Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

81 camaro
    2001 trans am ws6

Gen ttr turbo kit

i was wondering how many of yall are running this turbo setup or know some one , see im about to buy one i want your opinion about it, and also what supporting mods do i need

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

well that kit will support gobs of power. My only problem with it is that it sits so low to the ground, on of the pipes runs under the oil pan...... If you have a lowered car it is a no-no

81 camaro
    2001 trans am ws6

yeah its kinda low so what type front mount turbo should i go with

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

well there are quite a few options, do you want a single or twin setup?
    Is money an issue?

81 camaro
    2001 trans am ws6

i was planning to spend around 7k i wouldn't mind having twins but if i could get my hands on a single i would perfer cuz lots of people you could get more power in one than having two but again thats being picky i just want a front mounted turbo kit for my baby
    Last edited by nate_the_great17; 09-26-2007 at 11:15 AM.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

I got the APS twin kit. I don't have it installed but several guys on other ls1 board do.
    The quality looks top notch. It comes with huge intercooler every nut and bolt.Ground clearance is good but it does require a new bmr k member which had to buy separately.It also comes with no ypipe. The kit was on special for 5500 shipped and think they might have a couple left at that price. I got it a bit too late in the season to install it and am thinking now to do another engine and do it all in spring.
    They also have a website.Air power systems and you can look at the system and read the installation manuals they are online also. This kit also keeps the air conditioning and all accessories and does not use a oil scavenger pump like some other systems.
    It can give about 1000engine hp. That should be enough for just about anyone.Turbos are fairly small for quick spool and are tweaked mits 20gs rated at 50pound airflow at 18psi.

Silver
    02' Camaro SS

Hey Nate look up the turbo kits on www.ststturbo.com. There current system hangs low as well but they are developing a new system that is not that bad. There are building the new kit off 2" lowered T/A

81 camaro
    2001 trans am ws6

what supporting mods do i need, see i want too get this set up with my tax return i have ported heads and a mild cam. if you could give me a basic idea i would apriciate it thanks

Silver
    02' Camaro SS

Well there are so many mods out there as far as the motor, but if you do go with a STS turbo I would not do anything to the motor. I would however invest in fuel managment and tuning products. Like a wideband 02 sensor, Boost gauge, Tuning (I recommend Diablo Sport or HP tuners), and possibly methanol injection. If you have any other Questions about STS let me know. I work there.

81 camaro
    2001 trans am ws6

how is the ground clearance and becouse it's rear mounted can any water get into it and how much are they

Silver
    02' Camaro SS

Well on the old design the ground clearence in my eyes was horibble, but alot of people have the kit and dont complain that much. As far as water getting in it is highly unlikely, we use a K&N style filter that has oil, we cover the filter with a waterproof sock, and we also place a aluminum shield over the filter assembley. You can get a really good kit for around 4.5K. As a personal aspect, I have been working there for 2 years and i have had my car for about 8 months. After waiting for that long before turboing it i will be putting one on in the spring. Because i had the same concerns and worries that everybody else has.
    A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK!!!!

81 camaro
    2001 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Nielson View Post
    Well on the old design the ground clearence in my eyes was horibble, but alot of people have the kit and dont complain that much. As far as water getting in it is highly unlikely, we use a K&N style filter that has oil, we cover the filter with a waterproof sock, and we also place a aluminum shield over the filter assembley. You can get a really good kit for around 4.5K. As a personal aspect, I have been working there for 2 years and i have had my car for about 8 months. After waiting for that long before turboing it i will be putting one on in the spring. Because i had the same concerns and worries that everybody else has.
    what does the new design look like and how much

Silver
    02' Camaro SS

well there are a couple of things, it looks roughly the same, the pipes are right next to the car, and the best thing is we will be offering a I/C. The price will also be close to the same. Between 4 and 5 K depending on options and turbo size and type.

81 camaro
    2001 trans am ws6

well there are a couple of things, it looks roughly the same, the pipes are right next to the car, and the best thing is we will be offering a I/C. The price will also be close to the same. Between 4 and 5 K depending on options and turbo size and type.
    i do that one can i run it on stock compresion and fuel rail

Silver
    02' Camaro SS

Yes sir we actually have another guy who works with me he has a 99 T/A with 130000 miles on it running 12 psi with methanol on stock everything. Although i do not recommend it.

I lied he has done Injectors and Plugs, witch come in the kit.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

you cant beat the quality and design of an APS kit. once installed it looks like it came like that from the factory. its also pretty stealthy cause you dont need to hack up the front bumper for the front intercooler. only downside to these kits is you wont make more than 900rwhp as the turbo's are too small and you have to use a BMR K-member. to me, its a small price to pay to have a wicked fast street car.
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

81 camaro
    2001 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by TNTramair View Post
    you cant beat the quality and design of an APS kit. once installed it looks like it came like that from the factory. its also pretty stealthy cause you dont need to hack up the front bumper for the front intercooler. only downside to these kits is you wont make more than 900rwhp as the turbo's are too small and you have to use a BMR K-member. to me, its a small price to pay to have a wicked fast street car.
    do you have any pics or vids of the aps kit in your ride

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

i dont have any pics of mine but heres a link to a thread with the kit..the guy did a step by step intall documented with pics. the kit can be seen on page 6...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...=769654&page=6

Silver
    02' Camaro SS

You are right there kits are pretty good, but as far as quality, fit and finish the STS kit and the APS kits are hand in hand. There Intercooler is pretty sweet but how does it get air and if it gets air next to the radiator then you would probably have over heating problems. We also cant forget about the the K-MEMBER that makes the kit virtually impossible to install for the back yard man. Plus for around the same price you can get a kit from STS and change turbos on a whim. Just by lifiting the rear end with a floor jack. I also hate the fact that you need to drill a hole in the pan for the oil return.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

You are right there kits are pretty good, but as far as quality, fit and finish the STS kit and the APS kits are hand in hand. There Intercooler is pretty sweet but how does it get air and if it gets air next to the radiator then you would probably have over heating problems. We also cant forget about the the K-MEMBER that makes the kit virtually impossible to install for the back yard man. Plus for around the same price you can get a kit from STS and change turbos on a whim. Just by lifiting the rear end with a floor jack. I also hate the fact that you need to drill a hole in the pan for the oil return.
    there are no overheating problems...the radiator and intercooler both get plenty of air.
    whats the problem with drilling a hole in the oil pan???

can you honestly tell me that the STS oil pump is a better idea?

im not a dealer for APS but you sound like your pushing the STS kit pretty hard so more power to you. i was just giving the OP an additional option for Forced induction. i dont think replacing a k-member is as big as a deal as your makin it out to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information