Impulse Blue
    2006 GTO

Need Some Advice(Procharger)

Ok 2006 Ls2 GTO, Here's the goal. Not trying to make a million hp, want a daily driver that is going to last years without problems but still make some good power. Thinking about Procharger kit with 7psi boost. I want to leave EVERYTHING else on the car stock except maybe replaceing the dinky 2 pc. drive shaft. Maybe forged bottem end only if I HAVE to. Any comments, suggestions? Thanks.

golden
    89 grand prix

i think you'll want some supporting mods to go along with that set up. maybe some headers/exhaust etc. and if you are going to the trouble of building the bottom end why not just go all out and make it what you really want (unless your content with the output of just the blower). if you don't have the money to do it right how can you afford to do it twice?

White
    1999 WS6 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by PAULlikesyourcar View Post
    i think you'll want some supporting mods to go along with that set up. maybe some headers/exhaust etc. and if you are going to the trouble of building the bottom end why not just go all out and make it what you really want (unless your content with the output of just the blower). if you don't have the money to do it right how can you afford to do it twice?
    I dont recommend headers if your going to run a charger. It will only reduce the boost, (boost works because of back pressure, if you reduce back pressure, boost will drop) then you'll have to spin the charger faster to make the same boost. The smaller 6 rib pulleys slip alot, youll then need to go to an 8-rib setup.
    It would be a good idea for a catback system, Borla or Corsa makes a real nice system. Also, dont waste your money on throttle body, or maf's when under boost it wont make that much difference.
    I think ATI is the way to go, there great except for thier customer service.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by tyxpx View Post
    Ok 2006 Ls2 GTO, Here's the goal. Not trying to make a million hp, want a daily driver that is going to last years without problems but still make some good power. Thinking about Procharger kit with 7psi boost. I want to leave EVERYTHING else on the car stock except maybe replaceing the dinky 2 pc. drive shaft. Maybe forged bottem end only if I HAVE to. Any comments, suggestions? Thanks.
    Just get a good tune. A fuel upgrade would be recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by LUGNUTT View Post
    I dont recommend headers if your going to run a charger. It will only reduce the boost, (boost works because of back pressure, if you reduce back pressure, boost will drop) then you'll have to spin the charger faster to make the same boost. The smaller 6 rib pulleys slip alot, youll then need to go to an 8-rib setup.
    It would be a good idea for a catback system, Borla or Corsa makes a real nice system. Also, dont waste your money on throttle body, or maf's when under boost it wont make that much difference.
    I think ATI is the way to go, there great except for thier customer service.
    I disagree, you want headers. All that air coming in has to get out. Yes your boost will drop, but but power will increase.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

White
    1999 WS6 Trans am

Anybody have a dyno chart on this? I'm curious to see the difference!

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

I disagree, you want headers. All that air coming in has to get out. Yes your boost will drop, but but power will increase.
    This is true, on a boosted car you want the most free flowing exhaust you can possibly get. Backpressure is a myth and shouldn't be repeated. I know exactly squat about N/A cars so maybe backpressure is good for them too, although I doubt it.

White
    1999 WS6 Trans am

So, if you have a car making 475 horse power with 9 lbs of boost. Install headers on it, boost drops to 7 lbs. Will it make more horsepower?

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by LUGNUTT View Post
    So, if you have a car making 475 horse power with 9 lbs of boost. Install headers on it, boost drops to 7 lbs. Will it make more horsepower?

Yes because you will have a more efficient air flow through the engine thus resulting in more power. Like it was mentioned before the more air you stuff in the more that needs to come out.

Just take my car for example. Back in 2002 I had a catted y-pipe with Mac headers with my Procharger combo. Just from switching to an Off Road Y-pipe it gained around 20 hp and 30 ft lbs!!! That was just by removing a set of high flow cats. Now imagine removing the manifold/cats and replacing with a set of better flowing headers and y-pipe combo and I am sure you can draw your own conclusion of what will happen...

just my 2 cents here, but i have never seen boost drop noticably by installing anything in the exhaust tract. i wonder if anyone has a dyno sheet to prove this? i have seen cars pick up 20hp at wheels by installing headers after FI. perhapse with a very wide duration cam you could see some pressure drop, but with a factory split ive never encountered any noticable drop. like i said just 2 cents.

White
    1999 WS6 Trans am

Ok, makes plenty of sense now. I just thought the higher the boost the more horsepower. But, in reality alot of times the boost builds because of the restrictions in the motor or exhaust. I just wasnt thinking it through.
    Thanks for clearing it up.

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

if i was you i would contact Bob at EPP.(exotic performance plus) they do prochager kits on f-bodies. i think after the kit it should make around 450+rwhp. he knows a lot about the prochagers. sorry i though you were in a northern state. a local guy in s.c can help you as well. contact Bruce @ Hawks Thrid Gen. #864-855-2694. he does sts kits too

Thread Information