black
    2001 camaro ss

ls1 newbie turbo questions

Like the title says gentlemen. if anyone would be so kind as to educate me a little bit. my forged 383 ls1 will be getting some boost. I am mostly leaning towards an f1 procharger, but when recently confronted by a good friend witch "WHY DONT YOU GO TURBO, AND MAKE THE SAME POWER FOR 1/2 THE PRICE ??" It dawned on me, the answers was because i dont know $h1t about turbos.

couple of my questions:

1) will all my money in good ported heads be wasted on trying to force that air into the bottle neck of either the smaller turbo manifolds, or even further, the T4-6 flange?

2) how would i decide wich turbo to run considering the 1million options i see on the garrett site

3) will all the little ods and ends of piping and plumbing end up costing the same in the end ?

4) will a turbo system provide better longivity than a centrifigual s/c ?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

A turbo setup can be more expensive than a bolt on SC..

I would'nt recommend going cheap on turbo head units. If you go single or twin.

You need to get with a real builder of these types of systems before you start throwing money away.

Someone familier with building FI setups for LS engines.

just my .02
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-20-2012 at 04:09 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

black
    2001 camaro ss

Yes, I plan in spending good money for quality parts as I am looking for longivity.

Im not spending any money until I know how and why to pick out the setup myself.

I agree, there is nothing wrong with advice from a good builder, but. . . . In conjunction with educating myself as well.

I know there are gurus on this site with the ability to educate me, and thats what I am asking in this thread

White
    2008 Hummer H3

My opologies I was'nt trying to insult you or abilities.

black
    2001 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    My opologies I was'nt trying to insult you or abilities.
    its all good brother, I did not mean to come off like an a$$h01e, i understand that a system like this is very intricate and most people would have others install it, or tell them exactly how to do it, but i am hungry for knowledge as i would like to own a shop one day when i get out of the army. and i enjoy being able to spread knowledge to others . . . .

black
    2001 camaro ss

the more i read, im starting to think GT47-80 ish in size with a T6flange . . . . any thoughts ??

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

I don't mean to come off as a I might know something either, but I am thinking of doing the same thing as you, and am looking at Hot Rod Mag online, I found this;

How To Buy Your First Turbo - Hot Rod Magazine

Try this as they recommend the GT4708R turbo for my 364 cid 6.0, it gets it soon, I hope!

CORRECTION!!!! that turbo is actually a GT4508R - not the GT4708R listed above! Sorry!
    Last edited by RayzS10; 09-14-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've never seen any quality turbo system half the price of a supercharger. If anything, turbos are generally more expensive because they require more fabrication. Now if you want to piece a system together and make your own piping or buy piping from ebay, that's another story. Either way you look at it, it's not cheap at all to do it right with quality parts.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

I agree with Jon above; I have yet to see a turbo install that actually costs less than a normal every day Paxton, TVS, Eaton, Vortech, Wynn charger, Magnacharger, etc, etc. etc.... that being said, I think that once the turbo kit is on, it is easier to change the turbo parts for more or less power/ boost/ drive ability. Swapping the sides of a turbo system seem less complicated.
    JMHO.

That being said, I just looked at EBay and I think there is a great variation in prices with the Eaton, TVS, and Edelbrock systems, verses the older style systems such as Vortech, BDS, as well as the older style blower for the Edelbrock and Wynn charger systems. I think that with SOME applications. such as the 1998 to 2002 Camaro's, that have a couple of companies making an exhaust system pre-fabbed for them, could get it done for a nominal amount, like $3500.00 for a journal bearing turbo, and the GT4508R turbo at about $1000 more.

That $6500 to $7895.00 prices for the new generation blowers is WOW!! high. I don't see that in my budget, unfrotunately.
    Last edited by RayzS10; 09-14-2012 at 09:55 AM.

black
    2001 camaro ss

UPDATE: I know i'm resurrecting an old thread ( i have been deployed for a year ) but i figured i would keep you all updated. I have finally made my decision. Im going with a precision turbo over a procharger. for the most part its going to cost close to or over 8k ( F1A w FMIC, CRANK PIN KIT ETC ) to get the procharger set up to support my goals with room for growth.

my planned setup; PT88 turbo (t4, .96 a/r, billet wheel, 1250hp rated- 850whp max with my setup per the precision rep ), huge 1300hp treadstone FMIC, quality brand name, B.O.V., boost controller and wastegate, stainless works turbo headers for A.C. ($1300) , FMIC PIPING, all stainless steel hotside piping=GRAND TOTAL 4800$

now this is doing all the work my self with a good bit of cutting welding and fab work but im happy with the price and potential outcome. I have done a good bit of shopping around, research, and talking to the reps at PTE (PRECISION TURBO & ENGINE) that has been put into a spreadsheet if anyone is on the same path as me I am more than willing to spread the info.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Does that price include dual in-tank fuel pumps (or fuel cell), injectors, hardened push rods, new valve springs, gauges, and other miscellaneous components? Because that's A LOT of money as well. Don't forget about upgrading the suspension, drive train, transmission, clutch, internals of the motor to take that much power, tires, etc too.

black
    2001 camaro ss

no that price is just for the turbo and components required to run it. All those parts your talking about are things that would need to be purchased with either set up so i believe it is safe to assume that the turbo set up is the cheapest route, when placed against an F1 blower setup provided you have the ability to install it yourself. im getting excited because im about to start ordering a lot of stuff, and as soon as i move no North Carolina in a few months its gonna be going down.I already have a nice set of heads, callies compstar forged stoker kit with some nice wisecos, ls7 lifters, lifter trays, ls9 multi layer headgaskets, and some other goodies

Thread Information