Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Rare

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

How Rare

I was thinking today about this, and has anybody ever seen a trans am with a roots style supercharger and turbo setup before? I know it can be done and it would be expensive as all get out. I was thinking about maybe in the future after doing another deployment or 2 getting a lq9 block and doing that to it.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

well, altho Maggie makes a roots style s/c, I'm not quite sure it will fit under the cowl with out some serious surgery.... as to why one would do this, I'm not for sure, a turbo & s/c doesn't sound like the most efficeient (and I mean HP per $ spent) setup....

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Well think about it a supercharger is really great for low end power, and as it starts to run out of steam the turbo would have already kicked in by that point. So all in all you a making up for where the roots style starts running out of steam. The army does it with their most efficient motor, that they run in the hett that pulls around m1 abrams. But I am sure I can make the maggie work I already knew about that supercharger that was made for the lsx motors I believe. Just trying to see what the opinion is from everybody.

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    Maggie makes a roots style s/c, I'm not quite sure it will fit under the cowl with out some serious surgery.
    Here's a roots that will fit under the hood (i believe)....this is what I was looking at b4 I decided to build my '71 first. I just like the roots better than the centrifugal

http://www.lmspeed.com/magnachargerl...hargerkit.aspx
    Last edited by Musclecargt71; 11-22-2009 at 12:00 PM.
    "America is all about speed-Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I've read about it being possible obviously, but I've never actually seen anyone do it, and I've asked the question about a kenne bell before and why no one uses them.

Aparently they can't fit under the hood...

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Thanks for the website with that supercharger been looking all over the place to find out where to buy it. And I like the roots style supercharger to alot better than the centrifigal, seems more old school american and the sound of it is just music to my ears. That is what I would do before a turbo, but I thought about it and figured a turbo'd and rootstyled trans am would be pretty uniqe and a new idea that nobody has done before. And would create amazing power.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I'd like a magnacharger too, till i saw the price.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I'd like a magnacharger too, till i saw the price.
    yea I know that is the worst thing about the whole deal, but that would be something I would do later down the road if I decided to go all out on the ls1.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

You don't have to cut the cowl with a Vortech but it costs just as much for HO...

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    I was thinking today about this, and has anybody ever seen a trans am with a roots style supercharger and turbo setup before? I know it can be done and it would be expensive as all get out. I was thinking about maybe in the future after doing another deployment or 2 getting a lq9 block and doing that to it.
    yes it can be done( they do it on 5 and 6 second drag cars then boom at the end of the track ) if you want to pay an arm a leg and a ball for a shop to do it . or diy . i have seen it done on an import and after 50k dropped into the parts alone without forging the engine it was not a reliable car at all search scion tc supecharged turbocharged and you will see what i mean ( by no means do i care about those cars but the build was intresting).and it was a show car only if you are looking for a car that has by all means some type of forced induction look up a dual bearing turbocharger that has the powe rof 2 turbos with th eturbo lag of 1 turbo insead of 1 with a forged engine and then u can launch it to the sky in rpm's and then you have all the horsepower you need till your tires pop.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    yes it can be done( they do it on 5 and 6 second drag cars then boom at the end of the track ) if you want to pay an arm a leg and a ball for a shop to do it . or diy . i have seen it done on an import and after 50k dropped into the parts alone without forging the engine it was not a reliable car at all search scion tc supecharged turbocharged and you will see what i mean ( by no means do i care about those cars but the build was intresting).and it was a show car only if you are looking for a car that has by all means some type of forced induction look up a dual bearing turbocharger that has the powe rof 2 turbos with th eturbo lag of 1 turbo insead of 1 with a forged engine and then u can launch it to the sky in rpm's and then you have all the horsepower you need till your tires pop.

Yea this is true, but if I were to do it it would be done the right way, I will probably stick with a maggie supercharger. That will be after another deployment tho when I will have that kind of money might end up volunteering at the end of next year for a deployment to afgan land to save some money for a house then the later deployments will be for building the car lol.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

I would think if you were boosting enough, that the turbo would force in air faster than the supercharger could spin, thus slowing down the air. Just my thought
    2000 Camaro Z28 6 speed/cammed/hardtop
    Till the mother fuckin wheels fall off...

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K_CAMARO View Post
    I would think if you were boosting enough, that the turbo would force in air faster than the supercharger could spin, thus slowing down the air. Just my thought
    I guess it would depend on how much you are looking a pushing I would suppose, I am sure its a tuning nightmare to do this set up. But if you would think about it the turbo is picking up where the supercharger fails. Kinda like doing a sequential turbo, smaller turbo kicks in at a lower rpm, then the bigger one kicks in at a certain rpm so you have less lag.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

I see what your saying. Yes, it would be a tuning nightmare. It could be done with the right $$. Very interesting to see. But a friend of mine knows a guy with a 03 Cobra. Their is a twin turbo kit that will mount up and let you keep the supercharger on. Made good power, but then soon took of the supercharger and ran a faster time. Hasn't put it back on since. So thats telling me that a supercharger and turbo or turbos, wont be to good of an idea

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    You don't have to cut the cowl with a Vortech but it costs just as much for HO...
    OP wants a Roots Style S/C... Not a Vortech (Centri)

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Ok, Im not here to burst any bubbles or anything but I have grown up around boost on root engines. The total design of these setups isnt for a full powerband. They are built to have enormous torque at the bottom but after about 5000rpm the boost power begins to taper off. The reason is as Y2K Camaro stated, the turbo will outrun the super and cause very turbulent air that flows around the rotors in the super and just get overheated and waste HP's. The best full power boost setup is a sequential turbo setup. Small turbo with a huge wastegate feeding a larger turbo with a standard wastegate. Very popular in diesel trucks due to the explosive power throughout the full rpm range.
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, if it wasn't for fords our tools would rust

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Ok, Im not here to burst any bubbles or anything but I have grown up around boost on root engines. The total design of these setups isnt for a full powerband. They are built to have enormous torque at the bottom but after about 5000rpm the boost power begins to taper off. The reason is as Y2K Camaro stated, the turbo will outrun the super and cause very turbulent air that flows around the rotors in the super and just get overheated and waste HP's. The best full power boost setup is a sequential turbo setup. Small turbo with a huge wastegate feeding a larger turbo with a standard wastegate. Very popular in diesel trucks due to the explosive power throughout the full rpm range.

Oh dont get me wrong I know what a roots style supercharger is and where it works best at, but just wasnt sure if it would be worth it to do that and a turbo set up, you have some good points. And I think I have come to the conclusion to stick with just getting a roots style supercharger anyway.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Thats probably the best choice. A supercharged/turbo car would be cool to see for a show car, but not practical for an everyday car or a race car/track car/etc.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K_CAMARO View Post
    Thats probably the best choice. A supercharged/turbo car would be cool to see for a show car, but not practical for an everyday car or a race car/track car/etc.
    Yea I figured I would see what the thoughts were on it and see if it has been done or not. And if it had been done then what the pro's and con's of it were.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Its always good to ask

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information