Thread: oil problem

green
    98 formula

oil problem

I am getting oil in the down pipe I used the same oil restrictor from when it was rear mounted do I need a different restrictor or is there any way they go bad? the only difference from before is when I put the new motor in I used a high volume oil pump please only respond with knowhow no guesses

thanks

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

can you put a picture of where the turbo is mounted? That would help a lot.....and oil restrictors dont go bad.......if you can get us a pic we can go from there.....you may have it mounted too low for gravity drain.....

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    can you put a picture of where the turbo is mounted? That would help a lot.....and oil restrictors dont go bad.......if you can get us a pic we can go from there.....you may have it mounted too low for gravity drain.....
    yeah I first thought it was too low but the drain is about 3" higher than where it goes in the pan. the set-up is similar to the pham-speed set-up it is a y-pipe that goes up right in between the engine and radiator. I didnt think the restrictor could go bad. I do have a video of it but would have to find it.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

What size is the drain line? Russel Performance sells a flange with a -10 fitting on it that is great. That is the optimal size for a drain line. If you could get a pic or video and let me see I could help you out more......

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    What size is the drain line? Russel Performance sells a flange with a -10 fitting on it that is great. That is the optimal size for a drain line. If you could get a pic or video and let me see I could help you out more......
    well I finally got some pics uploaded but cant post them I could email them if thats ok with you

thanks; Joe

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

sure...email them to me at cailey@knology.net......I'll take a look at them...

Silver
    02' Camaro SS

Hey Joe,
    What kind of remote mount did you have? What does the restrictor look like? Is it in the turbo or the feed line? Is your turbo BB?

Send me the pics as well!!

spydermonkey_2001@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Chad Nielson; 06-16-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: P.S.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Nielson View Post
    Hey Joe,
    What kind of remote mount did you have? What does the restrictor look like? Is it in the turbo or the feed line? Is your turbo BB?

Send me the pics as well!!

spydermonkey_2001@yahoo.com
    U Got Mail

Red
    98 Trans Am

So what is the solution to the oil problem with STS or anyother Turbo application for that matter. What the best course of action to not get oil in the pipes?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    So what is the solution to the oil problem with STS or anyother Turbo application for that matter. What the best course of action to not get oil in the pipes?
    If you have a low mount turbo then you're going to have to have a pump to pull the oil out of it and send it back to the pan. STS will first have to work on a sump where the oil can just "fall" into it and allow the pump to pull it out. That way the oil doesn't sit in the turbo and spill into it. Believe me, it happens. Also, the STS kit has to work on the way their system pressurizes the system to cause blow by. Frost explained it perfectly in one of his post so I wont go into that one again. You also have the oil draining on top of the head. They should of had it run into the pan but I know they were trying to keep this a simple kit. What I dont like about STS is the fact that they know they have problems with it and when you confront them on it they say it's "an installer issue." I find it hard to believe that this many people have the same problems and it's because they are doing something wrong!

My turbo is up front and because of the location I have a sump on the turbo and use a Weldon pump to get it out and I have no problems with it! I wasted thousands of dollars in trying to make a STS kit work! I'll never install one again nor would I ever recommend them! They keep saying they have a "new improved" kit but I've yet to see the improvements.

Thread Information