Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    98 camaro z28

need help on turbos

I have a 98 z28 with 256k miles and still ran a 14 at hub city, but i want to go alot faster. i have a low mile 6.0 4l80e combo that im gonna instal and i want to go front mount twin turbo. this will be full race but on a budget. what is the best way to start buy a kit or build my own. all info will help

thanks bubba

gold
    2000 honder accord

to help with budget go with a single larger turbo... tti sells kits.

red
    98 camaro z28 m6

do you have the fab skills do make your own?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I didn't think budget and FI could be used in the same sentence. Interested to see what people have in the form of ideas on this.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I know a few people that run STS rear mount turbos and they are really happy with them. Check out the web site - www.ststurbo.com. If your totally sold on a front mount I'd agree with andrew rs - go larger single.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

wanna go fast + a budget = NITROUS!
    HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS... EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE!
    **PHK**

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

i heard this one is actually decent... still gonna have to buy everything else needed but its a start... its for an ls1 but i think it will also work for a 6.0, not 100% sure though so dont quote me on it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=190318106962

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Honestly TT on a buget can't be done... Not from scratch anyway.. When you think TT think in thousands of $$ and that will get you there.. (ask me how I know)..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

This is my TT "starter" kit for a v6:

I could'nt fit it all on my home work bench for this pic..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-23-2010 at 09:45 AM.

white
    2000 Z28

like mr. lous usually say
    fast, cheap, reliable.
    choose two.
    is said 6.0 boost ready. they can handle some boost but if you plan to turn it up, you will need it forged. which is even more money than just the tt kit. the only way this project will be close to a "budget" project is if you do all the work yourself. which will take a lot of time whether you have the experience or not. and if you dont have that experience multiply that time by about 3 lol. from one bubba to another, get it done right, it will save lots of headaches and do plenty of research because that will save you money. it is nice to have a final goal but do not rush the project. trust me it is always nice doing what you want and having money in your pocket in the end(even if you can only buy yourself a snickers in the end lol). good luck with your build.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I must of missed this one somehow.....well I will tell you right off STS kits are junk! I wouldn't put one on my son's gocart much less a car! Search the forum, you'll see the issues with them and trust me, I've seen them first hand so I know. Now, someone was right when they said you can't put budget and FI in the same sentence. I took a look at the ebay kit and the words "you get what you pay for" come to mind. Things you have to think about are you'll have to upgrade the fuel system and then, when the thing isn't fast enough for you you'll have to forge the motor, then you'll want a bigger turbo then it's this and that....it keeps going and going and going....trust me, it doesn't stay on a budget. Some of these so called "kits" you'll still end up spending some money on them to make them work. Just depends on how deep your wallet is. I would look instead at a reputable speed shop that can build you a turbo setup. Not Scooter's garage that saw an episode or two of Horsepower TV and now all of a sudden they think they can build a turbo car. Someone that has built and has proven cars on the road. If you look around your area I'm sure you'll find someone. Precision Turbo is always a good place to buy turbos....that is where I get mine.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

OK, so I searched the forums on STS kits. No one really says why they are bad - just that they are. Maybe I missed something? Not saying I didn't. I'm just going by what I've experienced - couple of friends have them on their cars and they love them. Good power and never had a problem. Maybe they are the exception, I dunno.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

There's no real "kit" persay. However a starter kit is just that. The photos where used as an example of the enormity of the task for the average "Joe Makemgo". There was no intent to belittle anyones intellect. A starter kit is as the name implies a starter kit. One should know that these kits do not include everything you'll need to go down the road much less any track. Many companies use the same castings to produce turbine induction so buyer beware. Which is good advise anytime imho. Mostly it boils down to their guts. Some companies use great internal parts some do not. As stated above it's usually a matter of how deep thy pockets run and how far you think you'd like to go. As for my setup though it was less expensive for a reason, but still expensive. This is the way to go when your project has never been done before such as mine. Another reason some may choose the less expensive route is their mileage is high. I know alot of people think 100k on a certain motor of prefferance is not high mileage. But the fact is it IS high mileage, just because it runs good today with 150k on it don't mean it will last. Start pumping if full of pressurized air and fuel and I GUARANTEE it won't last as a DD or a track car for long. So with that said it would be sheer lunacy to throw thousands of hard earned dollars into an FI setup on a tired/getting tired engine OR a complete one off.. For me if it does'nt work I can just throw the effer away and try something else and only be out a few grand..(no offense to the OP or anyone else)

Nothing short of full forging the internals or @ least getting a good shop to precisely balance your old stuff.. But cast iron still has it's limits even if well balanced. In other words a full rebuild and fully forged internals is in order. I have nearly 15k in parts and machining alone for a 4 cam v6 chevrolet and the car still sits in 10 million pieces because I don't have the time I once had now and I STILL need sh&t.. I build my own stuff because I want to put my name on it so to speak if asked whom built my engine. Your best bet as a "new commer" to FI would be research, research, research, and research somemore. Then get your wallet ready for a huge hit no matter who builds your setup..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-23-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

That E-baby kit looks pretty good for $500

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy View Post
    That E-baby kit looks pretty good for $500
    Don't know whom you're refering too but the "kit" I posted was quite a bit more than 500 bucks... One should always be sellective when buying from a discount retailer.. You can get good things from e-gay but you can get not so good too..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-21-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

They removed the pic..

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

Why how much is it really?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Why how much is it really?
    My twins were over 1200.00 one year ago.. Not including the intercooler kit..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

2 X T3/T4 TURBO CHARGERS .50 A/R COMPRESSOR - .63 A/R TURBINE - 57 COMPRESSOR WHEEL TRIM.
    Mirage Power Balanced and blue printed turbos.

....and

2X WASTE GATE SET AT 7-8 PSI
    1X RS TYPE BLOW OFF VALVE.
    2 X BOOST CONTROLLERS.
    2 X OIL FEED LINE KIT- OIL RESTRICTOR.
    TURBO PIPING / INTERCOOLER PIPING KIT - 6061 ALUMINUM -2.5 INCH DIAMETER PIPING KIT.
    HIGH FLOW INTERCOOLER - SIZE : 28" X 8" X 2.5" WITH 2.5' INCH INLET/OUTLET

My turbos came with a limited replacement warrenty @ the time as well..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information