Silver
    98 Z28

Best experience with buying?

does anyone have any good sources of where to buy? im sure not as likely anyone would know where at in socal, so anywhere online? the only weapon ive used is my M16, M4, 25MM, 7.62 coax and 5.56 SAW. so pretty much the only thing i can realistically own is an AR or something alike. even a pistol or shotgun. itll be my home security system. then ill get something just for daddy to play with.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

If you're really in SoCal, your selection is limited.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I don't know the California laws, but most states aren't too hard to get shotguns in. It's hard to make a home defense suggestion without some more background. (E.g., upstairs, downstairs, kids, pets, brick walls, etc, etc.) Most of those variables can be accommodated for most easily by a shot gun though. They are easy to use and offer a wide variety of ammunition to fit multiple situations. They come in various sizes and easily go from home defense to hunting to targets to whatever else there is. Just my opinion though.

Silver
    98 Z28

i heard that a H&K usp compact would be perfect for the home and for the wifey to shoot comfortably. thanks guys. and yeah, CA gun laws are freakin gay!

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by SiLver_PhOeNiX View Post
    i heard that a H&K usp compact would be perfect....
    I have a USP9 C, and I love it. I truely believe the Compact HK's are more accurate than the fullsize.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

i heard that a H&K usp compact would be perfect for the home and for the wifey to shoot comfortably. thanks guys. and yeah, CA gun laws are freakin gay!
    What's going to make a H&K compact any better than S&W, Springfield, Taurus or any other manufacture? H&K builds a great weapon, but how does a manufacture make a weapon that is great for home use unless it one of those crazy things you see on the military channel that you can bend and see around corners? Just my opinion here, but modern firearms and way ahead of some of the old stigmas about pistols. They are being designed as "working" weapons and with today's society of equal opportunity, you see women in the law enforcement arena and military arenas. Most modern weapons are being designed to keep up with that and the fact that police officers on average shoot a weapon once a year to qualify and it stays in a holster, rarely removed, rarely cleaned, etc until it gets put into use. So tolerances and reliability are at an amazing level because manufactures are marketing towards their main users. With all that said...if you want a pistol for home defense, look at you budget and go to a store that has a range. Rent some stuff and hold some. Take your wife and let her join in if you want. Find the one that if comfortable to you guys and make a decision off of that.

I personally have a lot of weapons and shoot a ton of ammo. I use a shot gun in my house with small game loads. On a man...it'll get him the hell out of my hose. I face shot across the 50 or so feet of your average house is deadly...at least blinding. It also doesn't have velocity that may kill my kids through walls if that situation ever became a reality. If I were to grab a pistol, one without a safety if what I'd want for the house. Most likely you'll need it a night and I don't want to be fumbling with trying to remember which way is safe and which way if fire.

I gotta get to work, but if anyone wants more opinions about this I'll be glad to keep typing.
    Last edited by IH8EVRY1; 07-23-2010 at 04:45 AM.

Silver
    98 Z28

great intel. going thru walls definitely make an impact on my decision. do hollows go thru walls easily?

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    I have a USP9 C, and I love it. I truely believe the Compact HK's are more accurate than the fullsize.
    I sold mine and bought a P7M8 on which I had found a good deal. I liked the USP - I LOVE the P7.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

great intel. going thru walls definitely make an impact on my decision. do hollows go thru walls easily?
    It depends on the type. There are hollow points that are basically frangible. I recommend going to a gun store to get ammo like that because the salesmen are more knowledgeable for the most part that your department store sporting goods counter folks.

Most places they are labeled as home defense rounds. If they don't have them labeled that way, ask a sales man for home defense or frangible type hollow points. They are designed to fragment when they strike something. That is 2 fold because if they hit something pink and squishy like a body, they fragment and rarely go through. That means that all of the energy in the round dissipates into the target cause massive shock to organs. On the other side, when they hit a wall they do the same thing, loosing velocity and energy in the wall. They can still go through if all they hit is sheet rock but they aren't supposed to be a massive slug with lots of energy and velocity anymore.

If you get a normal jacketed HP, they tend to penetrate more. The still do wicked things in a target but the round tends to carry through more often.

Rounds to me make up more difference in a home defense weapon than most any variable. The weapon, as long as its reliable, can be pretty much any weapon. The thing that makes it a good one is a knowledgeable user and familiarity with the weapon.

Rounds matter but remember for safety and peace of mind, always know what's behind your target.

Silver
    98 Z28

i will definitely do my research before purchasing. im very confident with pretty much any weapon i may or may not purchase. thats the way we're trained. most importantly, like i said, i want my wife to be confident as well. the way i see it, im deadly with any weapon. my wife is not..
    Last edited by SiLver_PhOeNiX; 07-23-2010 at 08:09 PM.

2011 Prius

Best experience with buying? Buying an "assualt" rifle and walking out in 5 mins,

Thread Information