2000 WS6 Trans Am

Give me the run down on nitrous?

Alright, well I have been researching to get a 100 shot of nitrous for my car, but am having trouble understanding how exactly it works.

I see wide open throttle switches that come with the kits. So does this make it so I can only spray nitrous at WOT (manually?) or where when I go WOT and it is armed, it automatically sprays and I have to do nothing but keep the pedal to the metal?

Also what extra safety features should I have so I don't blow my motor? And what extra components are good to have? (bottle heater, purge, remote bottle opener, etc).

Also, where would I install a purge so that it isn't completely obvious im spraying? (if thats possible lol)

Just trying to get an idea of how nitrous works, since the way my dad used to run it isn't anything like this on his carbed 350 small block. It had very little electronics, just enough to let him push a button to spray.

Thanks for the help because now that it is summer I am making money to get mods and nitrous is one that I am getting.

Red
    1997 Firebird M5

I would think that if you cant think of anywhere to make the purge discreet, make it come out of the nostrils

Impounded
    nos seems sketchy to me on stock bottomends

red with black strips
    2000 trans am ws6

Anything over a hundred shot will most likely blow Ur engine I was thinkin ab a 75 shot.Tht would b perfect imo

Shit brown
    1985 Chevy S10

Really people? do any of you even have NOS kits? I run 125 shot on my stock bottom end SBC. Basic pistons. Nothing over the top. Will it end up hurting the motor? well no shit, so will a procharger and a turbo and a supercharger! But!! with juice i dont have it running day and night.

I run a wet shot with my carbed system. 100 is a perfect start. Purge under the car? no one will see it and your lines will be clean. Bottom warmer! not needed but nice. Blow down tube if its in the car, even the trunk. if you dont have this kiss your chance of going down the 1/4 mile away.

Full throttle systems still needs to be armed with a toggle but once armed and your foot is to the floor the NOS sprays. not at 1/4 or 1/2 or 3/4 and not even at 7/8ths. its a nice system for high speeds so you can keep your hands on the steering wheel.

Running under a 100 shit is pointless. Dont waste your time or money on something so small. with your 100 shot you will be lucky to get 75-85 horsepower from it. Hints why i went 125.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

dont be afraid of the nitrous... be afraid of your tune! With the right tune nitrous is just as safe as any other power adder.

NBM
    2002 NBM WS6

Nitrous just runs hotter and increases cylinder temps just like a super or turbo, requiring you to retard some timing and maybe run a colder plug with less gap. You may also need to run a higher octane depending on your goals.

All you need is a good tune like BLK2KSS said.

You are basically forcing more oxygen into the intake and cylinders that you need to match with more fuel. Most stock V8s should be ok adding around 140-150 HP.

Depending on where you are from you may or may not need a bottle heater, usually want the bottle to be in the 75* to 90* range. I would do the remote bottle opener because you will always come up to a light or on the freeway up to someone who wants to race when your bottle is off without it, and it is annoying as hell after a while to open the trunk or reach into the backseat area to open the bottle manually.

Purges are good as well to ensure that your lines are charged and pressurized before activating the "red button", and I for one love the look of NOX purged out in the air.

You do not want to activate nitrous any lower than 2500+ RPM at WOT, you are adding a lot of torque as soon as the mixture is added, at higher RPMs the engine is already moving and can take the added pressure a lot easier, and the intake exhaust is able to move the added air/fuel better at higher RPMs.

If done right and not abused you will not have much more wear and tear on the engine. Your tires, tranny, rearend, and driveshaft are another matter, again another reason don't you want to activate NOX any less than 2500 RPM.

So look for a kit that improves your HP from 75 to 150 HP depending on your goals and get a good tuner and post your results so we can see.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by fil131; 06-09-2011 at 10:02 AM.

NBM
    2002 NBM WS6

Check out these threads too, they have a few different #'s and info than what I posted above.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155296

LS2TUNER says it best!

This one is a sticky.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/nitrou...rous-info.html
    Last edited by fil131; 06-09-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Well said fil well said.

NBM
    2002 NBM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK View Post
    Well said fil well said.
    Thanks

I must give credit to other members posts on this and other sites, reading and research is your best friend to overcome fears/questions of different sources of power.

Thread Information