02' hawk

Nitrous with supercharger?

Can you run a dry shot of nitrous with a D1SC supercharger? I already have the NOS-5177 kit for the ls1 in my other car. I want to put it on my new 02' T/A with the supercharger. What all would i need to do this right? Could i put the spray nozzles in the metal air box or will the supercharger mess them up? I thought i saw a plate that goes in front of the mass air flow sensor for nitrous.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Sure, I run the NX MAF kit. Just remember a shot of nitrous doubles with FI.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

02' hawk
    What does that mean "MAF"?-mass air flow? I know that it is from nitrous express. "FI" stands for fuel injection right. Do you know the part #?

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Rhino21149
    Of course you can run nitrous with it. In order to do any good, though, a) you may have to upgrade to bigger fuel injectors--the extra fuel required might excceed your current injectors, b) you'd have to have it tuned well, and c) you have to hope the bottom end can take it. If you have a stock short block I would suggest it will not: I saw someone with a P1 and nitrous split the block, not just a piston and the head.

You might just try a mild shot - 50-75, just to cool the intake charge. That sometimes returns really big results, and it means a bottle lasts a long time which can be important if you are out runn ing on the street alot.

triple-black

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149
    Of course you can run nitrous with it. In order to do any good, though, a) you may have to upgrade to bigger fuel injectors--the extra fuel required might excceed your current injectors, b) you'd have to have it tuned well, and c) you have to hope the bottom end can take it. If you have a stock short block I would suggest it will not: I saw someone with a P1 and nitrous split the block, not just a piston and the head.

You might just try a mild shot - 50-75, just to cool the intake charge. That sometimes returns really big results, and it means a bottle lasts a long time which can be important if you are out runn ing on the street alot.

it's a wet kit... not a dry... if anything, he just needs to make sure he doesn't reach the limit of his fuel-pump.

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS

it's a wet kit... not a dry... if anything, he just needs to make sure he doesn't reach the limit of his fuel-pump.
    The picture you posted is definately a wet kit, but his question asks specifically about "can you run a dry shot of nitrous with a D1SC." And the answer is yes, you can run a dry kit with a SC if you think about the fuel delivery and can get the programming to cover the bandwidth of delivery at small doses at idle a n d all the way to at full boost with nitrious: that is a challenge for some set ups, requiring really good selection of fuel injector size (not too small, not too big), picking the right fuel pressure (just have to play with it, in my experience), and the PCM programming of the fuel delivery pulse widths, etc.

Regardless, if I had access to good PCM programming (someone with LS1 and who knows what they are doing), I'd go with a dry kit unless I had to have a really big boost from the nitrous. Personally I stay away from wet kits because of the four racers I know who have lost their cars to n itrous cars, three were wet system fires, (the other was just a stuck nitrous valve/explosion that blew the intake manifold and fuel rails off). ((Come to thin k of it, these are the only four guys I know who have lost their cars to fires, period).

02' hawk
    Well i gave Nitrous Express a call and he sudgested a "conversion Kit" that would convert it to a "wet" kit. That is what the MAF kit is. Id much rather stick with a "dry" setup though. The wet kit just seems to be more involved in the setup: gas jets and nitrous jets! I don't want to have to get out of the car and readjust the mixture due to the outside temp or humidity. On the "dry" setup the compuer will adjust the fuel right?

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by 02' hawk
    On the "dry" setup the compuer will adjust the fuel right?
    Right, you just n eed to test it on a dyno to tune the PCM well, and make sure it doesn't run too lean because the fuel injectors have run out of capacity: if your tuner sees them running at over about 85-80% duty at full boost/nitrous then it is time to get larger ones or the try to turn up the fuel pressure (which often does nothing big).

triple-black

Well i gave Nitrous Express a call and he sudgested a "conversion Kit" that would convert it to a "wet" kit. That is what the MAF kit is. Id much rather stick with a "dry" setup though. The wet kit just seems to be more involved in the setup: gas jets and nitrous jets! I don't want to have to get out of the car and readjust the mixture due to the outside temp or humidity. On the "dry" setup the compuer will adjust the fuel right?
    wet kit won't change settings due to temp and humidity... the MAF is still gonna do the work for the air coming in.
    as long as the bottle pressure is sensitively the same, you're fine... a heater will make it consistent.
    And as for the original question on putting a dry kit on it, I don't see any issues... but the plate thing is usually after the MAF, not before, and are wet kits.
    Your original question/plan is good... just don't put it too close to the MAF so you don't freeze it. You'll not only benefit from cooling the air down, but also from the added nitrous in it.

02' hawk
    Ok then i will stick with the original 5177 kit just like it came from NOS. I will just mount the jets in the metal air box that came with the supercharger. That will be fine right?

triple-black

Ok then i will stick with the original 5177 kit just like it came from NOS. I will just mount the jets in the metal air box that came with the supercharger. That will be fine right?
    yes... the same way people install the 5177 in the airlid, you put it in the metallic box in its place... will work great.
    I would still run it for the 1st time on a dyno so that you can monitor your A/F ratio just to make sure your fuel-pump nor your injectors are being maxed out... lean = BAD.

triple-black

just an addition... make sure to get the necessary safety features:
    window-switch
    WOT-switch
    FPSS (Fuel-Pressure Safety-switch)

02' hawk
    OK already have all of that!

Thread Information