Black
    2002 WS6

Help me move my rear mount up front.

Ok, let’s keep this thread serious.

I have a 2002 WS6 F-body. I built a 408 LS3 top end, Mildly ported heads, and I built a rear mount turbo kit running a GT-88 turbo with a Precision Turbo .96 AR T-4 flanged turbine housing on it. I have all the supporting mods too, dual in tank GS340SS fuel pumps, Methanol injection, front mount intercooler, 80# Siemens injectors, I do the tuning with HP Tuner, Moser 9" rear end with 3.70's (I will probably change these to 3.20), have a 4L80E with transbrake on the way as we speak, plan on putting a twin disk Square D Billet 3400 stall in it. And allot of other shit to go with it.

Here is the thing, it all works well but I can not stand a few things about this rear mount setup:
    1) I hate the lag time, that’s why I am going to the Transbrake with the 4L80. I am hopping it will fix my lag issue at the track. On the street the lag time is ok.
    2) I can not stand how loud the car is. I guess I am getting old, I want this thing to be much quieter, I like the turbo whine when WOT but the cam does not lope enough, so it sounds to me like a car with no muffler. It just does not sound right, a car that lopes good sounds great with a loud exhaust note, but if it idles smooth then loud just sounds silly to me.
    3) Ground clearance at the rear of the car. I do not like the way the pipes look from the rear of the car, the turbo is just too big to be sitting back there.

I want to move this thing up front, but I will not modify the car in such a matter that permanently changes things, like cutting the top radiator support out. I do not mind relocating the battery; alternator and things that I can reverse, but doing things that are permanent is a no go.

Here is what I am thinking:
    1) Changing the engine cradle out (stock) to a BMR turbo cradle for more room to run piping on either side of the engine.
    2) Removing the aluminum radiator and buying a Griffin (or who ever) radiator that will fit standing straight up between the lower and upper radiator supports.
    3) Placing the GT-88 up front between the radiator and the engine. I have the 1.08 AR T-6 turbine housing I could use but I think I will try the T-4 .96 PT Housing first.

So if you have any advice or tips, please post them up.

green
    98 formula

I moved mine up front too. I did some cutting to make it all fit. Maybe you could mount it between the radiator and bumper by removing the inner bumper structure? You will need to re-usethe electric oil pump though.

Black
    2002 WS6

I do have the bumper removed but the intercooler is there. I don't kow if there is room there now.

Were are the different places people have put them? What all did they have to remove to place it there? Has anyone tried using a shorter radiator and stand it staight up? If so, were did they get it and did it cool as good? What thickeness did they go with? Did they have to put pusher fans on and if so what part number fans and were did they get them? Right now I am still using the factory fans, I think they will have to be removed and pushers put up front in order to get that extra room.

Black
    2002 WS6

What did you have to cut?

green
    98 formula

I had to cut out the radiator support then section it back in. My radiator is a griffin it stands straight up and is shorter than stock. I used 1 puller fan seems fine so far. You should be able to fit the turbo in front or to the side of the I.C. Or run a meth kit. If I had it to do over I would have bought a kit car to build I cannot imagine ever putting mine back stock.

Black
    2002 WS6

I am running an intercooler and a meth kit. I am using my window washer fluid tank for the meth kit, and I removed the front bumper and built mounts that hold my intercooler were my bumper was. Did you have to remove the ABS sytsem? I have already relocated my alternator. If I would not need to remove the ABS, I think I will start gathering the parts to mov my turbo up front. I still would rather try to get a radiator that will fit under the upper support without having to cut it out. I am not sure that would be enough radiator though.

green
    98 formula

If you do find one to fit its gonna be a major P I T A to add fluid. I put a big notch in mine to clear the cap.

Black
    2002 WS6

I was thinking of having the fill installed on the side to come out from under the support. That part would not be a problem, just if the radiator would be able to handle the heat rejection.

green
    98 formula

Ok I thought you wanted an off the shelf radiator. I used a smaller but with more cores. Maybe if I road raced it may not be enough, but I believe it is fine for cruising/drag racing.

Thread Information