Silver
    2000 Z28

Forced Induction Advice

Hey guys I have a 2000 Z28 with all the bolt ons. I have a 3800 stall and was considering putting in a heads and cam setup. But ever since my friend got his car supercharged (his nissan) I really wanted to do it. But I have heard about the STS kit and the price and numbers look good. My friends works at a place that can hook me up with good prices so tell me what you guys think would work best. My goals of the car is to be a street car but go the track once in awhile. Eventually have at least about 550-600 rwhp. What do you think I should do?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

you'll need to strenghten the bottom end for the horsepower you want, you'll also need a new clutch set up and a new rear end, just the last two things will set you back 2 grand or so, another 3 grand for turbo kit, upwards of 2 grand to have all the shit put on, so its gonna be pricy, but idk if i'd go with the STS turbo kit for 600 rwhp, i think you'd be better with a SC

Silver
    2000 Z28

well i don't need a clutch bc I am an auto, hence 3800 stall bud.

Awaiting Activation
    you could still get heads/ cam and be at around 425+ rwhp. Then if you spray you will be right at your 550+rwhp. Or you could do a combo of both. They make cams that are specifically made for forced induction.

I would look into a procharger - lots of power there. Some people have problems with the STS because it is rear mounted. First you have to give up one of your exhaust tips to fit it back there. The some peoples cars suck up water in the rain. And what i have heard is the biggest issue is the oil lines that have to run to the turbo all the way in the back of the car. But i will agree the power for the relatively low $$ is attractive.

Like ss-zoso said forging your bottom end it is a must if you are looking for 550+ hp. And your rear end will be on borrowed time. But it might last for a little while since you are an auto.

Silver
    2000 Z28

thanks man but i dont want to spray. I am looking into the procharger 8 rib system. but i would have to dig deep for that system. But i would rather do it right the first time around then getting the 6 rib and then want more boost and later buy the 8 rib. What should i do guys just get the 8 rib system and hold off on the cam for now or get the sts system and cam. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Red
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

If you are seriously going to spend 6K on the 8rib system, you better find the extra few hundred laying around for the cam. Once you tear everything apart, you are going to wish you had the cam to slide on in their before putting the procharger stough together. Then you only have to get it tuned once, which is another few hundred dollars.

white
    00 WS6 Trans Am

Forging your bottom end isn't a must for 550 hp, but once you start going above that, it will be. A better fuel system is a must, obviously tuning is a must, etc, etc... I'm biased to turbos, but to be perfectly honest, your going to have to dig deep to get anything FI. The little things are what add up so quickly. Things like the fuel system, tuning or tuning software, install if your having someone do it for you. Stuff starts adding up quickly. People will harp on the STS because it's rearmounted, but it works fine for your power goals. The one exhaust tip problem was solved along time ago so thats not an issue... I've never heard of anyone screwing up the car from driving with an sts in the rain and it has a water guard for the filter now anyways. I owned the kit and it was fine, but I got rid of it for front mounted twins. I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but I've owned one, its fine.

I am a pro STS guy and I have heard of others having oiling problems but if you make sure that your lines are run correctly and that the toggle switch for the oil pump in the harness is set to the hi flow position you shouldn't have a problem.

Rain and water wise the only time I've had a problem with water in the charge pipes is after accidentally running through a good size puddle due to the wonderful roads in Florida. Thanks Florida DOT for inspecting the roads!!!

Thread Information