Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Forged internals for FI

What forged internals have people on here with FI gone with?

Did you just change out the pistons and connecting rods? Or did you go with a new crank also?

I've heard the stock crank is pretty stout.

While you were in there, what else did you change out?

Also, how difficult and time consuming is this for someone who has never done anything like this before?

Jon

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I just did forged pistons, new rings, rods, and a stock re-balanced crank. I had the block honed, used new bearings, main studs, and replaced the lifters. Also used an LS6 valley cover and PCV system with it. I am sure there were a few other things that I left out but that is what I can remember off the top of my head. I had a shop do it for me and it took about a month and half or so.
    Last edited by Packy; 11-07-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Red
    1994 Mustang

Stock crank is good to 700hp or so. As with anything a good tune will make the engine live or die. Generally for someone wanting a street car, the stock crank is fine, as long as it's rebalanced. Upgrade the rods/pistons/rings/bearings, new oil pump, timing chain, and a camshaft. Also get a good set of valve springs to accomodate the cam/boost. Depending upon your level of confidence, I would consider the freshen up easy...However I'm very confident in my work, and have done this many times...If you don't feel comfortable, take it to a reputable engine shop, should have it in and out within 1-2 months.

Pewter
    2002 z28 A4

what is re-balancing a crank shaft ?

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

subscribed, packy does ur bird have a 346 in it?

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro Loco View Post
    subscribed, packy does ur bird have a 346 in it?
    Yes it does.

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

so allu did was forge the aluminum block, no problems with it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by WhatUpWhatUp View Post
    what is re-balancing a crank shaft ?

If you change rods and/or pistons you should have the rotating assembly re-balanced to compensate. The builder either removes weight (by drilling the counterweights to remove metal) or adds weight (by drilling the counterweights and then inserting a heavier metal into the hole).

Jon: Going bigtime? Very cool -- just make sure she's back together for the party next year!

pewter
    2002 ws6 trans am

I would also consider arp headstuds. All was fine when I was running 8lbs of boost, then I went to 11lbs blew a headgasket and since the motor was apart I decided to forge it.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro Loco View Post
    so allu did was forge the aluminum block, no problems with it?
    Yep just forged LS1 block. I have had no issues with it in the last seven years.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by DJKY View Post
    Stock crank is good to 700hp or so. As with anything a good tune will make the engine live or die. Generally for someone wanting a street car, the stock crank is fine, as long as it's rebalanced. Upgrade the rods/pistons/rings/bearings, new oil pump, timing chain, and a camshaft. Also get a good set of valve springs to accomodate the cam/boost. Depending upon your level of confidence, I would consider the freshen up easy...However I'm very confident in my work, and have done this many times...If you don't feel comfortable, take it to a reputable engine shop, should have it in and out within 1-2 months.

I also used a ported LS6 oil pump and of course a new timing chain and cam when it wsa built.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If you change rods and/or pistons you should have the rotating assembly re-balanced to compensate. The builder either removes weight (by drilling the counterweights to remove metal) or adds weight (by drilling the counterweights and then inserting a heavier metal into the hole).

Jon: Going bigtime? Very cool -- just make sure she's back together for the party next year!
    I have about 10K saved up. I don't know "how big" I can go just yet. I'm thinking at this point I can just either add the Procharger and run 8lbs of boost and forge and change out the other items later. Otherwise I only have enough to change out the cam/heads and forge it now, along with the other items, and will have to wait on the Procharger one more year. I don't think I have enough to do everything at once like I would like.

Packy - What brand did you go with? Did you lower compression when you changed out the pistons?

black
    1998 trans am

I used Mahle pistons and Scat rods. I reused a stock crank.

You will need new bearing and just take your time and do it good the first time.

Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Mark - Are you offering the rebate that Procharger has going on right now?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'll just throw this out there Jon.. My little v6 is good too 500hp on a stock crank.. I won't be making that @ all.. However I still went with a forged crank.. just my .02. Good luck bro..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

black
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Mark - Are you offering the rebate that Procharger has going on right now?
    yes sir I might even give some more off.

Mark

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I have about 10K saved up. I don't know "how big" I can go just yet. I'm thinking at this point I can just either add the Procharger and run 8lbs of boost and forge and change out the other items later. Otherwise I only have enough to change out the cam/heads and forge it now, along with the other items, and will have to wait on the Procharger one more year. I don't think I have enough to do everything at once like I would like.

Packy - What brand did you go with? Did you lower compression when you changed out the pistons?

I used Diamond Dish pistons with the pro select rings and I lowered the comp. ratio to 9.6:1. I also used the GM MLS head gaskets. There are complete shortblocks out there for around $3,300.(http://www.speedinc.com/enginepackages.cfm) or $1300(http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/sponso...ks-1300-a.html)

I think with 10K you could do the forged block and a D1SC kit. I don't know what else you have done to your car but I think you can do it if you budget yourself correctly and do your own work.
    Last edited by Packy; 11-08-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    I used Diamond Dish pistons with the pro select rings and I lowered the comp. ratio to 9.6:1. I also used the GM MLS head gaskets. There are complete shortblocks out there for around $3,300.(http://www.speedinc.com/enginepackages.cfm) or $1300(http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/sponso...ks-1300-a.html)

I think with 10K you could do the forged block and a D1SC kit. I don't know what else you have done to your car but I think you can do it if you budget yourself correctly and do your own work.
    Thanks for the links. Right now performance wise I just have LTs, ORY exhaust and a lid. The rest of the car is pretty stout I believe. Mods in sig.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Thanks for the links. Right now performance wise I just have LTs, ORY exhaust and a lid. The rest of the car is pretty stout I believe. Mods in sig.
    You are ready for a blower! Buy a kit now with injectors and a fuel pump then get it tuned! You will have enough money so you can sort out going forged later. Especially in Illinois the air stays relatively crisp there. It's a perfect blower climate! I grew up there.

Red
    1994 Mustang

With 10K, you can install forged rods/pistons, port the factory heads (or trickflow 215), and possibly even do the procharger kit. Run the stock crank as long as it's not damaged. They are fairly stout, and hold up well to 700HP

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information