Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

White
    98 Trans AM

F-body Turbo systems Real world?

I am looking to put a 408 or one of the new LSX "Warren Johnson" blocks into my T/A and want to do FI. Now, I keep hearing turbo is the way I should go but really do not have a good handle on who makes a good, reliable, scalable, system and hence my question. I am looking once all is said and done to be in the 750 to 800HP range. Would probably prefer a single large turbo over dual smaller ones but this is not etched in stone.

I have heard good stuff about Pro Turbo Systems, mixed reviews on STS and am not likely to use, but really not a lot much else out there regarding F-body turbo systems. Do you all have some real world input on systems out there that I should look into and / or stay away from? The car is not a DD but gets a small amount of street time. I do drag race though and that is the main thrust of this new setup. I do not care about noise or a smooth ride so long as it is strong and reliable. Thanks!!
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Well...ok....it's not a daily driver and you want to go with one of the LSX blocks.....so far you're on the right path.....once I trash this motor I'm going to build one for mine also......ok....you're wanting 750 to 800 hp so you could get that with a 88mm turbo....but since the LSX block is rated at 2500hp why not a 101mm......I've built an STS style system and I've build front mounted.....just personal preference will determine that....also if you want to keep your A/C.....the best way to go about this is to get your hands on a good fabricator and have him build you the system you want....or if you're mechanically inclined you can build one with no problems....you'll end up saving quite a bit of money and get more for the buck.....of course you'll have to upgrade the fuel system.....probably go with an aeromotive external pump (just my preference) bigger fuel injectors and when you start getting up in that kind of horsepower something to manage it (FAST XFI, Big Stuff 3) there will be people swear that the stock ECM is capable of handeling the motor but I have seen the difference in a car by switching to a aftermarket ECM....a huge difference.....

You're in Houston so I know there are some good fabricators around there.....start searching for some and then go to them and tell them exactly what you want done......they can make it happen......I built mine in the back just for something different.....I've had my growing pains but it's not a bad setup....but if you're going to take it to the track put it up front and be done with it......

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

www.airpowersystems.com

it will get you were you need to be without breakin the bank and you keep all of your accesories.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

hey you live in houston too! cool it would be nice to watch you run and or run with you. do you normally go to the track or just every now and then?
    Click for full size

White
    98 Trans AM

Thanks all for the input.

TNT, On the Air Power Systems though have you used this system? I have heard of them but not ever seen anyone who has actually used the system.

Hey 440, as far as racing I go a moderate amount and usually head to HRP to do the 1/4 mile test and tune on Friday nights. I have not been back to Lonestar since that was converted to a 1/4 mile and they still tend to do more 1/8 mile braket racing. Never run yet at Houston Motorsports Park. Tell ya what if you want to run sometime and / or just hang out when some of us head out to different events whether motorsports or just kicking back drop me a PM with your contact info.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by Transam388 View Post
    Thanks all for the input.

TNT, On the Air Power Systems though have you used this system? I have heard of them but not ever seen anyone who has actually used the system.

i have a system on the way. i have seen 2 in person...1 on a GTO and 1 on a C5 and was absolutely amazed at the quality of the parts. everything fits perfectly and actually looks like it came with it from the factory. the GTO (5.7) with no motor work at all layed down 545rwhp@6.5psi and the C5 with a cam put out 597rwhp@7psi (both m6 cars) with the kit. the Turbos arent the biggest...they will be rated to about 900rwhp but if your like me, im not lookin to make retarded HP on a street car so it will be plenty for my power goals (700-750rwhp). APS does have plans to offer upgraded bigger units down the line aswell.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I am looking to put a 408 or one of the new LSX "Warren Johnson" blocks into my T/A and want to do FI. Now, I keep hearing turbo is the way I should go but really do not have a good handle on who makes a good, reliable, scalable, system and hence my question. I am looking once all is said and done to be in the 750 to 800HP range. Would probably prefer a single large turbo over dual smaller ones but this is not etched in stone.

I have heard good stuff about Pro Turbo Systems, mixed reviews on STS and am not likely to use, but really not a lot much else out there regarding F-body turbo systems. Do you all have some real world input on systems out there that I should look into and / or stay away from? The car is not a DD but gets a small amount of street time. I do drag race though and that is the main thrust of this new setup. I do not care about noise or a smooth ride so long as it is strong and reliable. Thanks!!

You can make over 700rwhp on pump and meth with stock cubes and keep the $$ from that big-inch motor; you'll need it.... and that goes for most any of the systems available (except for the STS).

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    You can make over 700rwhp on pump and meth with stock cubes and keep the $$ from that big-inch motor; you'll need it.... and that goes for most any of the systems available (except for the STS).
    Plenty of STS cars out there pushing well over 700rwhp.......not a big fan of them but they can perform because they match the turbo up...

Its a 4 door vette bitch! JOHN_DEERE_LS6's Avatar

Black Raven/Ebony cowskin
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

how much was the kit for your fbody from them... i have sent them an email about price but kinda wanna no a ball park now for the same set up they used for the dyno sheets on there page.... it sounds like what im looking to get into, hopefully the price is fair... if the price is good im sayin bye bye to the crotch rocket i hardly ride anymore cause i love my car!!

eventually im going to get into a 04-05 cts-v... will i be able to carry any of the f-body kit over to that car??? or would it be better to just end up selling my t/a with that kit on it and getitna new one for the cts-v??

thanks in advance.... jordan

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by John_Deere_LS1 View Post
    how much was the kit for your fbody from them... i have sent them an email about price but kinda wanna no a ball park now for the same set up they used for the dyno sheets on there page.... it sounds like what im looking to get into, hopefully the price is fair... if the price is good im sayin bye bye to the crotch rocket i hardly ride anymore cause i love my car!!

eventually im going to get into a 04-05 cts-v... will i be able to carry any of the f-body kit over to that car??? or would it be better to just end up selling my t/a with that kit on it and getitna new one for the cts-v??

thanks in advance.... jordan
    im not sure if your askin me or someone else but if its me, the kit is coming in at $5495 with free shipping...but thats for the first 50 kits..after that it will go up to $5995

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Plenty of STS cars out there pushing well over 700rwhp.......not a big fan of them but they can perform because they match the turbo up...

No there aren't, and I'm talking about F-bodies since that is what the poster has... Their 'upgraded' turbo is a 67mm with a very restrictive A/R that will NEVER reach that level.

Link in ONE f-body with an STS kit that hasn't re-piped the whole thing AND replaced the turbo that makes 700rwhp.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    No there aren't, and I'm talking about F-bodies since that is what the poster has... Their 'upgraded' turbo is a 67mm with a very restrictive A/R that will NEVER reach that level.

Link in ONE f-body with an STS kit that hasn't re-piped the whole thing AND replaced the turbo that makes 700rwhp.
    You can get a 76mm turbo from them in fact they have a 88mm if you need one......and well.....I built my system off theirs.....it's right in the back.......and haven't even pushed the thing and made 720........just saying it's possible...and it's been done a few times........it's just kinda a new idea and people tend to shy away from what they dont know about.....you have to remember that they match their turbos to run in the back....basically the a/r.......the piping from the back to the front basically gives you the intercool effect along with methanol..........the only thing I dont like about the kit is pumping the oil from the back to the front..........I had to run mine to the oil pan......but I will say that if I hadn't set out to prove that I could make this setup work I'd have put the turbo up front........
    Last edited by cailey37; 07-22-2007 at 05:35 PM.

White
    98 Trans AM

TNT, I would love to hear your review of that APS once you have it installed. Again, I do appreciate the input on this!!

2005 Cadillac CTS-V

peter form aps emailed me fast!!! there sold out till oct 07'... i am on the waiting list.... its nice to see there not hiking the price like mega huge....

i dont no what do do now... turbo my t/a or get my cts-v i've wanted since they came out.... what do i do!!!

anyone wanna buy a 2002 gsxr 1000?? 4500$ obo!!

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

TNT, I would love to hear your review of that APS once you have it installed. Again, I do appreciate the input on this!!
    will do...there will be a write up done with pictures when im finished with the install. its gonna take awile however as im waiting on the kit to come which wont be till Aug 15-20th sometime.

check this link out for some pics of it on a GTO...and numbers etc.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746808

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746773
    Last edited by TNTramair; 07-23-2007 at 10:25 AM.

2005 Cadillac CTS-V

o thanks for the reply on price tnt... my question was 4 you i jsut dont ever do the quote thingy

thanks again

wanna install my kit when i get it????? youll be a pro by the time i get mine!!

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by John_Deere_LS1 View Post
    o thanks for the reply on price tnt... my question was 4 you i jsut dont ever do the quote thingy

thanks again

wanna install my kit when i get it????? youll be a pro by the time i get mine!!
    no problem! thats a no on the install part my friend...i wont have much time to do anything after i get my car running again...ill be too busy driving it.......its going on a year without my car. im in withdrawl mode right now....

White
    98 Trans AM

By chance has anyone run this kit?

http://www.ls1turbo.com.au/ttspecs.htm

There is a huge thread on another board daying that at 17Lb they got to 912HP. The thing does look really low to the ground though. Not really sure of the whole quality of the product but the one who was installing it had very favorable things to say. The price is right also at about 5K shipped!

TNT, on the STS with it being down low and at the back has there been any issue so far as far as driving and water splashing on the turbo and causing any wear or anything other things?

Again, I do wish to thank those who are giving the "Real world" views on the different systems.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

tnt i hope to have my aps kit in car fully built, tuned etc......before sept. 30th.

The sts is no as bad as everybody says, if you do it right the first time, i personally would not buy it. What are you looking to achieve in the 1/4 t/a388?
    Just like tnt i am going with the aps tt setup, that thing keeps all the original accs. and it has good clearance.

White
    98 Trans AM

Well as far as how quick in the quarter I was looking to be in the mid to low 9's. As far as an easier thing though I am trying to get to the 750 to 800HP range and still be able to drive it on the street if I really want.

The car is not a DD and even here in TX I would not mind if I have to take out the A/C. This is starting to become more of a drag car than ever used on the street but I still want that option available. Having a DD and this is just great. One breaks and you just use the other. Even if it is the DD that breaks I have the T/A to fall back on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information