Thread: MAF

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

MAF

Is changing out the MAF a good mod? Does it really add 8-25 HP? The stock MAF is made of metal and the other ones I have seen are plastic. Are the after market better, do they last?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    Is changing out the MAF a good mod? Does it really add 8-25 HP? The stock MAF is made of metal and the other ones I have seen are plastic. Are the after market better, do they last?
    My guess is no.. Cleaning the MAF is good maintainance.. Porting it lets air flow a little better.. But imho not to gains of 8-25hp.. As for after market I don't know which is better..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

The after market MAF's don't have the screens on them. I switched out my lid to an SLP and cleaned everything I touched and had to blow off a bunch of debris. It doesn't seem like the after markets would be a good idea. Any body seen a MAF aftermarket with a screen? I guess I could put one on, but then what is the point of replacing it then.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I swapped mine out for a granatelli cause it went bad but otherwise the stock unit works fine.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

No, it is not worth the cost. However plastic maf ends are and will help with Heatsoaking on an FI car.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The stock MAF will support almost 500 h.p. As a general rule you should not de-blade it, de-screen it or port it. The MAF works by maintaining the small sensor wires at a certain temp in the airstream. By measuring the voltage required to hold the temp, the PCM knows how much air is coming into the engine. When you hack up the MAF you change its flow characteristics and this then throws off the reading. More air is actually coming into the engine than the MAF is reading and this results in a lean condition.

The issue with aftermarket MAF's is their calibration as it generally does not match the output of the stock unit for the same volume of air. Again, you usually end up with a lean condition when you swap out the MAF. With tuning software and an air-fuel gauge, you can shut off other engine sensors so that fueling is being controlled by the MAF and then make calibration changes in the MAF table. From what I have read posted by some of the tuners on here though, they still seem to have issues and are therefore not recommended.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

in general only change your stock maf with other stock mafs..like the 85mm oem units etc

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    in general only change your stock maf with other stock mafs..like the 85mm oem units etc
    Where would you get a 85mm oem one from?

black
    '02 trans am ws6

Ebay....got mine for $30.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6 View Post
    Where would you get a 85mm oem one from?

The GM replacement MAF for our cars is actually an 85 mm unit with a plastic housing. Pics and details in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113122

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by '02 WS6 View Post
    Ebay....got mine for $30.
    Couldnt find one on ebay with a good enough description to buy. You got a link

Black
    99 Silverado

Modifying the stock MAF is not good for the reasons stated above...

You really only need an 85mm if you have a stroker or wild heads/cam... and then, I recommend a stock one without the resistors in them (stay away from the crap from SLP) and tune the car for it... The ones that use resistors to skew the readings to "calibrate" them for an F-body are not accurate at all and can give some poor readings...

GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

9.62/140

I'm getting by on a stock MAF ECM tuned for WFO only

Thread Information