black
    2000 z28

forced induction choices

i have a 2000 m6 z28 , it only has about 45,000 miles on it and i would like some form of forced induction i just cant decide what . so far the car is pretty stock just a exhaust and air lid . my goal is about 500 hoarses and im willing to spend about 6 thousand . the car will be daily driven , but i would like to take it to the track every once in a while . i really whant to leave the bottom end stock for know . i was thinking of the procharger kit or maybe sts . any help or ideas would be great

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

Go with the methonal injected sts kit! you will be pushing 500 to the wheels and it is by far the best sounding exhaust note you will ever hear. Some guys say procharger some say vortech, but I have ridden in f bodys with both and sts blows them away and is less expensive.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakillincamaro View Post
    i have a 2000 m6 z28 , it only has about 45,000 miles on it and i would like some form of forced induction i just cant decide what . so far the car is pretty stock just a exhaust and air lid . my goal is about 500 hoarses and im willing to spend about 6 thousand . the car will be daily driven , but i would like to take it to the track every once in a while . i really whant to leave the bottom end stock for know . i was thinking of the procharger kit or maybe sts . any help or ideas would be great
    There are a lot of good choices.......your 500 ponies to the wheels is a good number to stay at or below. If you go much higher you'll be rebuilding your engine. Much of your decision will lie on what you really want to do with the car in the long haul and what your preferences are. Maybe you could start by calling STS & ATI and asking a lot of questions.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6402

Read through this thread, even though it's talking about a ProCharger, many of the suggestions of what to do to the car apply to almost any major addition in horsepower. There are pros and cons to turbos & superchargers, you just have to decide which one you like the best. Good luck!

black
    2000 z28

i was kind of thinking of getting the sts kit from trtturbos.com , if i go with a turbo . there kit comes with injectors and a pump , gauges and a huge front mount intercooler .

white/orange
    97 camaro

for your power goals, go supercharger, you'll have may better throttle responce. also with the sts turbo kit, you'll just have a bunch of parts hanging off your car and make it harder to work on.

white/orange
    97 camaro

better yet a built n/a motor will give you alot more the 500hp, and you can add juice! plus is alot nicer looking.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakillincamaro View Post
    i was kind of thinking of getting the sts kit from trtturbos.com , if i go with a turbo . there kit comes with injectors and a pump , gauges and a huge front mount intercooler .
    Ok....my two cents......if you go with the STS kit it's ok.....I built mine off their design......I just like the fact that I could keep my A/C.......it's a decent system and I think you'll be happy with it......as for the intercooler.....wouldn't use it!!! Get a Snow Performance Methanol Kit and you'll be fine......it works better than a intercooler and you dont lose boost. If your turbo is putting out about 7-8psi you will lose about 3 of that thru an intercooler.......dont have that loss with methanol........When I took my car to the dyno my inlet air temps went from 154 degrees to 94 degrees!! And you get the benefit of increased octane......you would be able to safely run about 7lbs of boost with one.......

white/orange
    97 camaro

cool im glad your kit works for you.. but it could work better in the front and you can do it with out losing the a/c..... but the guy wants like 500hp, and a n/a could do that and more with out the mess, plus add no2, and keep in mind, putting a turbo kit on a car, to only make 500-700hp is pointless, when an n/a or s/c motor,.... i.e. wipple..... with instant throttle responce would make more sense, and be funner stop light to stop light.

03 Terminator

correct me if im wrong but i think 500RWHP will be pretty hard to achieve on a LS1 without a power adder.

white/orange
    97 camaro

no not at all.....a ls1 can make that with a good head, cam, intake and exhaust package. Infact a lt1 can do that! Thats only 550-575hp at the crank!

New tune NA:
    451.43 RWHP 408.21 RWTQ

above is my friends ls1 cars rwhp numbers, with stock heads!!!! and has not yet been to the dyno with the new heads and a tune!

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by spankarooney View Post
    cool im glad your kit works for you.. but it could work better in the front and you can do it with out losing the a/c..... but the guy wants like 500hp, and a n/a could do that and more with out the mess, plus add no2, and keep in mind, putting a turbo kit on a car, to only make 500-700hp is pointless, when an n/a or s/c motor,.... i.e. wipple..... with instant throttle responce would make more sense, and be funner stop light to stop light.
    Think you got to remember that a turbo doesn't run out of air while a s/c peaks out and goes flat.....plus you have to worry about belt slippage.....in the old days sure there was turbo lag but with the way they have them these days it's almost nothing and they are more efficient. It all comes down to personal preference..

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Power06 View Post
    correct me if im wrong but i think 500RWHP will be pretty hard to achieve on a LS1 without a power adder.
    wrong

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

500rwhp N/A will not really be a daily driver - It would need all the mods Fast intake, Big cam, Good heads AFR, TRICKFLOW - You get the point and in the end be damn near just as expensive with less drivability...... just my .02

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NVEEOUS View Post
    500rwhp N/A will not really be a daily driver - It would need all the mods Fast intake, Big cam, Good heads AFR, TRICKFLOW - You get the point and in the end be damn near just as expensive with less drivability...... just my .02
    Mine is pushing over 800rwhp now and I can drive it every day.....that is of course if I want to put gas in it....lol....but the manners are very streetable. You could easily get the 500hp and not worry about the day to day drivability.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

holy old thread...

Thread Information