Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenne Bell

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Kenne Bell

Hey I know there is a system out for the ls3 on the new Camaro. Is it possible to put it on a ls1???

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

No probably not. The problem with KB/Whipples and F-body's is the cowl on the LS1's don't leave enough room and then if you hack it up enough to get it to fit then you have to deal with problems getting the pulleys aligned properly. There is a reason why no-one has one done up. DRE performance has a kit with a Whipple 3.3 for sale to the tune of like 6K-7K but not many people have used it. It fits under the cowl but the guy who used it on the Vette Forum had it sieze up on him... Like I said it is pricey and not many people have it on their car for real results to be published.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

oh well there goes my idea lol

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Procharger

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    Procharger
    Off topic but I saw your car parked in the Publix plaza today. Looked nice!
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

I manage the gnc there and palm bay. Stop in and say hi

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    I manage the gnc there and palm bay. Stop in and say hi

Ok, I have a place right around the corner in Capron Ridge in Viera. I will come by next time I am up there.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    oh well there goes my idea lol
    Put it this way. The kit alone will run you around 7. Tune and install will be at least another 3. Assume you have all the supporting mods (intake,exhaust,injesctors,12 bolt etc...) Your looking at at least 10k. For $10,000 you could build a NASTY 400+ stroker and be just as fast if not faster than a whippled LS1. Im sorry but I cant see a fbody whith a S/C (maybe a procharger), I dont think they were really made for that, unlike the cobras.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Magnetic Red II
    2004 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Put it this way. The kit alone will run you around 7. Tune and install will be at least another 3. Assume you have all the supporting mods (intake,exhaust,injesctors,12 bolt etc...) Your looking at at least 10k. For $10,000 you could build a NASTY 400+ stroker and be just as fast if not faster than a whippled LS1. Im sorry but I cant see a fbody whith a S/C (maybe a procharger), I dont think they were really made for that, unlike the cobras.
    Well, first you can't put a blower for an LS3 on an LS1 without plenty of fabrication. Second, dude you prices are a bit out of reason.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by GORILLAVETTE View Post
    Well, first you can't put a blower for an LS3 on an LS1 without plenty of fabrication. Second, dude you prices are a bit out of reason.
    I didnt mean take the blower and strap it on to an LS1. I meant to buy a similar set up (if there is one out there)

How are my prices out of reason?? A good quality shop will charge $90 per hour for labor, and having them re tune it once everything is in... I cant really see it being anything less than $2500-3000 for the install. I know people who got quoted $550 for just a headers install.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Like I said before even if you buy one of the KB units that fits an LS1 the belt situation and fitment under the cowl screws you right off the bat. Those are the two biggest reasons why no one ever attempts this... Numbers are all relative to where you are located and who you know.

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    No probably not. The problem with KB/Whipples and F-body's is the cowl on the LS1's don't leave enough room and then if you hack it up enough to get it to fit then you have to deal with problems getting the pulleys aligned properly. There is a reason why no-one has one done up. DRE performance has a kit with a Whipple 3.3 for sale to the tune of like 6K-7K but not many people have used it. It fits under the cowl but the guy who used it on the Vette Forum had it sieze up on him... Like I said it is pricey and not many people have it on their car for real results to be published.

Damn, I was following that thread for awhile but hadn't checked it lately. I was interested in this kit, but after talking to several good tuners I have come to realize Procharger is really the only way to go now for a good SC.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    Damn, I was following that thread for awhile but hadn't checked it lately. I was interested in this kit, but after talking to several good tuners I have come to realize Procharger is really the only way to go now for a good SC.
    IDK about that... the guy that tuned my car has done a few f-bodies with prochargers and he's done one with a magnuson kit. He was impressed by the magnuson. He still preffers the procharger because it is easier to fit and runs a little less money.

The magnuson kits run around 6500 w/install

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Maggie + 4th gen = reconfigured cowl

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    Maggie + 4th gen = reconfigured cowl
    Not always they offer a small shim kit that drops the subframe an inch and allows the maggie to fit. The main benefit of a maggie is that it doesnt take time to build boost like a centrifugal supercharger (procharger) at 2500rpm all the boost is in and its making 500ft lbs of torque and 450ish hp while the prochargger is still spooling up. Because of this the Maggie is a whole different animal and driving experience than a procharger.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Not always they offer a small shim kit that drops the subframe an inch and allows the maggie to fit. The main benefit of a maggie is that it doesnt take time to build boost like a centrifugal supercharger (procharger) at 2500rpm all the boost is in and its making 500ft lbs of torque and 450ish hp while the prochargger is still spooling up. Because of this the Maggie is a whole different animal and driving experience than a procharger.
    I knew about that, but didn't feel like going into a lot of detail with my post LOL. I haven't seen too many maggied f-bods, let alone with the shimmed subframe. IMHO, as long as you're doing all that you might as well put a meaner blower on top than an MP112, maybe a Kenne Bell or Whipple, or if you must use a MagnaCharger, go for a TVS.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I knew about that, but didn't feel like going into a lot of detail with my post LOL. I haven't seen too many maggied f-bods, let alone with the shimmed subframe. IMHO, as long as you're doing all that you might as well put a meaner blower on top than an MP112, maybe a Kenne Bell or Whipple, or if you must use a MagnaCharger, go for a TVS.
    Good luck with the pulley alignment with that. That is the most difficult part.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Good luck with the pulley alignment with that. That is the most difficult part.
    Why?

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Why?

Because Corvettes have different pulley alignment than F-body's do. In relocating some of them makes things difficult for the KB or Whipple. Then there is that damn cowl that always gets in the way. Those are your two biggest obstacles.

Magnetic Red II
    2004 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    I didnt mean take the blower and strap it on to an LS1. I meant to buy a similar set up (if there is one out there)

How are my prices out of reason?? A good quality shop will charge $90 per hour for labor, and having them re tune it once everything is in... I cant really see it being anything less than $2500-3000 for the install. I know people who got quoted $550 for just a headers install.

Damn...........I know plenty of folks with shops around Atlanta that would love to have you as a customer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information