PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

limits on stock ls1 rods

trying to figure out what turbo to get.How much HP--lbs/ft can the stock rods handle and LIVE(with ARP bolts).Thanks Alot

Blog Entries

Navy Blue
    2015 RS

Quote Originally Posted by 99transamC/FIA View Post
    trying to figure out what turbo to get.How much HP--lbs/ft can the stock rods handle and LIVE(with ARP bolts).Thanks Alot
    I have the same concern when it comes to the stock rods. I would like to know just how much RWHP/TQ the stock rods in a 2000 LS1 can take. For the most part I have a all new top side motor but left the bottom half is stock. Now I am putting down 624rwhp/524tq. The motor is not all the way tuned yet.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99transamC/FIA View Post
    The last I knew, the rods and pistons can only handle approx. 500hp relatively safely. The ARP rod bolts may help out some to stay together but that's not necesarily gonna make the rods any stronger. Maybe with a good tune and keep the boost to a minimum you should be ok for alittle while. I'm actually thinking of doing some type of FI to my car as well with the stock bottom end. I don't know if you have the ARP bolts in now or are plannning on putting them in. If they are not in already you may as well just save up some more $ and get better rods and pistons while the bottom end is apart.
    99 z28 cam,m6 ,S60 4.56gears,Fast 90/90 full boltons,more mods one day.
    11.2 @ 123mph.

Blog Entries

Navy Blue
    2015 RS

Quote Originally Posted by z28misfit View Post
    The last I knew, the rods and pistons can only handle approx. 500hp relatively safely. The ARP rod bolts may help out some to stay together but that's not necesarily gonna make the rods any stronger. Maybe with a good tune and keep the boost to a minimum you should be ok for alittle while. I'm actually thinking of doing some type of FI to my car as well with the stock bottom end. I don't know if you have the ARP bolts in now or are plannning on putting them in. If they are not in already you may as well just save up some more $ and get better rods and pistons while the bottom end is apart.

What is ARP? The stock rods and pistons can only handle approx. 500hp and still be safe. I am pushing it, guess if a worst case comes along I'll have to get another motor.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by roblelp View Post
    What is ARP? The stock rods and pistons can only handle approx. 500hp and still be safe. I am pushing it, guess if a worst case comes along I'll have to get another motor.
    ARP( American Racing Products) is an aftermarket bolt and fastener company. They seem to be pretty much the most popular company to go with for stuff like head studs and rod bolts and things of that nature. As far as the rods and pistons they just really recomend something forged or at least something stronger than stock if you are making more than 500rwhp. It's not to say the stockers wont take it, but it's only a matter of time before they decide to give up. If you're not out beating the shit out of the car all the time you should be ok.

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

500rwhp is not enough. i looked at aftermarket rods, and for $425(SCAT H-Beam) it don't make sense not to change them.Should be go to atleast 700rwhp. Id be better off for later down the line when 600 is not enough(HA,HA,HA)
    Thanks for the smack up side the head.

9.62/140

The pistons will probably give up before the rods but if you're gonna replace one then why not the other?

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

Already have the pistons.-11cc weisco's. working on a budget($4000.00)
    How i will sell the Harland Sharp Rockers Part #sls17a and go back to stock.
    $520.00 pistons w/pins and rings
    $250.00 Machine work(bore and hone)
    $300.00 ARP Hardware(main and heads bolts)
    $750.00 Rebuild stock heads w/ Ferrea valves
    $75.00 head gaskets
    $250.00 Bearings
    $125.00 timing chain
    $100.00 lifters(stock replacements on stock cam(02-ls6))
    $150.00 Oil pump
    $100.00 Pushrods
    $400.00 Rocker Arms or Rods $425.00
    Total~$3020.00 and i still need some gaskets
    Leaving about $800.00 for good used turbo(looking for 76mm). Alraedy have wastegate,BOV,and 60lbs injectors

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Shit....Buddy of mine is over 700RWHP on stock rods.....ARP bolts/forged pistons and whathaveyou....but stock ass rods.....he been that way for well over 2 years now....

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Shit....Buddy of mine is over 700RWHP on stock rods.....ARP bolts/forged pistons and whathaveyou....but stock ass rods.....he been that way for well over 2 years now....
    Are you sure he's on stock rods, I'm not calling you a liar but it would seem pointless to put new forged pistons in, rod bolts and keep the factory rods.But hey, that's awesome if it's staying together for him.

02.LS1 Anniversary Issue

dark purple/chameleon
    anniversary 02 camaro LS1

not be an ass but that kinda seems far fetched for all that on stock rods:_) but like the guy previous to me ....thats awesome if it is staying together for him:_)

Hang the Scat Rods on there and you wont have to worry about it.
    Your gonna be able to dial in moderate boost with a 11cc petri dish
    but your setting the bar a little high thinking your gonna bump 700hp
    with small-chamber heads.
    Drop the static CR to around 8.5:1......
    then you dial in some Serious boost

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

stick with stock as i say... i know someone with a 1200 hp TT vette... stock pushrods, daily driver, perfectly fine
    you ask him why he says its his fuse, and aftermarket will break, engine gone, stocker will bend and not screw anything up... guess it could but unlikely... you may lose a few hp but you save from rebuilding an engine...

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

the thing of it is, is that 1200hp on stock parts is ok if your not thrashing the car ever. You keep the rpms down when you shift and the motor will last for awhile, start pounding on it constantly and you'll find out how week stock parts are.

Silver

the thing of it is, is that 1200hp on stock parts is ok if your not thrashing the car ever. You keep the rpms down when you shift and the motor will last for awhile, start pounding on it constantly and you'll find out how week stock parts are.
    this guy is pretty darned rough on it.. its a c5 z06... drag races it and all all the time...
    but its a very very very well built car because he is one of the main workers at a place called rpm out here near dallas which is very well known for building some of the best fi lsx cars

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    stick with stock as i say... i know someone with a 1200 hp TT vette... stock pushrods, daily driver, perfectly fine
    you ask him why he says its his fuse, and aftermarket will break, engine gone, stocker will bend and not screw anything up... guess it could but unlikely... you may lose a few hp but you save from rebuilding an engine...
    uhhh you know that pushrods and con rods aren't the same, right?

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    uhhh you know that pushrods and con rods aren't the same, right?
    con rods?
    never heard of them sorry... but either way im talking about pushrods...

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    con rods?
    never heard of them sorry... but either way im talking about pushrods...
    He's talking about connecting rods. Horsepower really doesn't affect pushrods, its your valve spring pressure that would probably have the main affect on pushrod failure for a stock pushrod. So it doesn't matter much if that guy you were talking about with 1000hp has stock pushrods.

Silver

He's talking about connecting rods. Horsepower really doesn't affect pushrods, its your valve spring pressure that would probably have the main affect on pushrod failure for a stock pushrod. So it doesn't matter much if that guy you were talking about with 1000hp has stock pushrods.
    ok i agree with that.. i didnt realize we were talking about connecting rods i just went through and read everything.. all i read was the first post... and didnt think about it... my appologies to all

Thread Information