Thread: Ls1 STS Turbo?

Silver
    '02 WS6

Ls1 STS Turbo?

I have a stock automatic 2002 Trans Am WS6. I was thinking of getting a STS Turbo system installed, but would like to know if this system is reliable on a stock motor. I see there are no intercoolers with this system and wonder about issues with access heat. I don't plan on putting alot of miles on the car and I also don't plan to race and abuse the car after the install. Anybody with this setup or knows anything about this system please give me some feedback. I know this has probably been talked about in the past, but I didn't see anything specifically answering my question. Thanks, Ken!

Silver
    '02 WS6

By the way, I want to run the basic 5psi.. Nothing more!

03 Terminator

u will probably need to do atleast some other intake/exhaust mods atleast to compensate the need for more air. could b wrong though

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Power06
    u will probably need to do atleast some other intake/exhaust mods atleast to compensate the need for more air. could b wrong though
    what intake mods? he has a 02..

sts says stay away from lt headers and stuff with their kit..I don't knwo hwo true that is, but to run the 5psi stock..you don't need anything..and the long pipes help cool the air, plus since the turbo is in the back..its a lot less hot, BUT....get a proper tune on a dyno(with a good shop obviously) with the system...that is all you need with the kit.

Silver
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage

sts says stay away from lt headers and stuff with their kit..I don't knwo hwo true that is, but to run the 5psi stock..you don't need anything..and the long pipes help cool the air, plus since the turbo is in the back..its a lot less hot, BUT....get a proper tune on a dyno(with a good shop obviously) with the system...that is all you need with the kit.
    I was plan on getting it installed by Speed Inc. and have them do a good dyno tune. If anyone can do a decent tune, Speed Inc. can! I'm just wondering if the internals can take all that boost.

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Honboy1
    I was plan on getting it installed by Speed Inc. and have them do a good dyno tune. If anyone can do a decent tune, Speed Inc. can! I'm just wondering if the internals can take all that boost.

5psi isn't a lot of boost...epp has a 99 on stock internals running 15psi I believe and runnign low 11s. Its all in the tune that will make the car last or not, but you'll be putting down 400-450 hp probably..so you should be fine, i've heard tha tthe internals start to crap out at 450whp +

2002 Trans Am

I have a STS turbo on my stock LS1. Your car will do just fine with this setup. I run 4 psi daily and 8 at the track or when I'm racing. I've had this setup for over a year and my motor is completely stock and running strong. I would suggest you upgrade your fuel injectors and fuel pump with this kit for better performance. Intake does not need to be done and what do you suggest he does with the exhaust? It is an exhaust driven turbo so the exhaust gets done with the kit. I will be happy to answer any questions you have. Feel free to PM me.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Honboy1
    By the way, I want to run the basic 5psi.. Nothing more!
    Hehe...I said the same thing when I bought my kit!! See sig now?
    2002 Camaro SS-STS kit, LME built 370, h/c, and a bunch of other stuff

5psi-456 rwhp 498 rwtq ran out of fuel!!

Silver
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 02IKND
    I have a STS turbo on my stock LS1. Your car will do just fine with this setup. I run 4 psi daily and 8 at the track or when I'm racing. I've had this setup for over a year and my motor is completely stock and running strong. I would suggest you upgrade your fuel injectors and fuel pump with this kit for better performance. Intake does not need to be done and what do you suggest he does with the exhaust? It is an exhaust driven turbo so the exhaust gets done with the kit. I will be happy to answer any questions you have. Feel free to PM me.
    Thanks so much for the info!!! If I were to just run mild boost (4 psi) would I still need to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump? I just want to be able to run consistant low 12's on regular street tires.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

You wont NEED to upgrade the fuel with only 4lbs but just to be safe I would upgrade it. Besides...you say you wont, but we all know you'll want to turn the boost up lol. Might as well be ready for it.

The norm for stock engines is *roughly* 8lbs. They seem to hold up quite well at that level. If you want to play it really safe, upgrade the valve train and put some 6.0l (lq9) heads on. It will lower the compression and make the setup safer. There are a few people running 12+psi on the stock engine and well over 600 to the wheels and their cars are holding up fine. But you better make damn sure the tune is dead on.

2002 Trans Am

No you wouldn't HAVE to upgrade your fuel system, I just suggested that you should. And once you get the turbo on, trust me, you won't just want to run 4 or 5 psi. It's addicting and you'll want to be running more.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Transam

what times do you run at the track, and is that with suspension and slicks or radials have same set up

Black
    1998 Pontiac Transam

i also just bought the rear mount sts turbo system and patriot stage II heads fast intanke throttle body 90 90 set up 42 lb injectors fuel pump and i am going to have speed inc. dyno tune it. I want to run at least 8 psi and was wondering where i can get an intercooler for this set up and what rwhp rwtq i will have. 6 speed headers exhaust and small bolt ons no suspension with radials best et 12.61 @ 109.98 3rd gear bounceing off rev limiter at 6600 rpm hypertech with stock 3.42 gears after dyno tune can anyone give me an estimate of what times i will run in the 1/4 mi thanks
    Last edited by turbobird98; 01-09-2006 at 01:28 AM.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage

sts says stay away from lt headers and stuff with their kit..I don't knwo hwo true that is, but to run the 5psi stock..
    LT Headers are not used in a turbo application, are they? I thought it was a specialized application due to the exhaust spinning the turbo....

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys
    LT Headers are not used in a turbo application, are they? I thought it was a specialized application due to the exhaust spinning the turbo....
    The STS turbo is in the rear, where the stock muffler is located. So, LTs could be used.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    The STS turbo is in the rear, where the stock muffler is located. So, LTs could be used.
    Well damn, that makes sense, thanks for the info!

Thread Information