Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STS-V vs. CTS-V

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

STS-V vs. CTS-V

My dad has been looking at getting a new car and one that I showed him that he likes is the CTS-V. While I was looking stuff up for him, Icane across a for sale ad for an STS-V. What is the difference between the two? I thought the STS was lower than the CTS in the Cadillac lineup but the STS-V is more expensive than the CTS-V.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I don't really know, just googling abouta little... It seems that the new CTV-S is more powerful by 100 hp, but perhaps the STS-V is more luxury oriented. Not really sure, but I found this chart which shows lots of options on the STS-V but not the CTS-V:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/gi/sts-vs-cts-v.html

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

STS is higher up. It is a larger car.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    My dad has been looking at getting a new car and one that I showed him that he likes is the CTS-V. While I was looking stuff up for him, Icane across a for sale ad for an STS-V. What is the difference between the two? I thought the STS was lower than the CTS in the Cadillac lineup but the STS-V is more expensive than the CTS-V.
    This depends greatly on whether you are speaking of the 2003-07 CTS-V (V1) or 2009-11 CTS-V (V2).

The CTS-V1 was the smallest sedan in the V-series. Powered by the 400hp LS2 mated to a 6-speed manual (no auto option), it topped out around $55k fully loaded. While it did have a very nicely appointed interior, and navigation came standard, it did not offer alot of really high-end options like the competition.

The CTS-V2 will be, as of next year, the midsize sedan in the V-series. Powered by the 556hp LSA mated to a 6-speed auto or manual, it tops out around $65k fully loaded. The second generation CTS comes with a much nicer interior, though is still lacking in many expected high-end options.

The STS-V was the midsize sedan in the V-series. Powered by the 469hp LC3 mated to a six speed sequential gearbox, it topped out just over $80k fully loaded. It features a fully leather and suede trimmed interior, four-zone climate control, heated and cooled seats, full-color heads up display, auto-tinting heated mirrors, adaptive forward HID lighting, LED rear lighting, adaptive cruise control, lane departure control, magneheteorological damping, navigation and infotainment system with 8" touch display, 14-speaker 7.1 channel THX certified Bose sound system, voice recognition and bluetooth...and many more gadgets that I can't recall at this time.

The STS was, up to this point, the midsize car in Cadillac's lineup. The most impressive part about the STS was it's ability to compare well to the best sedans europe had to offer. With an interior designed and built by Bentley's Draxlmeier, and an options list that features some of the best technology available for it's time, the STS really showed what Cadillac has in store for us down the road.

The CTS-V2 is no longer intended to be the small car in the V lineup. Next year the Cadillac ATS will debut along with a V-variant that will take up the entry-level space for Cadillac's performance series. The ATS will be smaller than the first gen CTS, and the second gen CTS is significantly larger than the first gen CTS, making it relatively close to the STS in size. Thus the reason that the STS-V was discontinued following the 2009 model year. Going forward, Cadillac's lineup will be ATS (small sedan/coupe), CTS (midsize sedan/coupe), XTS (full-size sedan only), and in 2015, the ZTS will debut as Cadillac's flagship sedan, possibly introducing the first V12 offering in GM's history.

Does that help?

Sunset Orange Metallic-M6
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Both generation CTSs are the same length +/- less than an inch.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by tav8ws6 View Post
    Both generation CTSs are the same length +/- less than an inch.
    Actually the second gen CTS is damn near 2 inches larger in every exterior dimension than the first gen CTS. The new CTS is virtually the same size as the STS, except in length, where it is shorter by about 3 inches. The next generation CTS, coming in 2013, will be about 2 inches longer, bringing it to just about the exact same size as the STS.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Blakbird24 View Post
    This depends greatly on whether you are speaking of the 2003-07 CTS-V (V1) or 2009-11 CTS-V (V2).

The CTS-V1 was the smallest sedan in the V-series. Powered by the 400hp LS2 mated to a 6-speed manual (no auto option), it topped out around $55k fully loaded. While it did have a very nicely appointed interior, and navigation came standard, it did not offer alot of really high-end options like the competition.

The CTS-V2 will be, as of next year, the midsize sedan in the V-series. Powered by the 556hp LSA mated to a 6-speed auto or manual, it tops out around $65k fully loaded. The second generation CTS comes with a much nicer interior, though is still lacking in many expected high-end options.

The STS-V was the midsize sedan in the V-series. Powered by the 469hp LC3 mated to a six speed sequential gearbox, it topped out just over $80k fully loaded. It features a fully leather and suede trimmed interior, four-zone climate control, heated and cooled seats, full-color heads up display, auto-tinting heated mirrors, adaptive forward HID lighting, LED rear lighting, adaptive cruise control, lane departure control, magneheteorological damping, navigation and infotainment system with 8" touch display, 14-speaker 7.1 channel THX certified Bose sound system, voice recognition and bluetooth...and many more gadgets that I can't recall at this time.

The STS was, up to this point, the midsize car in Cadillac's lineup. The most impressive part about the STS was it's ability to compare well to the best sedans europe had to offer. With an interior designed and built by Bentley's Draxlmeier, and an options list that features some of the best technology available for it's time, the STS really showed what Cadillac has in store for us down the road.

The CTS-V2 is no longer intended to be the small car in the V lineup. Next year the Cadillac ATS will debut along with a V-variant that will take up the entry-level space for Cadillac's performance series. The ATS will be smaller than the first gen CTS, and the second gen CTS is significantly larger than the first gen CTS, making it relatively close to the STS in size. Thus the reason that the STS-V was discontinued following the 2009 model year. Going forward, Cadillac's lineup will be ATS (small sedan/coupe), CTS (midsize sedan/coupe), XTS (full-size sedan only), and in 2015, the ZTS will debut as Cadillac's flagship sedan, possibly introducing the first V12 offering in GM's history.

Does that help?
    good write up. something else to mention in the V1s the 04-05s came with the ls6 and the 06-07 came with ls2. also all v1s are manuals and the STS-Vs are autos

You said significantly, to me significant would be in the neighborhood of 12". I wanted to make that clear for the original poster in case he wanted the smaller car and saw "significant". 2" is nothing.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    good write up. something else to mention in the V1s the 04-05s came with the ls6 and the 06-07 came with ls2. also all v1s are manuals and the STS-Vs are autos
    as well as the sts-v having a 4.4L supercharged north star instead of an ls motor

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

You said significantly, to me significant would be in the neighborhood of 12". I wanted to make that clear for the original poster in case he wanted the smaller car and saw "significant". 2" is nothing.
    2" larger all around IS a "significantly" larger car. 12" would qualify as "insanely" larger (like a Maybach or something). I guess it's hard to see that though unless you drive both of them. My STS-V is only 4" longer, 2" wider, and 1" taller than my wife's (1st gen) CTS, yet it feels HUGE in comparison. My wife won't drive the STS-V because she says it's way too big. Generally speaking, the difference in size between a "compact" and a "full size" is less than 10" in length (that is in fact the difference in length between a Cobalt and Impala). But try comparing the driving experience. 10" is all that stands between "small and nimble" and "land-barge".

I did however forget to mention that weight is a huge factor also. Especially in luxury cars like these. There is almost a 500lb weight difference between the first and second gen CTS-Vs. The second gen CTS-V is very close in weight to my STS-V. Yet another reason why I say that the second gen CTS is very comparable in size to the STS.
    Last edited by Blakbird24; 03-26-2011 at 09:20 AM.

I daily drive a Suburban and at home have the Trans Am, even a Solstice among others. Car size doesnt phase me. 2" is still a microscopic change in my eyes. Weight is a whole 'nother story.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

I daily drive a Suburban and at home have the Trans Am, even a Solstice among others. Car size doesnt phase me. 2" is still a microscopic change in my eyes. Weight is a whole 'nother story.
    Well yeah, if you are used to a suburban, then sure. EVERYTHING is small in comparison.

I test drove a solstice when we were car shopping for my wife. I really like the car, but it is just TOO FRIKIN SMALL. Terribly uncomfortable for me.

Thats what makes it fun. You just cant recline the seat far back. I dont recline much anyway so its comfortable for me after I played with the seat for a few minutes.

Stealth Grey
    2005 CTS-V

Driven both. The STS-V is a bit more refined, well way more refined, than the CTS-V. A few ticks slower in all catagories but not by much.

Can't find fault w/ what has been written above.

STS has a MUCH more civil ride and MUCH nicer interior (but at a price)

Your dad will end up being way happier in an STS-V.

Now having said all this I'm the 56 yr-old granddad of 8 who almost bought an STS-V but got the CTS-V instead because it is more of a beast on the track of which I have been to several in OH including world famous Mid-Ohio.

One thing you learn VERY QUICKLY once you are out on a real race track is that for all your real world driving experience, you don't know DIDDLY SQUAT about real car control w/ cars like the V's, M's, RS's, and AMG's and all the HP that is under the hood.

Has anyone out there actually driven their V as GM's Performance Division designed it to be driven right out of the box.....on a race track?

Senior Member transamprincess98's Avatar
    CT6

If your dad isn't interested in performance he might as well not own a V series of any sort. The STS-V is not civil as was stated in an earilier post. Yes it has all the creature comforts you expect in a luxury car BUT it will break the tires loose any time you want. It is not a "cushy" luxury car even though it's a caddy. None of the Vs handle or drive like the old boats they made in the past. If he wants a luxury car with a set of balls then the V series is a great pick, but if he is expecting this to be his grocery getter and likes a "cushy" ride not the right choice.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by KQQL V View Post
    Driven both. The STS-V is a bit more refined, well way more refined, than the CTS-V. A few ticks slower in all catagories but not by much.
    Actually it's the reverse. In pure stock form, equal drivers, the STS-V is actually a few ticks faster than the CTS-V1. The average ET for the STS-V is 13.1 and the CTS-V1 is 13.3. Yes, I know, there are plenty of stock CTS-V's out there that have run high twelves. But at the same time there are several STS-V's that have run 12.7-12.8 consistently in complete stock form.

Now seeing as there really are no stock CTS-Vs out there thanks to the aftermarket options, and there really are no modded STS-Vs out there, again, thanks to the (lack of) aftermarket options, well none of this stock talk really matters. But it is important to note to a potential buyer who, in this case, will probably not mod their car anyway.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Actually it's the reverse. In pure stock form, equal drivers, the STS-V is actually a few ticks faster than the CTS-V1. The average ET for the STS-V is 13.1 and the CTS-V1 is 13.3. Yes, I know, there are plenty of stock CTS-V's out there that have run high twelves. But at the same time there are several STS-V's that have run 12.7-12.8 consistently in complete stock form.

Now seeing as there really are no stock CTS-Vs out there thanks to the aftermarket options, and there really are no modded STS-Vs out there, again, thanks to the (lack of) aftermarket options, well none of this stock talk really matters. But it is important to note to a potential buyer who, in this case, will probably not mod their car anyway.
    mine is almost completely stock!

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Apparently you've never met my father, lol.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    Apparently you've never met my father, lol.
    Well that's an important consideration to make then. There is very little available in the way of performance parts for the STS-V. Several individuals are currently making valiant efforts to create a reasonable upgrade path for the LC3 motor, but it's proving to be VERY expensive and VERY complicated. Right now, there is ONE established and proven intake solution priced at over $900. While it does perform pretty well (+40whp with a tune), the price really kills progress. The supercharger pulley can't be changed without major modification to the supercharger drive system, however there is ONE aftermarket crank pulley available that can increase boost. But again, with the thing priced at $1000, not much progress will take place. Steigmeier offers a custom modification program for the stock supercharger, and it's actually very reasonably priced for what you get, but it is brand new and still under development. We are finding that the LC3's stock charge cooling system is pretty much maxed out at stock pressure levels. This makes it really really complicated and expensive to try to make real power since you have to somehow increase the capacity and flow of the charge cooling system with almost NO established parts. Everything has to be custom.

So far, we have seen 510rwhp out of the LC3 with the Intake, custom modified supercharger, upgraded injectors/fuel pump, and upgraded charge cooler (pump, exchanger, reservoir). That's probably $10k in mods though. D3 Engineering also has a ground-up built LC3 that put down 595rwhp in their "Stage 3" demo car. That's a $25k motor however. To think about what you could do with that kind of money in a CTS-V makes it a no-brainer.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Well that's an important consideration to make then. There is very little available in the way of performance parts for the STS-V. Several individuals are currently making valiant efforts to create a reasonable upgrade path for the LC3 motor, but it's proving to be VERY expensive and VERY complicated. Right now, there is ONE established and proven intake solution priced at over $900. While it does perform pretty well (+40whp with a tune), the price really kills progress. The supercharger pulley can't be changed without major modification to the supercharger drive system, however there is ONE aftermarket crank pulley available that can increase boost. But again, with the thing priced at $1000, not much progress will take place. Steigmeier offers a custom modification program for the stock supercharger, and it's actually very reasonably priced for what you get, but it is brand new and still under development. We are finding that the LC3's stock charge cooling system is pretty much maxed out at stock pressure levels. This makes it really really complicated and expensive to try to make real power since you have to somehow increase the capacity and flow of the charge cooling system with almost NO established parts. Everything has to be custom.

So far, we have seen 510rwhp out of the LC3 with the Intake, custom modified supercharger, upgraded injectors/fuel pump, and upgraded charge cooler (pump, exchanger, reservoir). That's probably $10k in mods though. D3 Engineering also has a ground-up built LC3 that put down 595rwhp in their "Stage 3" demo car. That's a $25k motor however. To think about what you could do with that kind of money in a CTS-V makes it a no-brainer.
    Well the CTS-V sounds like a much better choice. Now it's just a matter of whether he'll buy one or not. He's got some idea that he wants a big dually diesel to haul around his T/A's with instead of just borrowing his friends F-350. So idk what's gonna happen, lol.

Thread Information