Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

My next build 6.8SPC

So I finally figured out what my next AR build going to be.

Going to build a 6.8SPC with a 20" rifle (for distance). Been reading a lot on this. Uses all of the AR15 lower stuff, just need to use a 6.8 BCG, upper, barrel, muzzle brake and magazine. All other AR15 stuff like rails, stock, lower parts are the same. Been pricing and parts are very comparable to AR15. I found a complete upper, 20" barrel, muzzle, gas tube, and with rails for $299. BCG is another $90.

What is the 6.8 SPC?

The 6.8 SPC, also known as the 6.8mm Remington SPC, is an intermediate rifle round designed to outperform the 5.56.

This is especially true when it came to close quarters use, the 5.56 was under-performing in the close range firefights that were common in the urban combat in Iraq.

It was also designed to function in the AR-15 family of rifles with the end goal being a minor loss of magazine capacity and minimal increase in recoil.

There are some reports that the bullet was used overseas, but details on who used it, and how exactly it was successful are scant. I chased internet rumors and could find vague mentions of special forces use.

Some advantages for AR owners is the fact the 6.8 SPC will work with a lot of common AR parts. This includes lowers, triggers, buffers, stocks, handguards, etc.
    The biggest swap will be the upper, bolt, and magazines. 6.8 SPC mags are quite standard, and most large manufacturers make 6.8 SPC uppers.

Ballistic Performance

That being said the round is ballistically superior to the 5.56 regarding energy relative to bullet weight. The 6.8 SPC delivers 44% more power than the 5.56 on average. It’s also a better performer from short barrels.

The 223, which the 5.56 is based off, is designed for 20-inch barrels. 20-inch barrels aren’t exactly popular options for close quarter fighting. Once you start chopping barrel length down, you start killing ballistic performance.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/6-8-spc-complete-guide/

For now I just have the lower, but that's the most important part to begin with.

As I get more together I'll update with a parts list.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 01-11-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Built.....gotta wait for some magazines to take to the range.

Navy Blue Metallic

After my day at the range with it's first time I have to say Hell Yeah!!!

Get one, build one.

With a shitty scope I was able to hit 400 yard targets that where 14"x16" steel plates with authority.

The recoil is not much higher then a 5.56mm and a hell of a lot less then my 30.06. Hell I believe it's much less then a 243 as well.

Good news is if you already have an AR 5.56 to have a 6.8 all that is required is a new upper with a 6.8 barrel and muzzle break, a bcg and magazine for 6.8.

All the hand guards, gas tube and other AR accessories fit and work with the 6.8.

I bought my upper/barrel/muzzle break with rails and gas tube for $299 from
    https://www.ar15part.com/20-6-8-SPC-...su1x11exrl.htm

Thread Information