black
    1998 Camaro SS

spraying in lower gears, timing?

will it be safe to spray in lower gears like 3rd, and 4th?

I called the place im taking my 98 ss m6 to get dyno and street tuned yesterday about the cost and just some questions. installing cam, heads, headers, intake, throttle body, nitrous.

i told him ill only be running 75-100 shot dry and he said ok that they will probably take a few degrees of timing so its safe. he also said that i would lose horsepower though buy pulling a few degrees of timing. how much horsepower are we talkin? and i saw on another thread that you dont necessarily have to pull timing when running nitrous. im just wondeering how muhc hp im losin bc i wont be runnin spray that much and i want all the horsepower i should get from all the mods im installing.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

If you have a "stock" tune now. . . . . . Meaning the timing is still stock you'll be just fine with that small baby shot.

Not sure exactly what your asking about with the 3rd and 4th gear ?.

You shouldn't need to spray in OD. . . . . . . Unless your racing @ the Salt Flat's.

You need to spray from the initial take off. You won't see much gain if you only grab the kit in high gears.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

black
    1998 Camaro SS

ok thanks ill tell the tuner not to take very much off the timing because i want optimal hp when im not spraying.

About the lower gears thing i guess the answer is im dumb. i dont know much about nitrous i always thought you were supposed to wait till 5th or 6th gear (i have an m6 by the way) before you spray. so i should be spraying in the lower gears rather than higher gears? And....hopeully nick from hsw readys this, if i bought the micro edge controller it will start spray at say 3000 rpm and kick off at 6000 right?

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    If you have a "stock" tune now. . . . . . Meaning the timing is still stock you'll be just fine with that small baby shot.

Not sure exactly what your asking about with the 3rd and 4th gear ?.

You shouldn't need to spray in OD. . . . . . . Unless your racing @ the Salt Flat's.

You need to spray from the initial take off. You won't see much gain if you only grab the kit in high gears.
    Wouldn't it be easier on the 10 bolt if you restricted your spray to 2nd gear and above only instead of spraying off the line?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier on the 10 bolt if you restricted your spray to 2nd gear and above only instead of spraying off the line?
    Sure it would. BUT you wouldn't see but half the E.T. gain from the bottle that way. The biggest help you get from nitrous is right out of the gate. So by eliminating that you slow down drastically.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

Ya ill wait a while before i spray off the line. ill still be on stock clutch and stock rear end so ill wait until i can get a spec clutch and a 9". Dont laugh at me too hard but the truthful reason i thought everyone sprayed nitrous in high gear was from the fast and furious lol. i know NOTHING about nitrous so thats the only thing i could go off of.........be gentle..

Thread Information