Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

What scope do you have in your AR?

Hello guys. So I'm ready to add an optic to my AR. I have debating between a red dot with back up sights, a scope with QD scope rings and back up sights, or a scope with permanent rings and offset iron sights.

I'm more inclined to do the scope with offset back up sights. I'm thinking nikon 3x9 p223 scope and the new magpul offset pro sights.

I'm trying to stay under $400 for the set up. What other scope option you members have? Anyone recommend the Nikon scopes?

red
    95 Z28

Go big or go home

trijicon acog
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 03-08-2015 at 11:46 AM.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have a main scope, then I use 22 rings, a 22 base, and mount a red dot on top of the main scope. The best of both worlds. You will have to modify the base to accept the rings upside down, but it is worth the extra hour of effort.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I have a main scope, then I use 22 rings, a 22 base, and mount a red dot on top of the main scope. The best of both worlds. You will have to modify the base to accept the rings upside down, but it is worth the extra hour of effort.
    yeah i saw that setup but i don't want to add a red dot. I want scope and iron sights.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Go big or go home

trijicon acog
    not happening lol
    1998 TA 130k A4, LS6 intake, TunedByFrost, Airlid, AIR and EGR delete, Borla exhaust, front Eibach lowering springs, LS6 valley cover, UMI TQ arm, UMI LCA's, UMI panhard bar, Poly engine mounts, BMR relocation brackets, Blistein HD shocks and struts, Oil catch can, Autotrix window fix.

Now I have an 2001 F150 5.4L

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

well after carefully consideration and research I decided to get red dot and co-witness it with my flip up sights. I think the scope setup will add too much weight plus I don't shoot more than 75yrds at the moment. I only go indoor range and maybe shoot the AR once a month. I also want it to be used as HD for my wife. she loves to shoot the AR.

I decided to get the Aimpoint PRO from amazon for $409 after a discount. My other setup was going to be $380 so not too far of budget. I initially want to get vortex strikerfire 2 but I want to get a good optic that can be reliable. The Aimpoint PRO comes with 10 year warranty for personal use and the battery life is pretty impressive. My other option was Eotech 512 but I just don't like the reticule.

I think we will like and enjoy this dot. Like they say you get what you pay for. We will try it and we don't like it we can always return it. I think this will finish my AR since i don't competitive shooting or go to the range that much. I was thinking about a better trigger but I will hold off on that for the future.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I like my eotech. I can hit a target out to 300 yards no problem. Plus I like the way the holo swings as your head moves side to side. But the aimpoint works as well.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I like my eotech. I can hit a target out to 300 yards no problem. Plus I like the way the holo swings as your head moves side to side. But the aimpoint works as well.
    I hope the added weight is not an issue. I'm still kind of trying to justify the $400 expense for a rifle that sits in the safe most of the time. I'm perfectly fine with iron sights if it has to be. Yeah is fun to have and it SHTF is a plus to have. Is not my 1st choice for HD as I think we most likely go deaf if we shoot it in a hallway or a small room at home. If it comes to that vs been dead there is no question that I will use it. The money for the red dot i put it together from selling extra parts and a K&N cold air filter from my F150. So it was close to a trade.

Arctic White, red/gray

Sounds like you want it to be justified lol. Iron sights work but in a quick close to medium range situation its hard to beat a red dot or holo. F that aligning rear and front sight noise. Also why I like my laser on my xdm.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I hope the added weight is not an issue. I'm still kind of trying to justify the $400 expense for a rifle that sits in the safe most of the time. I'm perfectly fine with iron sights if it has to be. Yeah is fun to have and it SHTF is a plus to have. Is not my 1st choice for HD as I think we most likely go deaf if we shoot it in a hallway or a small room at home. If it comes to that vs been dead there is no question that I will use it. The money for the red dot i put it together from selling extra parts and a K&N cold air filter from my F150. So it was close to a trade.
    Honestly when the you'll never notice the weight difference. I'm amazed I still have great hearing after some of the firefights I was in. Having 4 M4's going off while inside a hard shell Hummer is one hell of an echo chamber.

Nothing wrong with iron sights, in fact I train my kids on using them only at first. Best learn how to shoot without aids then needing to learn how when it matters and the aids are broke.

Love red dots makes for quick aim.

Arctic White, red/gray

I have been in blinds with multiple rifle from 308 to 30-30, 30-06, 300 win mag, .44magnum, 12 gauge etc going off. Sometimes multiple times and never had anymore damage than just a light ring for a few minutes. Once the adrenaline starts flowing it doesn't bother you.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have been in blinds with multiple rifle from 308 to 30-30, 30-06, 300 win mag, .44magnum, 12 gauge etc going off. Sometimes multiple times and never had anymore damage than just a light ring for a few minutes. Once the adrenaline starts flowing it doesn't bother you.
    That is the truth IMO. If I fire my rifle on the range, or any target work, my ears will ring with out protection. But, I can empty the same rifle on the same day at an animal, and my ears don't ring at all. Wild how the lil bit of adrenaline does that. I can't testify to how a full on firefight would affect this, but in my experience, it rings true. Pun intended.

Arctic White, red/gray

Yea, I can't testify to a firefight either but there has been a lot of research done on them. Studies show that the body will actually lessen some senses such as hearing while boosting others in situations like an indoor firefight. The only firefight I was ever a part of was one sided as myself and the people in the apartment had no firearms on us. The people outside shooting out the windows did.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Nice to hear some feedback about your hearing experiences. I remember last year there was an article in a fiream magazine that was talking about how hearing could get affected by discharging a firearm inside a small room or hallway. Their recommendation was to get electronic earmuff and put them on. That way you can still hear. It does makes sense but I might not have the time to do that if SHTF quick and is kinda of hard to find earmuffs if it is dark. So I pass on that.

Arctic White, red/gray

If I hear a lot of noise coming from downstairs I am not grabbing anything but my firearm. No time for that earmuff BS.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

So the Aimpoint PRO is here! This red dot is really sweet. Best optics I seen in a red dot so far(all others were cheapos before lol, nothing wrong with that). It is a 2 MOA and the red dot is very sharp and small. I can see making precise shots with it. I still haven't zero it in but I might do it tomorrow or next week. The construction is very sturdy, lens caps are very nice and the mount is really good with the exception of the big knob. It is a big knob and it can get on the way if you are used to slap the carrier release button. I just sold my cold air intake from my truck since I don't use it for $200 so I really invested $200 on the dot. The dot is not heavy at all.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 03-13-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Here is my AR when I just bought it and had just the barebones and a truglo red dot with QD mount. It was a real nice dot for the money.

My AR so far after 2 years

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

If I hear a lot of noise coming from downstairs I am not grabbing anything but my firearm. No time for that earmuff BS.
    Agreed!

Arctic White, red/gray

Looks nice. Have you weighed the gun? Just curious as to the weight.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Looks nice. Have you weighed the gun? Just curious as to the weight.
    8 lbs without mag. 9 lbs with mag. I got them from my scale while i hold the rifle. I getting heavy. I was looking to replace the quad rail with a lighter one but not sure if it will drop weight. The current one is from S&W.

I really wanted to use the magpul poly handguard covers but I can't with a floating rail system and no permanent front sight.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Also, anyone using a sling? I want to get one but I'm sure if I should use the QD point for it or the para clips. I kinda like the para clips because I think is more secure. I will need to change the rear plate to get the ring.

I want to be able to carry my rifle on my back so im trying to figure out this whole 2 point. 3 point etc

Thread Information