2000 Z28

Nitrous Cam Choice

You may move this post but I thought the nitrous guys would give me some input on this.

I am going to start building my 00' Z. My goals are to have a car I can drive everyday on the street but be able to go to the track and eat some ricers. I have never built a nitrous car but I want to make this car a nitrous car, nothing serious, under 175shot for now until I decide to upgrade internals.

My question is, when I get a cam, I want to make sure it will be able to work well with the N2O. What do I need to look for? High LSA, (114ish?).
    What makes a cam a N2O friendly cam? LSA, Duration, Lift?

I was looking at the Torker v.2 from TSP, would that be ok? If so, what LSA would you suggest? Im looking for power throughout the curve or in the low/mid, and not at peak(above..6k?) power. The N20 can give me the power in the upper RPM ranges from what I hear.

Any cam choices or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

For most of us that are planning to run N20 on a stock bottom end and are going to keep the shot under the 150 - 175 range, it usually makes the sense to get a cam that fits your N/A performance goals. Larger shots and more elaborate setups may require a little more thought and planning with the cam swap, however the T2 you've selected above should work well with a 150 shot.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

nitrous really doesn't care about what cam you have. pick the cam you want and have fun. if you were to look through comp cams book and look at na cams versus nitrous cams, they just up the LSA by 1*. all else is the same.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

2000 Z28

Alright, thats what I thought. Thanks guys.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well let me start off by saying that I would get a custom ground cam to directly to your application.

With the technology we have today I see NO point in buying off the shelf universal grinds. You can call Cam Motion and get a custom ground cam for the same price you'll spend to get a off the shelf cam. Everyones car is different and the cam is the heart of ANY motor it dictates the actions of the motor by valve timing and duration. So minor changes can make big differences in the power band. Peak numbers don't mean squat.

http://www.cammotion.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=56

Even if you don't call Cam Motion I would call a cam company direct with ALL your specs including an exact weight of your car.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

You really can't go wrong going with Cam Motion. I have worked with more than a few of their grinds and have they have ALL made excellent power. You need to be able to define your goals and ALL of the rest of your setup, and THEN go to them for the cam.

2000 Z28

Yea, that would be the best thing to do. Maybe I am the only one but... Do we ever really know exactly what we want? I want a streetable car that can maybe get into the 10's with N20. But this process could/will take years before this goal is met. I may start building my car up and have a piston melt and decide to go 383 stroker half way into my build. Things happen, no one can predict the future to the full extent. I would love to get a custom grind cam. Can I still get one if I dont know Every Exact Detail my car will have in the future? I will know most/some things, but not everything. I might be happy with 100hp shot for a year, but we always want more power.

Sorry to rant, ive been having issues with my !Cat project and I needed to vent.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ28 View Post
    Yea, that would be the best thing to do. Maybe I am the only one but... Do we ever really know exactly what we want? I want a streetable car that can maybe get into the 10's with N20. But this process could/will take years before this goal is met. I may start building my car up and have a piston melt and decide to go 383 stroker half way into my build. Things happen, no one can predict the future to the full extent. I would love to get a custom grind cam. Can I still get one if I dont know Every Exact Detail my car will have in the future? I will know most/some things, but not everything. I might be happy with 100hp shot for a year, but we always want more power.

Sorry to rant, ive been having issues with my !Cat project and I needed to vent.
    It about being honest with there ?'s. As in if you plan on blowing 250-300 after you upgrade the fuel system tell them that. Don't tell them you plan on blowing only 150 when you know damn well you will be up jetting as soon as you get the money. Most make the mistake of mis representing their intended use. Such as telling them it's a weekend warrior when they drive the car everyday.
    If you plan on putting 4.10's in the future then tell them you have 4.10's. Be aware that the car is going to run shitty with the 3.08's and be out of it's optimum power range.
    I feel you will still end up with the best cam by doing it this way versus buying an off the shelf grind going off others opinions.
    I have customers that bring me their cars and say the car has been running great they just want more power. I get in the car to drive it and they run like shit to me. Pig rich or way too much timing pinging like crazy but they don't know any better.

2000 Z28

I agree with you there. That is what I was wondering. Sounds good. That is probably what I am going to do when the time comes. Thankyou.

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

im using a tr224/227 563/569 114 ,havent gotten the 150 shot wet kit hooked up til i get 30lb injectors and new fuel pump.

2000 Z28

How much HP shot do you think I can run safetly with a Wet Kit on stock injectors/fuel pump? 100?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ28 View Post
    How much HP shot do you think I can run safetly with a Wet Kit on stock injectors/fuel pump? 100?
    100 shouldn't be a problem....the general rule of thumb is that if your stock injectors and fuel pump are working properly, you should be good up to a 150 wet shot.

For the original post if your using less than a 200 shot get the cam that makes the most hp on the motor and spray it. If its a true nitrous car we normally will add 6* exhaust bias and ope up the lsa 2-4 and advance the cam 1-2

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

if you have heads and cam those 26lbs will be maxed out like mine was 110% shudnt be no more than 85% and to be safe, step up to 30lbs and a good fuel pump then you will be set

Thread Information