Thread: Nitrous Newb

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Nitrous Newb

Well I'm a huge newb to nitrous I've never had much interest and therefore have never even entertained the idea or looked into it. But at this point I figured I should be open minded and atleast familiarize myself with it.

A couple questions to start off with... I'm curious is a wet kit safer then a dry shot or is it a matter of obtaining more hp out of a shot? or is it both?

secondly whats all needed to do a wet shot? do you have to add nitrous at every injector port or only in one place like a dry shot?

thanks guys sorry if I'm way off the mark on this one I'm really lost on this stuff...

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    Well I'm a huge newb to nitrous I've never had much interest and therefore have never even entertained the idea or looked into it. But at this point I figured I should be open minded and atleast familiarize myself with it.

A couple questions to start off with... I'm curious is a wet kit safer then a dry shot or is it a matter of obtaining more hp out of a shot? or is it both?

secondly whats all needed to do a wet shot? do you have to add nitrous at every injector port or only in one place like a dry shot?

thanks guys sorry if I'm way off the mark on this one I'm really lost on this stuff...
    im not the best person to respond, but i can answer a bit of that.

wet is generally safer. it's safer with bigger shots because the fuel is already there and not being added by the computer.

a wet shot of nitrous is done like a dry shot, with a nozzle into the intake, but a wet shot has a nozzle with fuel too.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post

you'll allways get mixed answers depending on who you ask. some will say wet is better b/c you allways have the extra fuel there...but others will say, the extra fuel there is a potential for problems. you cant go wrong either way....wet kits hit harder, thats a fact, but you can spray as much as you want no matter which way you decide to go. it all boils down to cost really and what you would prefere.
    with the introduction of our HSW interface its now just as easy to run a huge dry shot as it would be for wet. and it doesnt matter where you place your knozzle cause you no longer need to depend on the maf to add the fuel for you.
    shot size is generally determined by the size of the solenoids. smaller solenoids can usually hand up about 150shot wheres the bigger solenoids can get you 300+. i encourage you to do some searching on all the available kits out there and see where you would like to be power wise and make your decision from there.

for a wet shot you would need a knozzle that flows both nitrous and fuel...adding nitrous to every injector(cylinder) is a direct port style set up and you would need 1 knozzle for every cylinder which can get pretty expensive. dry shots are the easiest and simplest to hook up...less solenoids, less knozzles, etc.etc.

the most important thing you need to know about nitrous is that a tune is very crucial when using it. a bad tune can pretty much ruin your day in a hurry. if you plan on spraying more than a 100shot wet or dry, make sure you upgrade your injectors/fuel pumps. you will also get mixed reviews on the injectors/pump thing b/c technically you dont "need" them but its a good piece of mind to ensure you'll allways have fuel there.
    feel free to visit the website for kits and it can also answer alot of questions you may end up having...also you can allways feel free to PM myself or Matt@HSW and we can help you out with anything you need. hope this helps ya out a little and gets ya started.
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

that helped alot thank you very much...

Thread Information