Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 WS6

Mods for future turbo

Im planning on getting an STS system later on down the road but before that I would like to do some other mods. I dont want to waste my money on parts that wont work well with the turbo.
    Should I even bother with exhaust? Would a 90/90 nick williams and fast combo work well? And what h/c package do you guys suggests?
    What other mods might work well?

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 WS6

The car is not my DD and I haven't taken it to the track yet but I will later on.

Black
    02 SS #8719

Well first things first. How is your drive line and suspension? Get those squared away first.

SILVER
    1998 Z28

From what I have read and understand, the only engine mods that could improve the preformance with STS kit is H/C, intake and TB. I agree with the above statement that drive and suspension upgrades would be a great investment. HOWEVER, like yourself I was?? looking toward the STS kit until I read where someone said that one side of the sub-frame connectors wouldn't work with the STS kit and subframes are, in most opinions, a must!! I would check with STS to make sure if the kit would or wouldn't work with sub frames. I would recommend to establish what HP goals you want to achieve and mod the car to handle the power 1st.

In the below link is a help guide as to what mods would be a good investment. Although, in the list, the final mod is a supercharger and if you do decide to go STS Turbo, then the factory manifolds fit are better than headers with STS kit and most of exhaust will be gone after STS install. ALSO, the list repeats like 3 times then there is an comment about the STS kit that you should read and judge for yourself. After I read this I would do some serious checking before I would go the STS way.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=540

Good LUCK!!!

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 WS6

Sorry I forgot to add my upgrades. slp sfc, slp stb, bilstein shocks, lid w/ k&n, and smooth belows. I also already changed out most of my bushings on the ws6 suspension. Is that enough suspension mods or do I need to go further?
    I had not heard anything about the sfc not working with the sts so thanks alot, I will look into that.
    Im looking for something that will be mainly just a street car with a few times to the track here and there. I want something over 500 but I want to do it right so that the car will last. I also plan on upgrading the transmission and rear end before I do h/c or an sts.

SILVER
    1998 Z28

That is around what I was going for and one reason I liked the STS (Turbo) kits, so that I could run low boast (normal driving) and crank it up when I need it. Price seems good on STS until you add all the required options, standard kit will run you over $5000+, more if you want gauges and boast control, just in parts. There are other turbos on the market and new ones just came out. There is atleast one front mounted turbo that allows you to keep A/C. In short all FI kits are around same money in the end.

Back to your post: I think a torq arm would be a must with the weak factory one and stress on trans mount, check out the above link I provided and it explains about everything. The larger slp sfc might be a real problem with a rear mount turbo, but I don't know. A better intake and tb would work on either route you go but the factory tb should be good to atleast 600hp. I love hp but it is useless if it can not be put to the ground. I have seen someone here with around 370-390 RWHP make 11's in the 1/4. I think at this point for a street car, to get the car to handle and hook the power will be the key to happiness!!! Good Luck!!

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 WS6

Thanks for the input guys, Ive been reading everything I can get my hands on so any new material is much appreciated. Im trying to get a better idea of what I want to do and plan out how I can my car there.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Also you may want to think about getting a forged bottom. your putting alot more stress on the engine and running on stock internals is just asking for trouble.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 WS6

Ive heard I need a forged bottom but what all does that include?
    Thanks

White
    2002 Camaro SS

Left side SFC will have to come off. The charge pipe is said by STS to substitute for it structurally. Don't do any exhaust, it won't help. Intake is not necessary until you reach much higher power levels (stock ls6 intakes have done over 900rwhp). H/C for N/A is different than what you would want for a turbo set up, so that would kind of be wasteful. To get the kind of power levels you are seeking, you don't need any of that stuff. An STS w/T67 upgrade, intercooler and enough fuel (pump, injectors) is all you need for power mods. Your money would be better spent on a new rear, drive shaft and clutch (built trans if auto).
    2002 Camaro SS STS T67 turbo

2003 SRT-4 some mods

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsword4 View Post
    Ive heard I need a forged bottom but what all does that include?
    Thanks
    I have a ruff Idea but that is a question i would like answered becasue i intend on having a TT set eventully and I think it better to be safe the sorry. I belive it means forged pistons and crank.... someone want to add to that.

White
    2002 Camaro SS

The stock crank is good to 8-900 hp, so you don't need that. Pistons and rods are all you need if you want to go forged. You can lower the CR at the same time as well. If you go much higher than 500rwhp, a forged bottom end is good insurance. It seems to me that there are many stock bottom end cars right around 500rwhp that survive pretty well. Of those that have gone higher, not many have survived long...

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

Yes, forged bottom end means your rotating assembly. That inculdes your crank, rods, and pistons. Once you go that far i would also suggest changing out your oil pump for a better one. Depepending on the mileage of the block, i would replace everything in the block, bearings and so on.

Black

where is a good place to get them? I don't plan on going over 500RWHP but hey you never know better to be safe the sorry.
    and For running about 7-9psi what is the best CR?

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

Hell if you don't plan on going over 500whp you can keep the stock crank, just freshen it up.
    I think if you don't want to spend too much i would go with Eagle rods and pistons. But you never know, you may find out that 500 to the wheel is not enough, plus with a tt setup you will easily go above that. Look at some of the sponsers on here, they got some good stuff for ya.

Thread Information