white
    2002 z28

speed shop said i need no safety or tune for them to install NX kit?

yeasterday i sent to a local speedshop and started to order the NX kit. first of they said they can only get the new MAF kit which is 1000$ and there nozzel kit for 600 they dont make for my car. second i asked them should i get the window switch/ purge/ new colder plugs, and a tune. they said with only 100 -150 shot plugs and tune i shouldnt do casue then my car will be running crappy when im not spraying. what the heck shoulkd i do??? are they just trying to sell my the more expensive kit or should i buy that one ??
    please answere

get tune ? new plugs/gap ?
    and is the MAF the only kit that NX makes for my ls1?

plus how much should a install cost on everything

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

Im running a 175 shot wet throught an NX MAF/Gemini kit on my 02 SS. At first is worked fine but I wasnt getting 100% of the hit. Plus the motor was pinging pretty bad. I changed plugs and added a LS1timer which pulled out 6 degrees of timing wail spraying at WOT. The system hit alot harder. I couldnt hear it over the exhaust but the motor was still pinging. I had the fuel pressure as high as the stock pump would go but it wouldn't clear out. Then I added new injectors and welbro fuel pump plus dyno tuning, now it just screams.
    So I would recommend having it tuned for sure. You may have the system installed right but you never know if one of those noids is bad right out of the box. I did all the safty stuff too because 1) I don't have another car to drive if this one brakes and 2) I wanted to go the track and they require all that stuff.
    If you dont want to use any safty stuff or tuning, then go with a 100 shot dry kit. Its alot easier and cheaper. However if your looking for that big power then play it smart.

white
    2002 z28

JUST 100-150, TUNE AND PLUGS FOR THAT. AND FOR A TUNE WHAT DO THEY DO JUST A/F OR DOES IT INCLUDE EVERYTHING LIKE SHIFT POINTS ON a4, sorry im just really new and safe.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

So here is "my version" of a crash course on Nitrous. So I better not get flamed for this, just tiring to help

100-150hp is a LOT of power. It’s easy to say but not easy to due. Even though you are jetted for 150 doesn’t mean you getting all of it

If the motor is tired or high mileage, nitrous tend to make more power but the engine is hurt much more.

Every motor is a little different. You dyno out five 2000 V8 camaro and they all well so different numbers

The word "tuning" does not mean "I programmed the computer." Tuning covers all aspects of adjusting a motor to make peak power with current modifications. (example, your running lean and program the computer to add more fuel but the motor still pings, a better fuel pump or injectors should be replace to complete the tune) You may spend $1000 on parts but $2000 in order to tune it out perfect. (My kit was $1600 to buy but I spend about $3000 with the install and tuning)

Nitrous turns everyone in to a mad scientist, its fun to see how inventive people get with their kits

Nitrous hits all at once, does do not increase like boost level on a charger or turbo as the RPM raise. (With exception of 2 stage kits) Keep that in mind when programming

Generally no more then 100 shot with dry kits and no more then 150 -175 with wet shot. More it not always better

Much more tuning is required with wet shot but most the time the math is provided by the manufacture I.E. NEX electronic fuel module

Safety stuff generally is a good idea if you plan on driving the car every day. It prevents owners from damaging the motor due inexperience.

The bottom of LS1 motor can handle just about 150-200 extra horsepower weather it’s a supercharger, turbo, heads, cam, nitrous. Some can go more (we all have heard of it) so to stay on the safe side. Keep in mind the engine needs to be in good shape. I have seen some cars come apart at 75 shot.

Nitrous kit themselves can be modified, better noids, bigger bottle, smarter timers, cleaner jets, faster pick-ups. Try to see the whole picture.

There is a lot more and everyone has a different point of view, I could go on but 1) I'm not getting paid for this and 2) more importantly my pop tart is done. So have fun and learn much as you can

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Is your car a 6 speed? Also I would change your plugs to a Autolite AR94 which will help eliminate the chance of detonation. I would also close the gap to .045. The tune will help but NOT a must. Save yourself some money and get a handheld that you can pull timing yourself.
    Go to NX web site and look at the kits you like and there prices and compare to what your shop told you.
    PM me and I'll help you all that I can.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

white
    2002 z28

its a A4 trans
    dud those were the most help ive had soo far including the speed shop. im seriouis! i will pm you guys for help in needed. and soltakr enjoy that pop tart. lol

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Since it's an auto don't worry about a wndow switch unless your budget doesn't matter. A "small" kit such as what your referring to 150hp it will live for ever if installed and tuned correctlly. A buck fifty on a LS isn't enough to worry about the .

The ONLY things I can say are a must is a hobbs switch on the fuel..... And set with in a 5-7 psi window of what it was when tuned. And wiring the solenoids to constant power and switching them on with the GROUND side.

I hope you changed the rear springs if your trying to hook at all on the street.....

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Since it's an auto don't worry about a wndow switch unless your budget doesn't matter. A "small" kit such as what your referring to 150hp it will live for ever if installed and tuned correctlly. A buck fifty on a LS isn't enough to worry about the .

The ONLY things I can say are a must is a hobbs switch on the fuel..... And set with in a 5-7 psi window of what it was when tuned. And wiring the solenoids to constant power and switching them on with the GROUND side.

I hope you changed the rear springs if your trying to hook at all on the street.....

just the springs or should i do the shocks while im at it. are the EIBACH drag luanch kit good and nice price??

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    just the springs or should i do the shocks while im at it. are the EIBACH drag luanch kit good and nice price??
    NO the Eibach Drag Springs are for a drag car. Which you don't have. They are made for a car that is using weight transfer and a cage which you don't have.
    Yes I would get some drag shocks from Lakewood.50/50's

Thread Information