Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

DVDs: Legal Backups need to be identical to DVD?

I have a DVD. I bought it for ~$28.00. I am legally (eh) able to create a backup copy for personal use to store on my computer.

I watch the backup, and it shows me the movie.

For arguments sake, the backup derived from the DVD I bought no longer exists on my computer.

Let's now say I have a different copy of the movie on my computer. When I watch it, it shows me the same movie I bought on DVD. Regardless of the legality of how I initially obtained this copy of the movie (but it was NOT received from the DVD I bought), in a legal sense, is this copy able to be my legal backup?

If so, what is it limited to? Is it limited to the exact files that would be recovered from the same DVD I bought, just not my own DVD? Or is it open to any form of the movie (such as a in-theater recording, keeping in mind regardless of how it was obtained) since the DVD still shows that same movie?

Before anyone asks, I'm not in any trouble, legal or otherwise. I'm curious because I'm interested in moving movies to different devices, but some of the places I find my information at/discuss have zero-tolerance policies on anything that could be related to piracy, and wanted the opinion and/or knowledge of the members here.
    Last edited by 86 IROC-Z; 04-02-2008 at 07:05 AM. Reason: lolwut

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I have a DVD. I bought it for ~$28.00. I am legally (eh) able to create a backup copy for personal use to store on my computer.

I watch the backup, and it shows me the movie.

For arguments sake, the backup derived from the DVD I bought no longer exists on my computer.

Let's now say I have a different copy of the movie on my computer. When I watch it, it shows me the same movie I bought on DVD. Regardless of the legality of how I initially obtained this copy of the movie (but it was NOT received from the DVD I bought), in a legal sense, is this copy able to be my legal backup?

If so, what is it limited to? Is it limited to the exact files that would be recovered from the same DVD I bought, just not my own DVD? Or is it open to any form of the movie (such as a in-theater recording, keeping in mind regardless of how it was obtained) since the DVD still shows that same movie?

Before anyone asks, I'm not in any trouble, legal or otherwise. I'm curious because I'm interested in moving movies to different devices, but some of the places I find my information at/discuss have zero-tolerance policies on anything that could be related to piracy, and wanted the opinion and/or knowledge of the members here.
    you are allowed to make a backup of the movie you own (although the RIAA would rather you didn't i'm sure) and you are NOT allowed to download a copy from the net as this isn't your copy.... this backup can be either on your computer or on a DVD but i'm sure you can only have it in one place at a time. as long as you don't share your copies then have as many as you like.. nobody will know about it...

pie
    free

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    you are allowed to make a backup of the movie you own (although the RIAA would rather you didn't i'm sure) and you are NOT allowed to download a copy from the net as this isn't your copy.... this backup can be either on your computer or on a DVD but i'm sure you can only have it in one place at a time. as long as you don't share your copies then have as many as you like.. nobody will know about it...
    You mean MPAA? :P

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    Not sure where you are getting your information from, but had a legal class about this in college...

It is ILLEGAL to make ANY reproduction (in part or in whole) of any movie produced and sold. You may have bought the movie, but you did not buy the rights to the movie. Now before people jump on me for being a goody two shoes.. I have "backed up" movies before for my personal use (DVDs are expensive, I make a back up of them, store the real copy.. watch the back up till it gets scratched, or whatever, then make another one) ... but still does not make it legal.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

That's why I added the "eh" after the first "legally", from what information I've found there are a multitude of different thoughts on this, like "yes you can", "no you can't", "the courts haven't said anything about it", "the courts are undecided about it", etc etc, so for this question I just meant assuming I could.

Thread Information