no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

i need answers...please!

got into a debate with a few friends about NAWS and i say that (though ive never used it) you should have forged internals for anything over , say 100hp shot. just to be safe. i know people spray on the stock short block but from what i have read the ls1 head bolts arent designed to tolerate that much pressure..... my friends say they would spray atleast 150 to 200 then get new bolts and spray-pistons and rings. i just cant see it being good for an engine with high compression to spray very much.

Help.....

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

if we are only refering to the LSx motors 150 isn't a big deal. been doing it for almost 2 years now, with some of it in the 200 range. nitrous isn't like a blower/turbo. it isn't affected by compression in the same way. with the addition of nitrogen, it allows you to run with higher compression without detonation problems, like a blower/turbo. nitrous is -127*F. this can cool intake charges up to 60*. blower/turbos don't have this benefit, which is why they have intercoolers. blower/turbos actually increase air temp, because of the compression of the air molecules.

now, if we were refering to a 4 banger, then 100 can be pushing it on stock internals.

a mag did a pill it til you kill it test, a couple of years ago. stock 1975 350 SBC. all they did was take it apart to make sure it was in good shape. re-ring it and put a cam in it. reminder vintage 1975 cast pistons, stock crank and rods. they got it up to 425 hp pills before it busted two pistons. and this was because they were purging it into the motor. they didn't put a purge solenoid on it. they did NA pulls after each nitrous run. the motor kept making more power, NA, each time.

nothing stock is meant to put up with large amounts of cylinder pressure, but they can.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Pewter
    2000 z28

shit! ok thanks alot man. maybe i'll try out the spray for alittle while. thanks for the info. now i have to go back with my tail between my legs, but i really wanted to know. im just still alittle worried about using nitrous....

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

there's always a worry with it. solenoids can stick open/shut, fuel pump take a crap on you, and so on.

That's why there are saftey devices you can use. This ain't MADMAX where you open the valve and start haulin down the road with goggles on.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I'll tell you first hand your friends are CLUELESS!!!

We have MANY LS motors blowing 150+ for years with NO issues!!!
    The key is to have the timing and A/F ratio correct. I have blown 200 myself for a great deal of time with NOT one issue.

The LS motor uses a "skirted" style block with cross bolted main caps.... So there is a VERY sturdy bottom end.

Yes the compression is towards the high side that is why timing is CRUCIAL!!!
    And yes spark plugs are a important factor also.

And to guide your friends in the right direction I would tell them that you can buy fuel that can handle the cylinder pressure of the compression and a great amount of nitrous.

Detonation is MY enemy!!!! Detonation = .......
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

read a little closer. it's not his friends that say you should have forged stuff over 100, it was him.

^

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    read a little closer. it's not his friends that say you should have forged stuff over 100, it was him.
    yeah, i wasnt exactly gonna volunteer that.....

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    That was the whole point............ I was being a smart a_s!!!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

ok, missed that one.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

No biggie!!
    I had forgot cause I didn't get a notice back until today about this thread.

I was trying to be somewhat nice by not calling the guy out on his own post.

Thread Information