Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Nitrous questions!

Hello everyone.
    I need some info on nitrous.
    I have no clue bout nitrous. But I know it's the cheapest way to add HP.
    Anything I need to know. Pls feel free to say it.

I always thought that was flammable
    I watched on horsepower TV is not.
    So now I payed more attention to this.
    If is not flammable how does that add more power?
    I seen videos on YouTube bout people blowing up intakes and
    Motors for using nitrous.
    What's the safest best way to do it. Wet or dry?

One bottle can be used for how many times??

Thanks for the help.

At work they put nitrogen on the tires. Idk why.
    Is that the same?

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Anyone?

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    Hello everyone.

Thanks for the help.

Is that the same?
    This should help:
    Nitrous Express » Next Generation Nitrous Oxide Systems

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Hello everyone.

Thanks for the help.

Is that the same?
    Ok, Im pretty new to nitrous myself but I have done a lot of research on it since Im currently running it now in my SS. Here are a few answers that you may be looking for. Ill start by answering your last question about the nitrogen in tires. This isn’t “nitrous” or nitrous oxide. Nitrogen (N not N2O) is put in tires because it is lighter than air and the molecules are bigger which makes it less likely to leak and cause low tire pressure. Nitrous oxide or N2O is made up 2 nitrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom; this is where the “N2O” comes from. The way this adds power is the nitrogen and oxygen split in the combustion chamber, this allows the extra oxygen to help burn more fuel which makes more power in the cylinder. Most of the time you hear of people “blowing their motors” its because they either have not tuned the car to have a correct air/fuel mixture or because they are simply over powering the internal parts of the motor. Nitrous can be very safe as long as you use it correctly. Backfires that usually blow up intakes mostly happen under 2000 rpm or while hitting the rev limiter. When the motor hits the rev limiter it cuts fuel and like stated above this extra fuel is a must with nitrous so problems will happen without it.

The difference between a wet kit and a dry kit it that the “wet” adds fuel with the nitrous and the “dry” needs fuel added from the injectors. They both can be safe but I would say that a wet kit is safer. With a wet kit there is no need to get bigger injectors since the extra needed fuel is flowing with the nitrous from the nozzle or plate or whatever you are using. I would highly recommend a high flow fuel pump with either application though.

There is that old saying that goes like this, “Don’t be afraid of the nitrous, be afraid of the tune!” This cant be more true. Without a proper tune that pulls timing among other thing then your nitrous system is a ticking time bomb. Make sure you have enough money saved up for all the needed safety devices before you hook up the nitrous. With the proper safety applied, nitrous is just as safe as any other power adder out there and can be done for much lees of the cost. Just make sure no corners are cut and you will be fine.

Here are a few things to keep in mind that are needed when buying a nitrous kit that most likely will not come with your kit.

Bottle pressure gauge
    Bottle warmer
    Purge kit (clears the line of old nitrous or trapped air or moisture to assure that only fresh nitrous goes in the solenoid to be sprayed)
    Full throttle activation switch (ZEX kits come with a very good one that taps into the TPS)
    Window switch module (this allows the nitrous to only activate within an RPM of your choice to prevent early and late spraying)
    Blow down tube (if for any reason the bottle gets too pressurized this will allow the extra pressure to be released to outside the car instead of inside)
    Colder plugs (TR6 or 7)
    Tune! (never run nitrous without one!)

Like I said though I am still pretty new to Nitrous and Im positive there are many on this site who know far more than I but I feel that I do know enough to answer most of your questions. If you have any other questions just hit me up and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge. Thanks and good luck with it!

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Thanks Tom. Great info on that page. Answered all the questions I had

Thanks jason great info as well.
    What shot are currently running on your car?
    I'll be getting my car tuned after LTs & Ls6 intake.
    I will def get nitrous. I love to see that bottle on the center of the back seat!

The only problem I see Is. Where to install it.
    Some guy where I live he said he knows. He also said is simple
    But I rather get a pro to get it done.

What should be the best kit to get?

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

im running a 150 wet on mine. mine is kinda pieced together persay lol i have an edelbrock bottle with nitrous outlet lines and HSW solenoinds. i currently have mine on a push button because i like to have more control over it. HOWEVER when i first started using it i was on a full throttle switch and that was great until i wanted more control. most people run a window switch and i will say that it is safer but ive been running the bottle on my car for over 7 months now with out it and have done just fine, you just have to be careful and watch when you hit the button.

as far as location i had peviously removed my rear seats so i mounted it behind the driver seat on the perch thats supposed to be for the lower seat. if you mount it in the center the angle for the bottle is off and the only way to fix it is to get an adjustable mount that are pretty pricey. if i can get to a computer tonight i will upload some of my pics up here. so you can see what all im talking about.

when looking at a kit there basically all the same thing with with miniscule differences, the better brands are NOS, NX, HSW, Edelbrock (not many use theirs), and bang for your buck is going to be a nitrous outlet kit.

i started out with a 75 dry shot and loved it but wanted more so i moved up to the 150 wet and it still scares the shit out of me when i hit that button and it is definately a drug (im sure Jason can vouch for this too).

on a side note it always comes in handy if you loosing in a race when your on motor. gotta love when people think they have the win only to find out you had a little laughing gas to grab ya the win
    2000 ss camaro, forged lq9 370 short block, stage 3 PRC 243 heads, fast 102 w, big mouth throttle body, MS3 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, stage 3 t-56, monster stage 3, pro 5.0, 4.10's with moser axles, bmr tq arm, lca's, phb. SOLD (thankfully)!!!

New project: 1968 step-side, partial restore, ls/th400 swap. hopefully boosted pics and more info to come!!!

Having a small cam is like having a small dick, everytime you go to use it you wish it was bigger

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Thanks bro
    I bet it Is addicting lol. I'll probably be hitting that button all day long lol
    I seen there many ways to run it. I actually like the button better. That way I could feel the adrenaline when I hit it lol and decide when I want it.
    I'll start with 75 or 100. When I get the other motor I'll run 150-200.

If you could post some pics I'll apreciate it
    The more I read bout this. The more I wanna get it done soon.

How much you guys paid for install?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I prefer using a WOT switch. If I want it on later, I can delay it by arming it later.
    I think a Window Switch is a must. Especially on a M6.
    I run both with a bottle warmer and remote bottle opener.

One hit from a 150 shot and your hooked.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Thanks Ed.
    The wot switch sounds good. But I'm not sure if I'm going with the button or that switch yet.
    I'll like to see some pics of your bottles, setup or anything related to nitrous
    What is a window switch?
    If you guys could post pics or some items I'll need to get this done.
    Thanks

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Thanks Ed.
    The wot switch sounds good. But I'm not sure if I'm going with the button or that switch yet.
    I'll like to see some pics of your bottles, setup or anything related to nitrous
    What is a window switch?
    If you guys could post pics or some items I'll need to get this done.
    Thanks
    Here ya go

HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS... EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE!
    **PHK**

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

some more...

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Dont worry guys the warmer, blow down tube and window swith will be added this month. Funds some how got a lil low last month

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Nitrous Switches:

Click for full size

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Just a question out of my own curiosity...

With the nozzle feed being that close to the MAF (I realize it's after), do you ever see any nitrous on the MAF itself or no? I assume the nozzle has an elbow inside the bellows that points towards the throttle body?

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Just a question out of my own curiosity...

With the nozzle feed being that close to the MAF (I realize it's after), do you ever see any nitrous on the MAF itself or no? I assume the nozzle has an elbow inside the bellows that points towards the throttle body?
    Yes, the nitrous and fuel are directed toward the TB. I havent even had mine on a full month yet but no I havent noticed any nitrous or fuel on the MAF but I dont see how it would ever get on it unless the nozzle was turned around or if I sprayed it without the motor running. Heres a pic of a ZEX nozzle like Im using.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Thanks for the pics guys.
    Jason that's exactly what I have in mind. Looks
    Badass man. The bracket where the bottle sits where did you buy it?
    How many lbs is your bottle?

If you had a link or anything. You can send me for a kit like yours.
    Thanks alot.

One more question. Did u install it your self?

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

never see that braket for the hump either but it looks good IMO and that its a 10ib there is no way a 15ib would sit back there with out coming over the top of the center console. my push button is mounted in the ash tray as well but im about to move it to the shifter so i can manually shift the car and spray at the same time if i want to. most pay to have it installed (wired) if i were you i would pay someone to wire it in since your not too familiar with what all needs to go where

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Thanks for the pics guys.
    Jason that's exactly what I have in mind. Looks
    Badass man. The bracket where the bottle sits where did you buy it?
    How many lbs is your bottle?

If you had a link or anything. You can send me for a kit like yours.
    Thanks alot.

One more question. Did u install it your self?
    Thanks man! The bottle mount is by HSW (Harris Speed Works). I bought it used from a guy off tech. I couldn’t find a mount anywhere other than Nitrous Outlets version they sell but I liked the HSW one better since it’s not as bulky and is already black. I think if you buy a kit from HSW it may come with it but I don’t think they sell just the mount. But like I said Nitrous outlet does sell one thats a lil different by it self and its bare metal. My bottle is 10lbs, like Brenden said, any bigger will not fit in that location. I got my kit from Summit years ago. They still sell the same one I believe but they also have a better "High Output" kit now as well. You can also get the "black out" option which has all the lines and fittings coated in black instead of the typical silver braded ones. I would have went with that it if were out when I bought my kit. Yes I installed everything myself. There are only two things done to my car that I didn’t do to it and that the welds on my sub frames and the tune. I don’t like other people working on my car lol. The wiring was the hardest part and once you figure everything out its really a pretty simple install.

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    never see that braket for the hump either but it looks good IMO and that its a 10ib there is no way a 15ib would sit back there with out coming over the top of the center console. my push button is mounted in the ash tray as well but im about to move it to the shifter so i can manually shift the car and spray at the same time if i want to. most pay to have it installed (wired) if i were you i would pay someone to wire it in since your not too familiar with what all needs to go where
    The button in my ashtray is just for the purge. I have my nitrous wired to the TPS. I have it setup to when I flip the activation switch it arms the nitrous to full throttle and automatically pulls timing and adjusts the fuel curve for the nitrous. That way I’m not always riding around with a lame nitrous tune when I’m not using it. I agree though, if I were using the push button style then I would want it either on the shifter or the steering wheel.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    Thanks man! The bottle mount is by HSW (Harris Speed Works). I bought it used from a guy off tech. I couldn’t find a mount anywhere other than Nitrous Outlets version they sell but I liked the HSW one better since it’s not as bulky and is already black. I think if you buy a kit from HSW it may come with it but I don’t think they sell just the mount. But like I said Nitrous outlet does sell one thats a lil different by it self and its bare metal. My bottle is 10lbs, like Brenden said, any bigger will not fit in that location. I got my kit from Summit years ago. They still sell the same one I believe but they also have a better "High Output" kit now as well. You can also get the "black out" option which has all the lines and fittings coated in black instead of the typical silver braded ones. I would have went with that it if were out when I bought my kit. Yes I installed everything myself. There are only two things done to my car that I didn’t do to it and that the welds on my sub frames and the tune. I don’t like other people working on my car lol. The wiring was the hardest part and once you figure everything out its really a pretty simple install.

The button in my ashtray is just for the purge. I have my nitrous wired to the TPS. I have it setup to when I flip the activation switch it arms the nitrous to full throttle and automatically pulls timing and adjusts the fuel curve for the nitrous. That way I’m not always riding around with a lame nitrous tune when I’m not using it. I agree though, if I were using the push button style then I would want it either on the shifter or the steering wheel.
    yeah i cannot host pics here at work but i was able to up load some to my profile pics if you all want to take a look there you can see my setup.

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    yeah i cannot host pics here at work but i was able to up load some to my profile pics if you all want to take a look there you can see my setup.
    This is what I get when I click on your album link... "Invalid Album specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator."... do you have your pics set to private?

Thread Information