White
    1998 WS6

ebay turbo kit hellooooo. why you so cheap?

98-02 CAMARO FIREBIRD TRANS AM LS1 FULL RACE TURBO KIT | eBay

soooootempted like what can go wrong other than breaking my rear into tiny pieces

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

You get what you pay for. cracked manifolds, bearing failure, poor quality materials, to name a few common problems. there's a reason you dont hear of many people running those kits

Black
    Trans am

i would get it but replace the turbo, BOV, & wastegate

pewter
    1999 corvette hardtop

and alot of cutting in the engine bay

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Don't waste your money. Go with a quality kit and turbo so you do not have major trouble down the road. " You get what you pay for "
    Anyone out there who has tried this kit please let the members know how it worked out.

this is what i bought not even a year ago... the jdm stuff is crap..
    bov didnt work so blew ic pipes off
    the wastegate leaked internally soo badly it never boosted enough to open...
    the turbo is soo small you cant rev past 4k... guages and fuel pump are trash... oil lines are trash... hot side and colt side piping are decent... best if you go with a custom downpipe

and in addition you need to relocate the alt to top... redo custom or bend p.s. lines including an external cooler...
    wrap hot side and a turbo blanket is a must... and to top it all off the original valve springs valve float under boost

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Okay I've heard just about enough here.

Does anyone here own the kit?

Does anyone here have experiance with the kits?

First off many people run them without trouble.

Second the bad mouthers generally talk about a friends, friends, uncles cousin had a bad one.

The kits come with explicit instructions for a professional install, so it's no surprise DIY'ers are popping these in their driveways.

With any machine proper installation and a break in period is required.

I have the full T4/T3 TT kit and have had the turbos torn down and inspected.

There were no indications the wet bearing setup or any of the other internals were defective.

Yep they're cheap, and yep so are many of the factory turbo's used on stock vehicles going over 100k..

If they pop you can simply toss the effer out and replace it.

Now I can't speak to the manifolds as there's no company on earth that makes turbo manifolds for my engine so anybody's guess there..

But could we please keep this to people whom have dirrect experiance with forced induction and JDM/Mirage power turbines?

I can take a $15000.00 turbo an explode it in my driveway just like a cheap one..

99.999% of the time problems are going to go to the installer, installation, and or the tune.

That goes for ANY FI setup, I don't care whether it's a $1000.00 kit or one that costs much much more.

Anyone without FI experiance that thinks they're going to take a $10,000 Garrett and install it in their driveway and not have problems is crazy.

Most of the problems you'll see with the JDM are going to be: oil delivery, cool down times, over boosting, and on top of them all general POOR INSTALLATION.
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-23-2011 at 07:16 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Again... The turbo from this spefific kit is too small with only a 50 trim... Would not let the engine spin past 4500... And there was oil leaking into my intercooler... Went with another ebay turbo t67 that i got used and is now spining to 6k with no issues

And also no instructions were included at all... Only paper i got was an item list...

And reason for custom downpipe is because fighting these pipes all routing on the side of the steering shaft is a huge pita... And then it still hits the shaft on turns. And also the pipes i had had the pipes that go into 2 then back to 1 to goto cat had to be welded cause clamps wouldnt line up.. and gave me under an inch of ground clearance
    Last edited by stockenstien; 12-23-2011 at 07:45 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by stockenstien View Post
    Again... The turbo from this spefific kit is too small with only a 50 trim... Would not let the engine spin past 4500... And there was oil leaking into my intercooler... Went with another ebay turbo t67 that i got used and is now spining to 6k with no issues

And also no instructions were included at all... Only paper i got was an item list
    Sounds good. My apollogies if you took that as dirrected towards you.

But as far as instructions go that's why they state having a pro install the kits.

That's why it's important to get with a professional before any work starts.

This can help avoid later issues.
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-23-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Id say the best way to go is get the godspeed hotside and universal 3in ebay coldside... Ebay turbo.. good name brand wastegate and bov.. custom lines

Regardless after a lot of work it sure is fun as hell

White
    2008 Hummer H3

As a side note I went with a triple boost controller setup, one onboard MAP, and a secondary on board custom controller, with a remote stand alone eletronic controller, since my project is experimental.

Also using the Mega Squirt-II stand alone with remote touch screen engine monitor, covering everything from AFR's, to boost pressure, with in car USB ECM access ports.
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-23-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Megasquirt is awesome with what it can do... Fun to put together too... But for any oe genIII setup it would be kinda silly considering all you need is a 2 or 3 bar map that plugs right in and a custom o.s. for the pcm

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by stockenstien View Post
    Megasquirt is awesome with what it can do... Fun to put together too... But for any oe genIII setup it would be kinda silly considering all you need is a 2 or 3 bar map that plugs right in and a custom o.s. for the pcm
    I agree.

I'll be running in MAF'less speed density with the mega squirt-II since the LQ1 has nearly no after market, and my engine is a virgin GEN-I without cam sensors.

My build is the first of it's kind using TT's thus far.

The Mega Squirt-III has been released also with even more capabilities, which has also crossed my mind for the second LQ1 I'm also building.

I'm still up in the air on whether to FI that build too or not..

Yellow
    2006 Z06 LSX 427 TT Corve

That is cheap, so what are you going to do?

Thread Information