Metallic Blue
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Thinking of Spraying

How is it going everyone. I was thinking of getting a nitrous kit for my 2001 Camaro. I have been looking a lot on the net for a kit that would be safe and reliable. I know there is always a risk but i want to keep that minimal. I was looking at the zex kit and i like that it has that controller and also that it uses the TPS to activate at WOT. The downfall is that it does not have a nitrous plate for the throttle body. I'm pretty sure i will get one that has a plate but i would like the features of the zex kit with that nitous management unit and the TPS WOT activation. I also looked into nitro daves kit and it looks nice it has the plate but none of the fancy Nitrous management components like the Zex kit. What would you experienced nitrous guys recomend. If you guys have pics of your set up and want to share post up. Also your experience with your kits, I appreciate all the info, Gents/Gals.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I can only give you my own experience, your looking at good companies. Mine always had issues with failed nitrous solenoids. I just had a tune and colder plugs on my car and never had any issues as far as damaging my car or giving my vehicle any problems. I probably ran 150 shot(WET) of nitrous going through 20+ bottles. The tune is really the key, making sure you have the right plugs and A/F. Getting the safety stuff is a plus but to me the TUNE is key to running nitrous safely and a good foundation. This time im thinking of going DRY and sticking with 100 shot and having Frost tune my computer, im also ofcourse putting in some colder plugs.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

There is not a real "tune" for nitrous its all in the timing.

Zex kits is one of the kits that I prefer because of their managment unit is really bad ass. It takes away and add the right amount of fuel to keep things pretty safe, easy kit to bolt up, the only other thing you really need is a bottle warmer and a guage but I think the zex kits now come with a bottle guage which is fine.
    Colder plugs and retard the timing depending on shot and your good to go.

Metallic Blue

oh i see, I was under the impression it was a different tune, i knew it had to do with timing but wasn't sure to what extent. Yea i like what i have read about the zex, good thing you posted because i was about to pull the trigger on daves kit at nitrous express because it has the throttle body plate. I wonder if i can just buy that zex fuel manager without buying the whole thing?

Metallic Blue

oh, I forgot to add that i was scared of using it because i never have before and my buddy called me a pu&&y. Oh well, but really I was only thinking of spraying 100 or so.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Your car should be able to handle the 100 shot no problem. Retard the timing what 4* right?
    I am not really sure what is so special about the plate kits. I am using a wet kit and it works just fine. I see the TB plate kits but I am not sure if it is more effective then a nozzle going into the intake. To me is the same thing probably not much different but I could be wrong.

Metallic Blue

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Your car should be able to handle the 100 shot no problem. Retard the timing what 4* right?
    I am not really sure what is so special about the plate kits. I am using a wet kit and it works just fine. I see the TB plate kits but I am not sure if it is more effective then a nozzle going into the intake. To me is the same thing probably not much different but I could be wrong.
    Yeah your probly right, i just dont want to put a hole in the bellow which is probly not a big deal since i can gat another one. I found a kit from harris speedworks that has the plate and its cheaper about 500 bucks. I was thinking of getting that then buying the zex TPS switch, and maybe the Zex Nitrous management unit i'm just not too sure if the management unit can be used with a Harris gauge/bottle or if its zex specific.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Bottle and gauge's are universal there are not set for particular brands. But if you do buy the HSW no point on buying the zex unit because then you would be stuck with extra soliniods.
    HSW also has a microedge controller which allows you to run most of the extra safety features you could use for spraying. Either kits are great.

Metallic Blue

Well it's settled Harris had a nitrous controller so I ordered the kit and the controller. Can't wait now I have a line lock coming too. I'm going to start with 75 shot then move up I want to see what that's like

NBM
    2002 Camaro

You wont be disappointed with a HSW kit.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

HSW is still a great kit.
    I personally went with Zex.

Citrus(burn't) Orange
    2001 Camaro SS

i havent hooked it up yet but i just bought a DynoTune nitrous kit and its like half the price of everyone else. Ive done a little reasearch on them and so far i hear nothing but good things. but ill find out in about 2 days.
    i wanna think i paid a little over 300 for a complete kit and that includes shipping. but then again i bought a dry kit which is a little cheaper.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Dry kits by far are the easiest to set up. I'm currently running a TNT Kit (co. is nolonger in buisness) and like it alot. Looking in to one of Daves plate systems with the noids mounting right to the plate. Really would clean up my engine bay. All I can say is due your reserch and once it's all installed before you spray some someone look over your work. 2 pairs of eyes are better than one and if they are spraying they may know of somethings that usually get skipped on an install.
    GL

2002 Black WS6 A4.
    FI, H/C, LT headers, full exhaust, Fast 90/90. MWC Fab 9". Subframe connectors,
    Lower Control Arms, Panhard bar, Torque arm Strano Springs & Sway Bars.
    Koni Yellows. FLT Stage VII trans w/ PAS3400
    ASC# 4619 Conversion date was Dec 3, 2001

Metallic Blue

Thanks for the advice, but now my motor is broken and I am looking for a 6.2l L92 motor. I'm setting that up for the nitrous when I find it.

Thread Information