Awaiting Activation
    n/a

forced induction

OK so I have around 130,000 miles on my car. Now price is not a problem since what I am doing is throwing good money after bad.
    I am going to go to a shop that customizes ls1...I dont want to sound like a complete retard when I go down there. So if you guys could help please do.

Now here are my thoughts...

I want to turn my ls1 in to a forced induction motor. Now using the original internals and heads seem pointless if I put the car under WOT I will probably break something. I am not looking for 1,000 hp I am not a complete idiot. I am looking for around 550 or 600 hp. I know most turbo set up will put you around 505 with 8 psi.

1) Since the engine is going to be put under much more stress what should I consider using to make the engine durable?

2) I was thinking of using bigger heads to make the engine 6.2l. Now what would be a good piston that can handle forced induction with the larger head?

3) if I change the pistons and the heads would that beloved piston slap go away?

4) Now since it would be forced induction could I change my cam to a forced induction cam? If so what should I be looking at?

5) I know the tranny has limits what are these limits? should I change the rear end to a 12 bold?

6) since my car is an automatic will I run into problems with turbo placement?

7) Since my car is an automatic will I run into place of headers + turbo placement?

8) Since my car is an automatic will my car run in to rear end plance ment and driveshaft placement?

9) Should I go twin turbo or single turbo?

I get the notion that I am cramming to much into a limited space. I want your guy'es opinion!

If you have to flame do it but give me a sold answer.
    Last edited by Hot head; 04-01-2011 at 07:41 AM.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

well honestly if you want some great streetable power and wanna keep the ls1 block then i would consider getting the nternals forged then going with a progharger maybe stroked to a 383 or something along those lines. if your stuck on a turbo then i probably a 6.0 block or something like that, (ls2). get a good set of heads get them ported and polished and make sure everything is forged so you can handle a bit more psi. if you dont have subframe connectors you NEED them, get you a good stall converter, then get you a moser 12 bolt. Now as far as i know if you get turbo kits designed for the ls1's and headers and all you shouldnt have any fitment issues, maybe a few here and there but a good shop that has experience will probably not sweat it. hope that helps a bit, wait till some more people come in here that actually have FI. Good luck and keep us updated on it

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

The place I talked to wants me to go to a 404 short block. Where they give you pistons and most of the internals for 5,000 dollars.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

500+rwhp can easily be achieved with a stock LS1 block and stock internals on 8psi of boost with a Procharger. Plenty of people doing it without any issues and you maintain your daily drive-ability. Just need to keep IAT's down by using an intercooler and possibly meth.

A turbo will net more power, but is going to be a lot more money than a supercharger. If I was going to do a turbo, I would only do a front mount.

I never really looked too much into turbo info as I had always read/heard the notion that superchargers are for the street and turbo's are for the track...

Brute Speed sells a cam specific for FI. Have a look at what the specs of it are.

I would definitely upgrade your rear-end, transmission, drive shaft, LCA's and don't forget tires!! Street tires with that much power will be like driving around on a skating rink!
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    500+rwhp can easily be achieved with a stock LS1 block and stock internals on 8psi of boost with a Procharger. Plenty of people doing it without any issues and you maintain your daily drive-ability. Just need to keep IAT's down by using an intercooler and possibly meth.

A turbo will net more power, but is going to be a lot more money than a supercharger. If I was going to do a turbo, I would only do a front mount.

I never really looked too much into turbo info as I had always read/heard the notion that superchargers are for the street and turbo's are for the track...

Brute Speed sells a cam specific for FI. Have a look at what the specs of it are.

I would definitely upgrade your rear-end, transmission, drive shaft, LCA's and don't forget tires!! Street tires with that much power will be like driving around on a skating rink!
    A procharger seems the way to go. I wonder why they are tring to sell me the 404 short block instead of rebuilding my current ls1?!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Have a look at another thread...

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153468

1999 Chevy Camaro z28

Some guys are hitting 500 hp N/A on stock 346 block!!!

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

SHould I forge my block or get a 404 that is preforged?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't know anyone with a 404.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i think luos is a 402 or 404.

i always thought his was a 408, but im pretty sure i was wrong and its one of those two

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Curtis has a 402.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

He is also NA only.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

One of the guys in our club has a 402 in his 99 HOSS that put down 497 rwhp NA on a "conservative" tune - conservative as it's run on todays 91 octane gas.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

And to the OP: The heads have nothing to do with the size (CID or CL) of an engine. Also 6.2L heads (such as those used on an LS3 or L99) won't work on an LS1 as the bore size is too narrow for those size valves. They'll physically bolt up but the valves will run into the deck. They also have a different style intake runner.

Thread Information