Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    02 WS6

How many pounds of boost.

Hello everyone my name is dennis. I have a BLK 02 WS6 and just purchased a power dyne supercharger. How many pounds of boost can I handle safely. Currently the car is a full bolt-on+150 wet shot now. I am removing the spray but what do you guys think I need to do and what do I need.

NBM
    2000 Camaro SS #5108 A4

I think you can only run 6lbs of boost, due to it not being intercooled. That should net you an added 60-70 rwhp.
    2000 Camaro SS # 5108 NBM A4
    10.94 @ 124.70 1.71 w/ broken tranny (563 rwhp/477 rwtq)
    Forged LS6 347, D-1SC #10, Patriot LQ9 Heads, LG G5XB Cam, SLP headers, Alky Control, Yank SS3600, BMR suspension
    http://lsx.streetfire.net/video/a7c7...2000a4809f.htm

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

5psi without the intercooler, 8psi with an intercooler.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Well...just my 2-cents but depending on the intercooler if you put 10lbs of boost to it you will probably see about 7lbs coming out of the intercooler.....The best advice I can give you is have someone hook it up to a wideband O-2 sensor and a Tech-II, if you can get your hands on one, but there are some other programs there that will monitor the engine while you tune it.....keep playing with the timing until you get some knock and then back off......basically.....leave the tuning to a pro.....if you go to some of these "backyard" mechanics you could end up having a WS-6 sitting with a blown motor.....
    I guess to answer your question about how much boost is safe would depend on if the motor was built to handle it....a stock motor should safely handle 7 or 8 lbs and maintain the day-to-day reliability.....of course...I've said it before...you can throw 10lbs or more to it but just dont expect it to live very long.....I know some will argue that but to those I will be glad to show you my original motor that we threw 10lbs of boost to and it lasted like 10K miles before it decided to crack the cylinder wall....of course me driving it like I'm qualifying at a NASCAR race didn't help matters also..

ok...I've rambled enough......hope that helps some....

Faster than....

Red
    1998 Cherokee Classic

You wont be happy with the Powerdyne....unless they have changed they have an internal belt drive.
    They have not made good power on a LS1 without a bunch of work.

Don

NBM
    2000 Camaro SS #5108 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Blown 98 Z
    You wont be happy with the Powerdyne....unless they have changed they have an internal belt drive.
    They have not made good power on a LS1 without a bunch of work.

Don
    Thats why I said 60-70 hp. They are not effecient at all. You can do a cam, headers and boltons and get better results. Sorry man for the negativity.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

the biggest thing is gonna be tuning, with a really good tune i could see you running more then 6psi. i've ran 8-10psi non intercooled before on one of my cars no problem but of course i was running 94 octane.

start out low don't get greedy and turn the boost up

Black
    02 WS6

thanks guys, I am going to start with 6lbs and try to put an intercooler on. Any suggestions on a good intercooler. The only reason I bought it is because I got the whole kit for 2k. We will see what it does though

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker
    thanks guys, I am going to start with 6lbs and try to put an intercooler on. Any suggestions on a good intercooler. The only reason I bought it is because I got the whole kit for 2k. We will see what it does though
    If you're going to only run 6lbs of boost why not try a Snow Performance methanol Injection kit????? You can plum it to your windshield washer tank and fill it with winshield washer fluid that has 50 percent methanol. That way you get a true 6lbs of boost to the motor....an intercooler will cut that down to about 4lbs depending on the restriction.....you can expect a decrease of inlet air temps from 60 to 100 degrees chemically......wont get that from an intercooler......and it's not going to be that much more over the cost of one...

Faster than....

Red
    1998 Cherokee Classic

You will spend the same amount of money to upgrage your Powerdyne kit as you would have if you had bought a Procharger.

2k or not you get what you pay for.

Don

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37
    If you're going to only run 6lbs of boost why not try a Snow Performance methanol Injection kit????? You can plum it to your windshield washer tank and fill it with winshield washer fluid that has 50 percent methanol. That way you get a true 6lbs of boost to the motor....an intercooler will cut that down to about 4lbs depending on the restriction.....you can expect a decrease of inlet air temps from 60 to 100 degrees chemically......wont get that from an intercooler......and it's not going to be that much more over the cost of one...
    6psi he shouldn't even need a i/c with atleast 93 octane. but you can try the poor mans intercooler aka alky injection. it works well yes and wishield waser fluid is cheap and does the trick. i'd just this as a back up.

but getting a intercooler for 6psi i don't see the need. and if you get a nice intercooler not some cheap ebay one, you won't get alot of pressure drop.
    also you don't need a big front mount with this setup

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Qwk94Z28
    6psi he shouldn't even need a i/c with atleast 93 octane. but you can try the poor mans intercooler aka alky injection. it works well yes and wishield waser fluid is cheap and does the trick. i'd just this as a back up.

but getting a intercooler for 6psi i don't see the need. and if you get a nice intercooler not some cheap ebay one, you won't get alot of pressure drop.
    also you don't need a big front mount with this setup
    Not even sure how you can call it a poor man intercooler when you get better inlet air temp drops from methanol than an intercooler.....and yes...some people have to run an intercooler for 6psi...just depends on the application...and yes.....you will get a drop in psi......

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37
    Not even sure how you can call it a poor man intercooler when you get better inlet air temp drops from methanol than an intercooler.....and yes...some people have to run an intercooler for 6psi...just depends on the application...and yes.....you will get a drop in psi......

1 its a figure of speech
    2 i think we covered all those other statements and we all know the answers

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Qwk94Z28
    1 its a figure of speech
    2 i think we covered all those other statements and we all know the answers

To think...all these years I've been building Turbo cars......you'd think I know a little something about it....

Black
    02 WS6

Okay thanks for the info. I am getting it dynoed tuesday, so we will see what it does. The car is still set up for n2o thoug. Do you guys think with 6 lbs of boost I can handle a 50 shot??? The motor is all stock internals but I have longtubes and a bbk throttle body. Let me know if this is an option please???

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Okay thanks for the info. I am getting it dynoed tuesday, so we will see what it does. The car is still set up for n2o thoug. Do you guys think with 6 lbs of boost I can handle a 50 shot??? The motor is all stock internals but I have longtubes and a bbk throttle body. Let me know if this is an option please???
    You should be ok.....just get a good tune on it......just remember what I was once told when it came to putting power adders and things to cars....It's your motor...you can do what ever you want to it........wanna throw 20lbs of boost to it...go for it......the point being....build the motor for what you want from it....reliability???? Plain old Fast???? A little of both???? If you want to keep the stock internals for now dont go over 6lbs of boost.....as far as the NOS goes......I wouldn't go over 50......believe me...you'll be tempted.....you're gonna get in the car and see how much fun it is to drive and then you'll want more....it's a drug.....and you'll get hooked....lol Just be carefull.....

Black
    02 WS6

Hey guys I put the blower on today ran in to a couple of problems but all in all it was a good experience. I have a question though, I had to buy after market fans and they mount on the front side of the radiator. Does positioning of the fans matter. My car over heats when it is just sitting there but cools down when I am driving. I out the fans really low on the radiator. Maybe I am supposed to center them?? I dont know, let me know what you guys think. Thanks a lot for the info.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

i've see them split, one low one high usually. also since they mount on thr front side they are a push fan correct? if not that can cause your overheating problem

Black
    02 WS6

okay I will put one high and one low. And yes they are front mount and they push the air through the radiator.

I got a Vortech setup on my 98 SS with intercooler an 2.95 pulley my car made 435 before the tune an 471 after the tune. Bruce (Hawks Performance) told me 8psi was about the max on the stock internals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information