teal
    94 z28

nitrous and propane

I'm interested in running propane as a secondary fuel source for the nitrous.I have been on BTR's website and I would like to upgrade my new nitrous kit to this style of a setup. Can anyone out running this type of setup help me out? Any information would help. I already know propane is between 104 to 110 octane. This style setup is spraying the propane as a liquid but what type of tank do I need? Is the fuel solinoid rated to haddle the 190PSI of the propane tank? How will I have to jet it? I bought a single nozzle dyno tune wet nitrous kit which I plan to use for this setup.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i have looked into it. some guys use a propane tank off their grill. if you don't like the ugliness of it, some nitrous places sell a nitrous bottle with a propane valve on it. i'll have to check on the fuel solenoid issue.

as far as jetting goes, i do remember it being way less than fuel jetting. i don't know of a chart out there, so it'll be a trial thing.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

ok, just off the phone with my guy in the know. you use the same fuel solenoid for the propane. most fuel solenoids are good up to 250 psi.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i didnt know you could run propane on gasoline cars, now that i think about it i dont see why not, just i've never heard of people doing it

does it give as big of a gain as nitrous

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you still use nitrous. the propane is replacing the fuel.

teal
    94 z28

Thanx for checking on the fuel solenoid. If they are using a propane tank like what is on a grill are they mounting it upside down so that they can spray it as a liquid? If used as a liquid like nitrous you would also be gaining from the cooling process when it is released to a gas(at the nozzle) which will be helping to cool the air entering the cylinders.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the viper guy i saw using a grill tank had it upright. the person i consult with wants it to be liquid all the way.

I've actualy played around quite a bit with nitrous and propane. You can run it as either a liquid or a gas, if you do it as a gas you need to run a larger jet than if it were liquid. One of the main problems I kept running into was that because both the nitrous and the propane take up so much room in the manifold it seems to hit a wall sooner then it would with gasoline. I have some notes that might help you if send me a pm with your email I will send you what I have from the testing I did.

teal
    94 z28

Well I think I have what I needed so I'll start getting the peices together new line tank fittings and some extra jets. I plan on trying a two stage setup. Thanks for the help.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

LPG works great

teal
    94 z28

Ran 12.51 @ 110mph still have to lean it out

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

good job. make sure to add yourself to the ET listing in both the drag racing section and nitrous section.

Black & Brilliant Silver
    1999&1997 SL600 6.0 V12's

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    i didnt know you could run propane on gasoline cars, now that i think about it i dont see why not, just i've never heard of people doing it

does it give as big of a gain as nitrous
    grandpa's 454 pickup runs propane. its cheaper, and gets better mileage. for towing a 35' double pop out. it pulled many a fords trailer over pikes peak. pussy ass fords, built to tow, cant tow shit. "hey chevyguy can you tow my trailer, my ford huffed and puffed and pulled its groin."

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by jakesz28 View Post
    Thanx for checking on the fuel solenoid. If they are using a propane tank like what is on a grill are they mounting it upside down so that they can spray it as a liquid? If used as a liquid like nitrous you would also be gaining from the cooling process when it is released to a gas(at the nozzle) which will be helping to cool the air entering the cylinders.
    You should use a liquid draw tank, such as those used on forklifts and rock crawlers.

teal
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    You should use a liquid draw tank, such as those used on forklifts and rock crawlers.
    If you want to use a smaller tank you can use the old style valve without the opd then invert the tank so that you get liquid. I think I will use a 5lb nitrous bottle and freeze it to help transfer the propane from a larger forklift tank.
    The first nitrous powered LT1 in the 8's.
    8.957 @ 151.6 mph

Thread Information