Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2010 Black Camaro 2SS

ever tried using a supercharger from a grand prix?

just curious if anyone had ever used some form of oem supercharger, and modified it work on something other than what it was intended? like a grand prix or something?

rapter34
    im pretty sure it will work with the v6's but seems like a hell of a lot of work to get it to work on a LS1.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

it might move enough air for a lawnmower...

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Even if you got the blower for free it would take a lot of money to fabricate all the parts necessary for it to work on your motor. You might as well buy a tried and true kit designed for your car to save yourself the trouble.

You might as well try something that is more feasible:
    http://www.electricsupercharger.com/...0&vehicle=3047

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I saw pictures where a guy did a head and S/C swap from a GTP onto a V6 firebird. I'm trying to find it but aint having any luck. I'll post the link if I can find it.

yellow
    02 vette

It could work on another 6 but wouldn't move enough air for a V8. Small blowers, when overdriven enough to move more air, turn into heat pumps and won't make U any power.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

an electric supercharger?

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

1966 Corvette Coupe

Electric S/C's are crap...

-me

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    an electric supercharger?
    I was only joking

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    I saw pictures where a guy did a head and S/C swap from a GTP onto a V6 firebird. I'm trying to find it but aint having any luck. I'll post the link if I can find it.
    Interesting. The throttle body on the Grand Prix supercharger is on the opposite side of the pulley/snout, so on an F-body, the throttle body would be facing directly against the firewall. Its designed for a FWD application, where the TB would be on the passenger side of the engine, not a RWD application.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Interesting. The throttle body on the Grand Prix supercharger is on the opposite side of the pulley/snout, so on an F-body, the throttle body would be facing directly against the firewall. Its designed for a FWD application, where the TB would be on the passenger side of the engine, not a RWD application.
    Thank you, no else seems to know this. All you have to do is look at the damn thing and youll know it wont work.

Im sure it will bolt onto the block just fine, but I'm sure thats where it stops

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    It was backwards.......come on somebody else had to have seen the pics. It was an orange pre-98 firebird. and it had a custom license plate saying something along the lines of it being a blown v6.

From what I remember, the throttle body was facing backwards (so the pulley would be on the correct side) and the intake came around to the front and went down behind the headlight or something. Then it had a regular cone filter on the end. He also had the firewall clearanced right where the tb came off, but it was all unfinished/unpainted. The guy had a cover on the S/C similar to the ones in the GTPs that said the same 3800 Supercharged stuff.

red
    1999 Firehawk

The Grand Prix uses a MP62 supercharger, usually a 112 is what's used on a v8. To put it into perspective the MP62 is what Jackson Racing uses for the 1.8L Mazda Miata.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mike13 View Post
    The Grand Prix uses a MP62 supercharger, usually a 112 is what's used on a v8. To put it into perspective the MP62 is what Jackson Racing uses for the 1.8L Mazda Miata.
    Incorrect. The 3800 Series II Supercharged uses an Eaton M90. The Cobalt SS and Ion Redline use the Eaton M62, which is a much smaller unit and displaces less air.

red
    1999 Firehawk

Your right it's the 90. I had a 2000 Miata with a MP62 alot of fun to tinker with but I ended up going turbo. The intake of that supercharger would just roar even at idle. It sucks in a tremendous amount of air at idle with the bypass open so your not building boost just sucking and circulating air.

red
    2001 v6 camaro

It has been done on a pre-98 3.8 camaro for sure. their is some custom work that needs to be done (some modification to the firewall, coils relocated, etc.)

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by FreakV6 View Post
    It has been done on a pre-98 3.8 camaro for sure. their is some custom work that needs to be done (some modification to the firewall, coils relocated, etc.)
    You got pics?? I've for sure seen it on a v6 bird but nobody believes me. I can't find any pictures.

red
    2001 v6 camaro

The guys sceen name is Merlin (on fullthrottlev6.com). here is the list of problems known with the swap.

Theres been this big discussion in the v6 F-body community for a long time now about if its possible to swap the L67 (supercharged 3800 II) into a V6 camaro. many problems have arrised that have caused may people to doubt the ability for this to be done.

Problem 1. the throttle body. its know that the Eaton M90 that is used on the L61 is located on the opposite side of the pulley. the supercharger is limited by the fact that the superchargers TB will stick into the firewall. its because of this that the idea has been dropped. of course holden has a supercharged rear wheel drive car and they have a supercharger that wraps around and faces forward. These superchargers, hovever are very rare and are expensive. Extremely hard to get in the States.

Problem 2. Coolant neck. the coolant neck on the l67 points (in a FWD car) towards the driver side corner of the bumper. if the engine was to be dropped into the car it would not be able to fit because it would be pushed aginst the firewall.

Problem 3. Fuel rail. the fuel rail on the l67 has the fuel and return nipples for the lines pointed towards the fire wall. if it were placed in a rwd config, the fuel nipples and lines would face the passenger side. the fuel lines on a camar are coming out of the driver side.

Problem 4. Will it fit? many have speculated if the actuall blower could fit under the cowl. its hard to say. many have measured the M90's height and compared it to the upper intake of the l36 and said that it wont. some have measured the height of the m90 and its lower intake and compared it to the block to cowl measurement and said it would. some speculate that the blower snout sticks out too far to fit under the hood of a 93-97 camaro without modificaton. some say that it will fit under a 98+. its speculated that if the pulley diamater is reduced that it will clear, and some say that running a smaller pulley could cause more damage from increased boost. noone has actuall tried it so there cant be any real proof.

Problem 5. AC and PS locations. the l36 out of a camaro has a different setup than its supercharged counterpart. on a camaro the ac is mounted on the pass side and the ps is mounted on driver side. the l67 and most other fwd 3800 cars have the ps mounted on the firewall side and the ac towards the bumper side.

Thread from when he first installed it
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=30054

For sale thread
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=45539

i believe he is actually parting it out now.

black
    1999 T/A

As for the T/B facing the firewall, the Thunderbird super coupe has the same blower(Eaton m90) and is rear wheel drive. Those cars have an elbow that goes from the outlet of the s/c to the intercooler piping so i think you could do something like that if you really wanted to but the blower is too small for that car and it's a 3.8L.

Silver
    1998 TA Vert

Quote Originally Posted by nuck View Post
    It could work on another 6 but wouldn't move enough air for a V8. Small blowers, when overdriven enough to move more air, turn into heat pumps and won't make U any power.
    Correct...it's like guys talking boost. Boost means NOTHING. It's airflow that counts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information