Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

It's Hunting season

So excited, I get to go hunting in East Tx for the 1st time in 10 yrs. I finally got on my Dad's hunting lease. Some of the original members have decided to stop hunting cause of age and one has passed last year. Not bad fee ($350). I can't find any lease hunts in AL here for under $1000, hell most places in TX too. It's one of those you gotta know the land owners or have your own property to get in and not pay. Unlike PA and most of the North there is very, very little state lands in the south that you can hunt on.

So in July I got me a Savage Arms Axis XP 30-06 Springfield Bolt-Action Rifle that comes with a 3 - 9 x 40 Weaver scope.

I've been spending some time on the range to get the scope sighted in for 200 yrds. The scope it came with isn't too bad, does the job. For Christmas I'll be looking at better ones for later.

I chose the 30-06 because I'll be Boar hunting as well.

Today my dad bagged a 190lb this morning.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok gents, place your bets. Who gets the first deer of the season -- Scott or Dawn?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Ok gents, place your bets. Who gets the first deer of the season -- Scott or Dawn?
    C.) one of your cars.

Navy Blue Metallic

It's Hunting season

I'll take C too...
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Awwww. Knock on wood, none of "my cars" have had a deer encounter since around 1984. I know what brakes are for and I do not hesitate to use them.

So when is your trip, Scott?

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

It's Hunting season

so glad I'm lucky enough to have family with enough farm ground to hunt. it's not without it's drama and issues, but nothing like the hassle of finding a spot on public land or paying for a location.

Navy Blue Metallic

I'll be go there from Nov 2nd to the 11th. Season starts morning on the 4th.

My dad bagged a 190lb boar last weekend. He said he's seen 4 bucks, 6 does. Watch they magically disappear come the 4th.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 10-23-2017 at 06:00 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Nice Scott. I was out last night in the rain. Normally by now I would have a deer down already. But since I decided to redo the entire exterior of my house(siding, all new trim, fascia wood, soffit, gutters, lights, etc.) this summer/fall I have been slacking on prep and early season hunting.

I do love that WI has millions of acres of national and state hunting land. It's great. Plus I have permission to hunt on a few private properties. Myself and my buddy Jesse have pretty much free reign on all of the properties during archery season. But when gun comes around we always have competition with the land owners family members.

I love savage rifles. It's what I use mainly.. 300 win mag. I paid more for my scope than I did my rifle. Always funny to see guys who hunt with 2-5,000 dollar rifles. I have shot many deer with my 300 dollar bolt action.

Navy Blue Metallic

What scope you use?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

we're a few weeks into bow season here....it's just been so damn hot I just got in my stand for the first time last weekend. Been taking the kids squirrel hunting...we've got a few. Over the weekend I did pretty good. Only spent about 8 hours on stand hunting the morning and evenings and saw 7. Could've shot a small doe but let her walk because momma was behind her and I was holding out for the bigger one. She milled around eating in some thick stuff that I didn't think I would be able to get an arrow through. It got dark and I never got a shot at her. That spot is pretty hot this year. I had 10 deer on camera there during shooting hours. I'm laying out of there until rut so hopefully those doe stay in there and the big boys come calling in 2 weeks. I'm going to hunt the shit out of that spot in 2 weeks when I'm down there for a week. I've been eyeballing this spot for 3 years now. I know this is a good spot....I've just had very limited success seeing much worth shooting in there. It has everything going for it for what a big buck needs. I have seen big deer sign in there and 2 seasons ago had one up there roaring. Just have to have the stars align and get one by my stand. I'm kinda regretting not going up early this year and cutting some shooting lanes. I wasn't exactly sure where I was going to hunt it though and didn't want to cut lanes and end up in a different spot which is what I did.....I'm hunting about 100 yards from where I originally was. The trails and sign just say this is a better spot. Next year I'll have lanes cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Navy Blue Metallic

That's what my dad was doing when he saw the deer. Last yr the place was just over run with hogs so much so that he believes they had force the deer to move to other food sources. Last yr IIRC he bagged about 20 hogs over the summer prior to Sep. Since the beginning of OCT he's been cutting lanes and some of the fields down for better visibility. There are new areas that opened up last season for us to hunt but this will be really the first time. Last yr the logging company finished up late summer early fall so he thinks that because of all that activity the deer were not wanting to be around there too much. Now that it's been quite since then his trail camera's are capturing lots them moving around at night more so at dawn and dusk.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    What scope you use?
    It's a Nikon prostaff 4.5-18 zoom 40mm with the mil dot reticle. It was actually about the same price as the gun, just over 300 dollars. I took the bushnell scope that came with my savage and put it on my .17hmr and it works just fine. I bought it because I wanted a scope that I could learn to calculate range using the mil dots and so I could shoot from different distances more easily using the mil dots.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    we're a few weeks into bow season here....it's just been so damn hot I just got in my stand for the first time last weekend. Been taking the kids squirrel hunting...we've got a few. Over the weekend I did pretty good. Only spent about 8 hours on stand hunting the morning and evenings and saw 7. Could've shot a small doe but let her walk because momma was behind her and I was holding out for the bigger one. She milled around eating in some thick stuff that I didn't think I would be able to get an arrow through. It got dark and I never got a shot at her. That spot is pretty hot this year. I had 10 deer on camera there during shooting hours. I'm laying out of there until rut so hopefully those doe stay in there and the big boys come calling in 2 weeks. I'm going to hunt the shit out of that spot in 2 weeks when I'm down there for a week. I've been eyeballing this spot for 3 years now. I know this is a good spot....I've just had very limited success seeing much worth shooting in there. It has everything going for it for what a big buck needs. I have seen big deer sign in there and 2 seasons ago had one up there roaring. Just have to have the stars align and get one by my stand. I'm kinda regretting not going up early this year and cutting some shooting lanes. I wasn't exactly sure where I was going to hunt it though and didn't want to cut lanes and end up in a different spot which is what I did.....I'm hunting about 100 yards from where I originally was. The trails and sign just say this is a better spot. Next year I'll have lanes cut.
    Yes it has been hot. That's what I told my buddy on Friday who was trying to convince me to come sit in his ground blind after work. It was 70 at sunset. He shot a nice 8 pointer on Friday and still has another buck tag for the southern farmland.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

they seem to be moving even in the warmer weather....at least that's been my observations. Like you would expect though.....early and late. I did see one Sunday about 10am and it was 60+. Not sure exactly the temp but probably closer to 70 than 60. It was about that same temp and overcast Saturday when I saw all those moving.....that was about 6pm. My camera back there had almost all the pictures before 9am and after 6pm.

I still haven't shot my new muzzle loader yet. It's one of those out of sight out of mind things. I do want to get out this week at some point and run a few loads through it to get the scope dialed in. I think I'm going to zero it at 60 yards. That's about the furthest shot I would ever take due to the brush and that still puts me more than good out to 100 which is a shot I would very rarely take. I did shoot one at 92 yards ( buddy had his range finder there) several years ago with my old muzzy but it's just not very often I get those shots. I'd be a little concerned if I zeroed it at 100 yards what that would do for those 20-30 yard deer. I get way more of those shots than I do 50+. Last year during gun I was using my son's gun that I had an inch high at 50. That doe popped over the ridge at 20. I aimed a little low and still hit her pretty high.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Hoping to get my bow out and spend some quality time with my brother in the next couple weeks....a few hundred yards away from each other in total silence

Navy Blue Metallic

I tried bow hunting when I was in my teens, then in my 20's I was on Active Duty so I wasn't able to hunt as much. On top of that I've had 6 dislocations of my right shoulder that made it almost impossible to pull a bow without wondering if my shoulder would pop. I know some states allow you to hunt with crossbow if you have a Doctors note. I might want to check into that...

Arctic White, red/gray

WI passed crossbow hunting for all 3 or 4 years ago. And now they have these things called "airbows". Which look like a bullpup style rifle. They are air powered and shoot full length arrows at 450fps. Someone told me there are legal in WI to hunt with but I haven't called the DNR to confirm since I have no plans to buy one. It's getting weird out there during archery lol.

Navy Blue Metallic

I checked and Crossbow is legal in AL and TX. It looks like almost all states do so now.

TX even removed the Doctors note required in 2009.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 10-25-2017 at 06:50 AM.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Crossbows are now fully legal in OK as well, throughout normal bow season I believe. I still prefer my compound, but if the draw ever becomes too much for my shoulder I wouldn't be opposed to switching over.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Arctic White, red/gray

I'm torn all the time. 2 years ago I broke my arm during hunting season and bought a crossbow. Now I switch between my bow and crossbow. I feel more accomplished when I shoot a deer with my bow. But the crossbow is nice, especially when hunting from a ground blind. There are definite advantages to using a crossbow. The biggest being the fact that it stays drawn once you draw it.... until you fire it. The other of course is that it is easier to shoot on than it is a bow. Less to think about, you don't have to worry about you contact points everytime you're about to fire like you do a bow. Scopes are also easier to use than pretty much any bow sight.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information