Silver
    2000 Z28

Building Engine for more BOOST

Hey guys I was wondering I have read alot of threads and am confused. I am a college student therefore, on a cheap budget. But if I want to build up my stock ls1 motor to make more power for my setup what should I do? I have a 2000 z28 with bolt ons, d1-sc, 60 lbs inj, cam, etc. But at a local shop they said the stock ls1 motor is only good to about 650 rwhp, is that true? He said I should start looking into getting a built engine. BUt what is wrong with the stock ls1 and throwing some forged rods, pistons and rings? would that be able to sustain my goal of over 700rwhp? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Ahhh the age old debate.....how much power will the stock block take.....well...it's like this.....there are people out there that are pushing close to 800-900hp on the stock block.....now they've updated the internals but they are pushing the block that far......you could throw forged rods, pistons in and get 700rwhp.....with forced induction or nitros of course.....but what you will do is take away from the reliability of the motor.....simply put.....dont expect the thing to last you 100K miles.....just not going to happen......the wear and tear of a motor pushed to the edge takes its toll.......the amount of horsepower is only limited to your budget......hang on to it until you get out of college then play with it.....because if you want 700rwhp then you'll have other issues to deal with....drivetrain updates......something always becomes the weak link....

If I remember correctly....I believe GM's stance on the block is 500-600hp......of course they will not come out and say it will handle more......liability and such....

Silver
    2000 Z28

thanks alot man I appreciate your information. but i just started to do all this work on my car (supercharger, cam, etc) and my odometer is at 81,000 mi. so what do you think it will last till?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStunna View Post
    thanks alot man I appreciate your information. but i just started to do all this work on my car (supercharger, cam, etc) and my odometer is at 81,000 mi. so what do you think it will last till?
    Hard to say......I put a small turbo on mine when it had 130K miles on it......tuned it perfectly but it just didn't last long....that's why I have a new drivetrain.......

Silver
    2000 Z28

what does the drivetrain fully include? Is it the springs, pushrods? sorry I am a bit of a newb with this kind of stuff. If so I replaced those when I did the new cam.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Well....drivetrain is your transmission, rear......those things......once you start adding the power to the motor you start stressing out other parts of the car.......you either upgrade those or you end up breaking them......when you start throwing the power to a motor you just cant expect things to last 200k miles.......it's the price we pay for having fun.....

Thread Information