silver
    99z28

To nitrous or not to nitrous that is the ?

I am not a fan of power adders always liked good ole n/a. I just about have the money saved for a new 427 short block. I want a 1/4 mile car to put it simply that I will still drive in the summer. Im not worried about sitting at a light and getting rattled to death because of a big cam. So with that said is nitrous all that its cracked up to be and how big of a shot is impressive? I was thinking minimum of 150 horse. Pros cons ?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Welcome to the forum man....don't feel nekkid in a crowd...we all have been in the exact spot you find yourself.....I wanna haul ass at the track but want a streetable daily driver .......
    I am old school hot rod for sure...nitrous to me was always "the kids toy" or the "poor mans power adder"....man was I wrong.....I have a 04 GTO I have built over the last year.....
    Patriot Stage II Heads..ported by Spreen Racing Engines...Comp Cam 228/588/113....all valves/springs etc upgraded...SW LT Headers/Borla exhaust..Shaner TB.....you get the picture.....so just the bolt ons put over 400 to the wheels...the torque is amazing.....of course the trannie is properly setup...A4..3200 stall etc....I loved the drive ability of the car.....the cam was mild enough not to make it thumpa thumpa around traffic.....but was there in low/mid range with a kick in the ass at WOT....but of course I wanted to throw asphalt higher into orbit......so what do I do...Turbo....Blower? I hang out with mucho gearheads/wrenches and a race car specialty shop owner.....all said nitrous.....so I did last week.....it is so nice to maintain the drive ability and only turn on the terror juice when I want it...a 100 wet shot is nothing to the engine...nothing...but the performance is just unreal....we dyno tuned her and got 500RWHP and 600RWTQ....with a 100 shot.....I highly recommend the Nitrous route...safe...efficient...and you can have it when you want it and go back to all naturally aspirated when you don't....best of both worlds.....

Red
    2002 Pontiac TransAm WS.6

n2o all the way, I took me awhile to convert myself from not wanting it, to I wish i got it a long time ago.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I love this guys screen name^^^^

XTrooper
    I too was a holdout, but I'm very glad I went the nitrous route.

Like many of you, I had come to a crossroad with my car. I wanted to go a bit faster (I was just barely squeaking into the 11's with the car and then only when things were perfect), but I didn't want to affect the drivability of the car. I had gotten as far as I had without really affecting the good manners of it and I didn't want to hurt them now. That didn't leave me with many options and it definitely eliminated the idea of a bigger cam. That left me with a new, larger-displacement motor and/or power adders. My long-range plans are for a large-displacement, forged motor, but that's down the road yet. Superchargers/turbos I already done in the past on different vehicles and the kits are very expensive for the C5, so I was relishing the idea of either. That left nitrous though initially I was dead against this idea. However, when I put aside all my preconcieved notions about it and started to do some research, I found that it can be used relatively safely and that's it's been used in racing for decades now.

Well, to make a long story short, I took the plunge, bought a wet system, installed it myself, and it turned out very well for me. With just a small 75 shot, my car is now running in the 11.40's @ 120+ mph.

$ to horsepower increases you can't go wrong with nitrous!

Matt

RED98WS6
    Quote Originally Posted by swwmotorsports
    I am not a fan of power adders always liked good ole n/a. I just about have the money saved for a new 427 short block. I want a 1/4 mile car to put it simply that I will still drive in the summer. Im not worried about sitting at a light and getting rattled to death because of a big cam. So with that said is nitrous all that its cracked up to be and how big of a shot is impressive? I was thinking minimum of 150 horse. Pros cons ?

Go ahead and do it! The darkside is calling you....

I wouldn't go over 150 shot on that 427 because your already going to be making alot of power.

Black
    '01 Camaro SS

Just do it!!! When you do it it'll take at least week or so to get the off your face!!

BTW: Got a new NOS 5177 for sale over in "parts for sale"
    '07 ZO6, Red , stock for now
    '01 SS M6,MTI lid, F.R.A.M.,B.P.P MAF,coolant bypass,SLP 160 therm.SLP 1.85 rockers,SLP pulley,Drill mod,SLP STB,SLP SFC's,SLP D/S loop,Lou's S/S,BMR T/A,BMR LCA's,BMR LCA brackets,Bilstein's,Moser 12 bolt 3.73's, Nitto's, NOS 5177,MSD window switch

silver
    99z28

when its done you all will know and thanks for the posts!

RedRamAir2000
    emm nos is good yes but myself i like the superchargers,its always there plus no bottle fills run about 9psi and a 50 shot the 50 shot will cool the air even better than an entercooler will plus with a 50 shot you will gain about 75 to 85 hourse just because it cools the air.my friend put a vortec v9 g trim dynoed 440rwhp then put a 50 shot and got 520 at the rear wheels just with the 50 shot

02Vortech
    I am going to put nitrous on my LS1 in blazer when i get the money (still recovering from swap, and tranny build up), but i had a 100 wet shot on my 4.3L that was in there w/ the timing pulled only 1 degree, ran 12:1 a/f ratio and would rape mustangs like nothing, in the 1/8th mile i went from 10.0 @60 to 8.21 @72 (we only got an 1/8th mile track round here) this was only w/ ladder bars, a posi, and nitto 555r's to get some tracktion. w/ exhaust/ intake/ throttle body/ port and polish i ran dead even w/ a 13 flat mustang so i was happy. Yea man go for it, its great, but make sure you get all the accesories you will be much much happier/ bottle warmer/ remote opener/ purge/ an electric guage to know what your bottle pressure is. Anyways good luck man

Rivera Blue
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Go NX,

Just don't forget to have two bottles and bottle heaters, why you ask?

It sucks when your pulling on somebody but all of a sudden the other person starts pulling on you because of nitrous fade.

02Vortech
    i assume you have done that how did you do that???? i guess you could put in a y-block and then have a solenoid switch bottles???? hmmmm plz elaborate.

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I gave into the spray right away....love the stuff
    2001 Trans Am WS6 #4925 built/tuned by CMS

Rivera Blue
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

02Vortech,
    NX or Nitro Dave sells a kit that comes with an NX y block and the two lines.

You want to stick with the same companys components and never mix and match.

To nitrous Or Not That Is The.....

Tis Better To Go Bigger Shot Is The Answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NitrousDirect
    Nothing wrong with mixing and matching, other companies try and lead you on to believe you can only use their brand. That's dishonest. Feel free to shop around and find what suits you best

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

yay giggle gas!

Thread Information