Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR15 Owners

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

AR15 Owners

Hi guys. I finally got my AR15 after a long time. It's been 15 yrs since I shot and handle one of these in the military. I got a S&W MP15T from a private seller. The rifle has 50 rds thru it and is almost brand new. It had the original box, papers and upon inspection I can see the rifle was barely used. I got this baby for $1000. I shot 20 rds of Speer Lawman 556, 20 rds of Fiochi 223 and 20 rds of PMC 223. No issues at all. I added an extra Truglo red dot I have in the safe. So far is been a blast.

Overall I think I got a good deal at a right price. I'm was not looking to overpay for an AR.

I'm fairly new to upgrades and accessories for the AR. I'm not trying to go crazy with upgrades as the rifle will be used for home defense and occasional target shooting. I'm also making a list of tools I will need to service and maintain my AR.

So to my AR brother and sisters what do you have on your AR? What do you recommend? Post your pics of your AR if you can. Thanks.

Nice rifle, contrats. I have an LWRC 6.8 SPC

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Mine is a mutt... DPMS, Colt and Armalite. Chambered for 5.56 and .223. Hands down the best rifle I own. I have 2 AK's that don't even stack up. I even shoot garbage ammo, and have not once had a misfire.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I have a BPM(Barnes Precision Machines) AR chambered in .223 wylde. BPM is a smaller company our of N.C. and one of only a handful AR manufactures in the country that actually machines all of their parts in house. .223 wylde is a mix between a .223 rem and 5.56 nato chamber. The idea behind it is it can handle the 5.56 rounds while being more accurate as the .223rems with match grade seem to be because of the chamber length. It has a thicker stainless barrel, full rails. Comes from BPM with magpul stock, grip and flip ups. Was going to buy a eotech with a mag lense but screws in the truck tires have put that on hold. The only accessories I have on it is a foregrip because the heavy barrel and full rails get heavy and the rails get hot and a sling.

Below is a link to a review which I read shortly after my purchase.

Barnes Precision Machine BPM-15 AR Review

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Mine is a mutt as well. It a Spikes Tactical lower and a Wilson Combat upper. 20" bull barrel. Chambered for .223 Added a bi-pod, and threw a Nikon 18-32 x 50 scope on it. Running hand loads, it's very easy to tack a hole at 300 or 400 yards.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Nice setups guys. Are there any upgrades to help reduce recoil besides adding a heavy barrel? I read there are spring buffers that reduce the recoil. Any good sites to read about upgrades?

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Nice setups guys. Are there any upgrades to help reduce recoil besides adding a heavy barrel? I read there are spring buffers that reduce the recoil. Any good sites to read about upgrades?
    Having a grip I find helps with muzzle rise. Also different muzzle brakes can help. .223 and 5.56 really do not kick very much to begin with though. The next upgrade I am doing is a trigger group. Everyone I talk to who shoots ARs a lot say it is the best mod they have ever done.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yeah I meant muzzle rise.

blue
    1999 TransAm

OP got a nice rifle!

looks like you've already got the rail fore-end covered, ...on the topic of mods, ...i always recommend ditching the stock grip and going w/ an aftermarket one (i like the MIAD from magpul), ...also perhaps a trigger swap, ...ALG makes a rather inexpensive trigger group that is better than stock...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    OP got a nice rifle!

looks like you've already got the rail fore-end covered, ...on the topic of mods, ...i always recommend ditching the stock grip and going w/ an aftermarket one (i like the MIAD from magpul), ...also perhaps a trigger swap, ...ALG makes a rather inexpensive trigger group that is better than stock...
    Thanks Wiley I will look into those. I already decided to change the grip to a magpul one.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I like a front grip and a nice scope. A flash supressor is a nice touch also.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I don't want to go through the Photoshop thing, but I mount the main scope right on the rail , then mount a red dot on top of the main scope. That gives me distance with the main scope, then up close and personal or running with the red dot. I found out that Cabelas never raised their prices during this last craze,and I picked up a DPMS with the 16" barrel for 750. The recoil buffer doo hickey only helps the "clack" when the bolt recoils. It seems to help on recoil, but it only tightens the gun up a little. You should ALWAYS get your AR in 5.56 chamber, then it will shoot the cheap loads as well.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Oh, and I got a BSA BDC scope for $78 off ebay. (Bullet drop compensating) scope. You sight it in at 100 dead on, then you have hash marks on the elevation turrent for different ranges out to 400 yards. Very handy. It comes with three different turrents to match different loads and velocitys. Not as clear as a high end scope, but it does well for the price. Be sure to lock tight everything down, as there is alot of movement in the black rifles.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Oh, and I got a BSA BDC scope for $78 off ebay. (Bullet drop compensating) scope. You sight it in at 100 dead on, then you have hash marks on the elevation turrent for different ranges out to 400 yards. Very handy. It comes with three different turrents to match different loads and velocitys. Not as clear as a high end scope, but it does well for the price. Be sure to lock tight everything down, as there is alot of movement in the black rifles.
    People think BSA scopes aren't that great because they're cheaper. That hasn't been my experience. I have a Savage 10LE sniper with bull barrel and I've shot out to 1000 yards with that gun with a BSA contender scope.

Oh and my AR (M4) is just a all stock Colt LE6920. At some point it will get a foregrip and an acog if I decide to spend the money.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I don't want to go through the Photoshop thing, but I mount the main scope right on the rail , then mount a red dot on top of the main scope. That gives me distance with the main scope, then up close and personal or running with the red dot. I found out that Cabelas never raised their prices during this last craze,and I picked up a DPMS with the 16" barrel for 750. The recoil buffer doo hickey only helps the "clack" when the bolt recoils. It seems to help on recoil, but it only tightens the gun up a little. You should ALWAYS get your AR in 5.56 chamber, then it will shoot the cheap loads as well.
    Whenever I shoot a gun with a red dot mount on top of a scope I like the options but I find that as distances change the red dot starts to get off target. When a red dot is 3-5 inches above the barrel the angle is more extreme. You can sight it in for a certain distance but once you begin to get closer or further away it begins to get off target more so than it would if it were closer to the barrel. That is why I prefer a red dot or holo with a magnifier that flips off to the side. Another thing guys in 3 gun are using are angled rails.

Like this

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...386154-tfb.jpg
    Last edited by Zinergy; 06-13-2013 at 05:21 AM.

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Nice rifle. The hardest part of owning an AR is knowing when to call it done. There are so many things you can add and do with the platform that it's tempting to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to try and make one rifle do everything. Pick a purpose for that rifle, and make it as good as possible at it. Spend the extra money on practice ammo/shooting lessons.

First, for recoil....you aren't going to get much lighter than 5.56/.223 through an AR. There are buffers out there that can reduce recoil, but be careful, they can also induce malfunctions. I'd leave it stock and just practice.

Secondly, weight. That old quad rail system looks cool and is convenient for the gear queers out there, but it's antiquated, unnecessary, and most of all, heavy. I personally like MagPul's MOE series handguard. Not expensive, and shaves a ton of weight off while still giving you the option to add a rail where you need it for a fore grip, surefire, etc.

Thirdly, trigger. A good match trigger makes all the difference. Best and most noticeable mod you'll ever make to just about any gun. Definitely worth it.

Other than that, you're pretty set. You may want to add a surefire for home defense use if you know how to properly use one (i.e. it isnt a flashlight...it comes on when you raise the weapon and off when you lower it), and a foregrip for maneuverability indoors. The optic you have is fine out to at least 100 yards. (some red dots are good out to 300 depending on the user's shooting ability).

As for me, my (low priority...most of my gun money goes to handgun ammo. I'm not afraid to admit, I suck with pistols and am trying to change that) build is going the SPR route. 20 inch free floated match barrel, 2 stage match trigger, 5.58 (match grade 77 grain 5.56 is still effective and accurate at 6-700 yards and is much cheaper/lighter than equivalent .308 ammo...hence not going AR-10 route), harris bipods, still undecided on optic and stock.

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Whenever I shoot a gun with a red dot mount on top of a scope I like the options but I find that as distances change the red dot starts to get off target. When a red dot is 3-5 inches above the barrel the angle is more extreme. You can sight it in for a certain distance but once you begin to get closer or further away it begins to get off target more so than it would if it were closer to the barrel. That is why I prefer a red dot or holo with a magnifier that flips off to the side. Another thing guys in 3 gun are using are angled rails.

Like this

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...386154-tfb.jpg
    Agreed, although I've never used a red dot mounted that high on anything that wasn't full-auto and belt fed that I just walked on target anyway. Too weird of a position for me to hold my head in to see down one of those on an AR.

That angled rail is interesting though...never seen it before. I could see how it would be much quicker transitioning from long - short range versus the side-flipping scopes.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

thanks for the advice SBK. I'm keeping the rifle simple as it is for now. i just added the magpul standard grip and i really like it. I have to agree about quad rails they are heavy. I might do the ALG trigger to smooth it out some. I'm not really looking into spending lots of money in the rifle. My next big investment will be a decent scope but when I join an outdoor range.

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    thanks for the advice SBK. I'm keeping the rifle simple as it is for now. i just added the magpul standard grip and i really like it. I have to agree about quad rails they are heavy. I might do the ALG trigger to smooth it out some. I'm not really looking into spending lots of money in the rifle. My next big investment will be a decent scope but when I join an outdoor range.
    No problem. Choose wisely when it comes to spending money on a scope. No sense in getting a high dollar tactical scope for a generic m4 that isn't accurate enough to take full advantage (most are only around 3 MOA stock). 500 yard shots at human sized targets are easily doable with iron sights on a cookie cutter out of the box m4 and an understanding of the basics of sight alignment/picture and breath/trigger control. I'd strongly recommend spending that money on ammo and range time until you're good enough to take full advantage of a nice optic.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have been wating on my backordered AR15 for four months. I hate NJ.

Thread Information