Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Aps build underway presently..

I got my kit last year but didn't want to throw it on a stock engine.I ordered up a 408 in spring but had some problems that were beyond anyones control so finally go my new shortblock about a month or so ago.
    Started on the build a few weeks ago and things are going along not bad.
    I have a bunch of pics that will post next day or so.

Main things that I did so far was to get my 346 out of the car. I went out the bottom with just a cherry picker in my garage, some metal car ramps, some safety jackstands and a pair of wheel dollies.

That actually went pretty well. It was nice to take the engine with tranny out of the car so much easier to work on .
    Then I stripped down the 346 to take some parts off it.

I went with an iron block 408 .I was planning on around 1000 engine hp possibly with small shots of nitrous on top.I have a zex wet kit now but might go to direct port kit. Have fast 90 so its easy to do the direct port thing.

Engine specs and car mods are
    Callies crank
    Callies compstar rods
    Wiseco custom order 9.5 to 1 pistons
    Arp main and head studs, arp rod bolts.
    Hellfire rings,ls7 head gaskets,ls7 lifters
    Upgraded wiseco piston pins
    AFR 225 heads large chamber
    Lingenfelter gt7 cam ,yella terra 1.8 rockers, manley moly pushrods.
    slp oil pump and double roller chain
    fast 90 intake NW 90 tb.
    60 pound mototrons.
    Hp tuners
    asp underdrive balancer
    t56 currently with tex twin disc most likely going to 4l80e with 3400 yank stall next season.
    dana 60 planned rear end.
    Nasty tank and pump and reg planned to finish fuel system.
    e85 or alc injection planned
    street pro cutout,b and b triflo and hooker ceramic ypipe
    kvr rotors and pads,hotchkis lower control arms, panhard,sway bars.might have to ditch front sway or figure something out they don't work too well with the aps kit.
    kyb agx shocks,slp eibach springs.

New 408 is in final stages of assembly should be ready in another few days.
    Planning on assembling turbos and downpipes then simply but it back in car with trans by dropping car down on it same way as got it out.
    Still need to do bumper removal and intercooler mounting and modding under the bumper.

Hoping to be done in a few more weeks. Working on car pretty much daily.

I post a fair bit on ls1tech where I am My99TAWS6.
    Last edited by 99TAWS6; 10-20-2008 at 06:00 AM.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Still up so heres' some pics..

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2..._0059Small.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2..._0061Small.jpg

pics of the 346 pull out the bottom that my young friend. you won't see me in many pics.I am 50 year old short balding grey haired half Italian guy ,240 pounds and don't like my picture taken!

the 346 getting torn down and my tex twin:

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

The 408..pretty wiseco pistons..

The afr 225 large chambers..

My yella terra 1.8s.

The twins..

Ok the real twins..

The downpipes and wastegates assembled. Tial 38 gates.

Thats about it for pics for now.
    Last edited by 99TAWS6; 10-20-2008 at 06:02 AM.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I'm jealous...good luck with the build.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Should be a sick setup! Keep us posted.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Todays update..
    Buddy helped me out ,he is master mechanic ,drives a low 9 second big block chevy vega race car and works in engine rebuilding shop in town as well.

We are making great progress with the two of us working on it. We have the 408 pretty much complete. Only water pump and intake to put on tommorrow and that takes like half an hour with the engine right in front of you. I bolted on alt to see how it goes and the 408 iron block is missing two bolt holes. One is not that and can't ever be there and one can be drilled and tapped I guess. It actually holds pretty solid with two out of four,gm usually goes for overkill! LOL Just like throw away half the coil pack bolts!
    The air compressor bracket also fits fine on the 408. the 408 is missing a ground bolt hole on passenger side but just ground to motor mount bolt I think no big deal there either.
    So engine is basically read to put on kmember. Just have to hand the turbos on there and have as you saw assembled them pretty much. Might paint the manifolds with 1200 degree for now. Was going to send them out for ceramic 2000 degree coating but the shop is over 10 days backed up and can't /won't wait any longer. Do that next winter maybe.
    And they don't the ceramic in my city have to ship it 500 miles on bus.

We will work on prepping the new k member tommorrow after hopefully getting all the stuff off the stock one. Hopefully those bolts come out nice.
    I would not say we are days away from being done but maybe a week away is realistic,two tops. I would say am 50% done on engine and turbo install now.

Might even find more help near the end as few more buddies maybe come lend a hand.
    Lots of guys in my local club are very anxious to see what my 408 twin turbo can do. We have only one current turboed car in our club thats fourth gen. Its an sts y2k SS.Stock engine. It goes pretty good at 5psi. And we have a really quick 11.23 at 126mph third gen the guy pretty much built from ebay stuff. You can build a good setup off ebay if you buy the right stuff. He has master power turbo.

Anyway likely pics tommorrow as there shoudl be decent progress to show.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Todays update. 408 is finished well minor stuff bolt on 60pound injectors tommorrow.
    Remove engine from stand shortly. Getting new kmember ready. Then drop engine onto it. Bolt on clutch and tranny and rest of turbo assembly and put it in the car.
    The yella terra rockers..

Drivers side turbo.

408 pretty much complete waiting for install

Old kmember getting stuff taken off it.

New kmember waiting for the stuff off the old kmember..

Be working on car again tommorrow.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

lookin good...im following it on tech also.
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Ok good morning of work..

60 pound injectors and fuel rail are in.Stock rail temporarily.
    New k member is ready for the engine to go on it. Also since had it out put on my new stainless earls front brake lines at same time.
    Also think will install my slp line lock as have to bleed the front brakes anyway now.

We test fit the turbo oil and water lines and one water line is being modified as the 408 block has coolant feed in different place from the 346. No big deal.Get that done at like aeroquip place . Also drilling out third hole for alternator feel better with three bolts instead of just two. Just have to drill and tap it the boss is already there.

Buddy painted up the exhaust manifolds with 1200 degree for now.They look really good and if they don't hold up just do them in ceramic next season or whatever.

Tommorrows plans are to put the engine on the kmember and put the clutch and tranny on. After that its reinstall engine in car time. Maybe tommorrow maybe friday.Would think Friday latest.

But still be a few days after that to finish it up. Have to rehook stuff in the car which should go really quick but have to still do that whole front end intercooler install and put in all those intercooler and inlet pipes. Could be pretty tight in there for clearance.

But seeing the end of the tunnel here guys!
    So would say am now about 60% to 70% done.

Go out and take some pics of the kmember installed and the twin turbos on the engine. DAMN I AM GETTING REALLY EXCITED NOW!

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

subscribed

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Ok for some reason they seem to be snobs on hptuner board. I need someone to crunch me off the correct numbers for my 60 injectors which are really 63 pounders at 43.5 on racetronix site and am running 58psi stock ls1 pressure for now until do the whole fuel system in spring when car comes back out.
    But for now I need those tables. Someone gave me them for 60s but as said actually have 63 at 43.5.I cannot get that spreadsheet to work at all.I can view it but not use it.I think don't have the full excell program and not that good with this computer stuff.

So could one of you crunch those numbers for me so I can get my car up and running as it will be soon now. I would say within a week. Of course don't want to start it with injectors not set. Also would think should set it for about 10.5 to 1 target on pump 94 10/% gasohol. I have wideband and full scanning in car and with the laptop. I have tuned my car NA with hptuners but only for stock injectors. That spreadsheet is over on the fuel section .Someone gave me some numbers for 60 at 43.5 but they are actually 63 at 43.5 .want to be exact here.

Also what is good max timing again on 94 pump no alc injection system yet. ? 10 to 12 good safe range maybe ?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Are they Siemens/DEKA/motrons?

these---> http://www.lsxtune.com/shop/product_...roducts_id/448

If so, at our stock rail pressure with no manifold reference, your ifr should look like this:

72.42234 72.85638 73.29041 73.72445 74.15849 74.65453 75.08857 75.52261 75.95665 76.39069 76.76272 77.19676 77.63079 78.06483 78.49887 78.87090 79.30494

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Yes those..well think those..racetronix site says something about 63 at 43.5 are they maybe a bit underrated or something?
    Will it make much difference if they really flow 63 instead of 60?Would the tables change much.

I planned on going bigger next season to the biggest like 83 version of those or possibly just jump to low impedance. Depends if can get these 60s or the 83s to idle nice..my car is a street car not a race car..

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Only thing better than one turbo hanging off your built 408 is two turbos hanging off it!

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

sweet fuken ness bro, good job!! im pissing myself as I read through it! can wait for a vid.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 99TAWS6 View Post
    Yes those..well think those..racetronix site says something about 63 at 43.5 are they maybe a bit underrated or something?
    Will it make much difference if they really flow 63 instead of 60?Would the tables change much.

I planned on going bigger next season to the biggest like 83 version of those or possibly just jump to low impedance. Depends if can get these 60s or the 83s to idle nice..my car is a street car not a race car..
    No need to get hung up in details; if yours look like the ones that I linked, and you have the stock regulator, the IFR I posted is correct for your application.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Sweet, looks awesome, can't wait to see the final product

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

The monster is waiting to go into its new home today!

Just some minor stuff and then drop car on it.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Ok up early and worked on car and then buddy came by and we have been pretty busy got quite a bit done. I removed all the remaining front end today and then we trimmed cut and modded various parts. The main bumper support stays but had to be cut pretty good. Also trimmed foglight brackets and hood front brackets and stuff. So with that done we will shortly intall that beautiful big honking intercooler in there.
    Once its done then need engine in the car so can hook up all the inlet piping and intercooler piping.
    A bit of messing around making things look nice with top rad type support cover and air box that helps to channel cold air into the intercooler.

Good news is since did all this front end stuff which had to be done anyway that just means the car will be finished pretty much all at once rather than mucking on the motor and then doing the front end /intercooler stuff afterwards.

Would say we are about 70% done and with engine in would be 80 % done.
    Getting there.getting there..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information