Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun in the LS1

SOM

Thumbs up Fun in the LS1

Just a little bit of fun before she's goes into hibernation

2002 Camaro - bolt on - Corsa Exhaust, SLP lid, 3.73 gears in a Ford 8.8 rear end and an SS3600 stall

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Sounds good. It boogies too!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Yes, it does.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

The km speedo threw me off.

SOM

Thanks! and ya- km/h lol- that is 80mph for you guys!

Here is what it sounds like from outside the car with the Corsa...I'm pretty happy with the sound, although I wish it was a touch louder. The headers this winter will take care of that!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    The km speedo threw me off.
    At first it did to me as well. You are not alone..

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by Letzride View Post
    Thanks! and ya- km/h lol- that is 80mph for you guys!

Here is what it sounds like from outside the car with the Corsa...I'm pretty happy with the sound, although I wish it was a touch louder. The headers this winter will take care of that!

Be careful what you wish for. I have LT's and Loudmouth. It is what has been described as "obnoxiously loud" I personally love it that way, but most would hate it. Naamen, a member on here, said there is no way he thought that the stereo would drown out the exhaust, but little did he know what two layers of sound deadening material and a lot of stereo work would do... Or be needed... Seriously, it is loud. If I lived in a small town, I would not be able to own this car as it sits. It is so damned loud.

SOM

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. I have LT's and Loudmouth. It is what has been described as "obnoxiously loud" I personally love it that way, but most would hate it. Naamen, a member on here, said there is no way he thought that the stereo would drown out the exhaust, but little did he know what two layers of sound deadening material and a lot of stereo work would do... Or be needed... Seriously, it is loud. If I lived in a small town, I would not be able to own this car as it sits. It is so damned loud.
    My v6 I had was heads, cammed, headers and I had the exhaust dumped out the open cutout by the back tires...I loved it, she sounded down right nasty.

This was idle... when I ran my 13.4 pass, my buddies Iphone video still picked up the car screaming through the traps lol at the end of the 1/4. I remember when I was filming it on the dyno we only took it to 6000 rpm (cam was supposed to make power to 6600-6700) and I was literally half a second away from putting the camera down and walking out of the shop...and I had the industrial headphones on lol...THAT was loud...remember...it only becomes obnoxious if you don't like the sound

SOM

^^ I used to have to turn the car off in drive thru's lol...I remember an old guy yelling at me because he couldn't order is coffee once...but he cut me off, so sucks for him

Junior Member 2001SSCamaro#2516's Avatar

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

I have stock manifolds and a loudmouth on my LS1. I think it is the perfect amount of loudness. I can set off car alarms if I want or cruise by semi-quietly. And there is no bad drone noise
    when driving on the highway at cruising speed, but when you jump on it, it is loud.
    2001 SS M6 Black/Black
    All SLP Dealer options
    Loudmouth, Bilsteins and Auburn Dif.
    Hotchkis Strut Bracket
    21,000 miles new

SOM

Quote Originally Posted by 2001SSCamaro#2516 View Post
    I have stock manifolds and a loudmouth on my LS1. I think it is the perfect amount of loudness. I can set off car alarms if I want or cruise by semi-quietly. And there is no bad drone noise
    when driving on the highway at cruising speed, but when you jump on it, it is loud.
    My six would set off alarms on idle...if you goosed it in the underground parking lots you would set alarms off on 3 levels (car also had a stall so it just reved up very easily)...the look on peoples faces on the street when you exited and the entire garage was going off was awesome...

Junior Member 2001SSCamaro#2516's Avatar

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

That's hilarious....

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Letzride View Post
    My v6 I had was heads, cammed, headers and I had the exhaust dumped out the open cutout by the back tires...I loved it, she sounded down right nasty.

This was idle... when I ran my 13.4 pass, my buddies Iphone video still picked up the car screaming through the traps lol at the end of the 1/4. I remember when I was filming it on the dyno we only took it to 6000 rpm (cam was supposed to make power to 6600-6700) and I was literally half a second away from putting the camera down and walking out of the shop...and I had the industrial headphones on lol...THAT was loud...remember...it only becomes obnoxious if you don't like the sound

that is down right nasty for it to be a 3.8
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

SOM

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    that is down right nasty for it to be a 3.8
    Thanks- she should have run 12's...the 13.4 pass she was lean as hell through 3rd gear and maxing out the 36# injectors blah blah blah... peeved me off I didn't have the opportunity to put the numbers up.

I parted it out when I broke the lower A arm and ended up simaltaneously finding an LS1 with 140km (87,000 miles) for $3,600 which was beyond a steal of a deal for my current car. Ended up washing out the cost of the car with my part out, and still kept and transferred the Ford 8.8 rear end, Qa1 suspension, Sphon torque arm and all those applicable goodies to this car.

I miss the v6 like crazy, I learned how to make something out of nothing in that car...now I get to apply all of that knowledge to the LS1. The goal with this car is to run 11's N/A bolt on only and then propel myself into the 10's with just a cam.... we'll see how she goes

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I might have to look into a Corsa cat-back when I get around to headers... that thing sounds sweet!

SOM

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I might have to look into a Corsa cat-back when I get around to headers... that thing sounds sweet!
    Thanks! I'll take another video when I get the headers put on...probably won't have the video until spring time though! car just went into storage...
    1996 3.8L Camaro - 13.4@101mph - Fastest 3.8L N/A Camaro in Canada
    2002 SOM Z28 - Bolt ons only and looking for 11's and Canadian record
    1999 Jeep TJ - 4" lift on 32's

Synthetic oil comparison | Videos | Weight Reduction

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Man!! For a 3800 V6, that sounded bada$$!! All the room left over in the engine compartment you could have easily threw a turbo on it and really turned some good numbers. Kinda like the old 87 Buick Grand National's.

SOM

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    Man!! For a 3800 V6, that sounded bada$$!! All the room left over in the engine compartment you could have easily threw a turbo on it and really turned some good numbers. Kinda like the old 87 Buick Grand National's.
    I know, I know... actually at the time I had a buddy who had the Cartunning turbo kit (which makes 400rwhp on a stock motor) who was willing to sell the kit to me for $1500 since he was moving out of the country... I was mulling over buying it...

I actually had the Aussie holden intake manifold which I planned to cut and make into an ITB setup (and not do the turbo) which would have been wild

the problem with the v6 was a) someone keyed it front to back, and although I fixed it to about 95% and got rid of all but just a few marks, I was still upset about it. (You can see in the video that the back panels hadn't been repaired yet, but the front panel and doors I cleaned up really good) b) the frame was needing some attention with rust...not a biggie, but still money to be spent, c) my Pa racing lower A arm collapsed on me when I pulled into a driveway.

So I was sitting there saying...I got to spend 3-5k to get this thing where I want it to be condition wise... then out of the blue at the exact same time the SOM ls1 came up for wayyyy under market value (they still go for 8-9gs here easily) and I couldn't pass it up.

I still regret and miss that v6 dearly...I'll build another one some day. It was certainly more fun to drive than my ls1 currently, and turned wayyy more heads idling at the lights!

Something about being able to pull in a parking lot and have people go- "what the hell is in that thing??" and going "just a 6" and watching their response telling you you're full of it, pop the hood...popping the hood and watching their reaction...was enough to make your day anytime hahaha... with the LS1, people just expect it to be fast lol...that and it doesnt have that nice lope...yet

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Best sounding V6 I have ever heard.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Well the good thing about having the LS1 is there is a LOT of potential for WAY more H/P. After the said cam is installed, exhaust, and whatever other options are included in your future mods, you will def be turning the heads again. True it will be expected not to have the same reaction when the hood is popped open and the LS1 is in there, and not a V6, BUT if you pop open the hood and the LS1 has a friendly chrome 88mm turbo sitting next to it....THAT will raise the eyebrows!! LOL
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information