Kamen Blue
    05 Segueway

Anyone do Laptop Repairs?

Like some of us here I do some builds and training on the side. I recently got asked about laptop repair. The usual culprit, a kid spilled some drink on Mom's laptop.

I was wondering if any of you do laptop repair, pro or amateur. Did you get into part-time as a hobby or get tech training somewhere?

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

I do started out as a hobby ended up a career. Who knew. Went to school for it to figure out what I didn't know.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

One of my companies did laptop repairs, along with other repair type stuff. We received a lot of portables with orange juice, coffee, water... And whatever other liquids you could think of....

The vast majority of those laptops, if the client had turned them on or if they were operating when the spill happened, were basically fried and over 2/3 the cost of replacement.

We basically had a policy where we would check out the basic stuff... Open them up, look for damage, dry them out, and see if someone was feeling lucky... But we did not waste a whole lot of time on them.

The usual fix was to provide a letter stating repairs were not cost effective and complete replacement was recommended which the client could submit to insurance via their homeowners policy.

The drives were usually OK and could be recovered by plugging them into a separate drive enclosure and peeling the data off.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

I've replaced a screen and a keyboard before... but that was when someone gave me a busted laptop for free. It was a pain in the ass though, PC repair/building/upgrading is a hell of alot easier.

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

i fix electronics all the time including laptops. Not too hard to do but you have to be carefull cause some of them are put together in a certain way meaning different size screws which could ruin your day if you mixed up some of the locations and put a longer screw where a shorter one goes and destroy a board. Laptops are like anything else you would take apart but more care is needed when doing so. How did i learn how to fix them, well when your personal laptop takes a dump and you have to send it in to get fixed--out of a compter for weeks---cost xxxx money for them to fix--- what the hell take it apart and see if you can fix it yourself which i did. Its slow as shit the first time you take it apart, a digital camera can be your best friend to take pics along the way on what screws came out of what hole, how you took it apart--what boards you took out first,second and so on so when you rebuild it you will know what boards should go in first and so on.

here is a link to some of the stuff i work on

http://www.webshots.com/search?query...e=chromeheader

Thread Information