Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Impounded
    05 GTO

can you safely run nos for <$400?

I see the kits price in~$300 but after you add all the safety stuff people recommend that price pretty much triples. So I ask, can you safely run with just the basic kit?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

subscribed. i want to know about cheap nos

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Sure, but you get what you pay for, you want a cheep kit its gonna be hard on your engine and more things are likely to go very wrong. If you are willing to take the risk of going faster do it but I would recomend if your going to mess with nitrous money shouldnt be an object and doing it right the first time is going to save you money in the long run.....

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

harris speed works is having a great sale til the 31st....

From my understanding there is only two manufactures of sileniods. The basic kits are a good start, but you need the extras like bottle heater, blowdown tube, purger valve and a pressure gauge to make sure that you get the maximum performance.

Impounded
    05 GTO

that's what I wanted to know. Even though the basic starter kit has a nice price tag they really shouldn't be used alone correct?

Like I said it is a starter point to get you going, but you will want the bottle heater and blanket to regulate the pressure. You will want to get a pressure gauge to monitor what the pressure is in the bottle. The purge works good to get rid of any trapped air in the system, but it also looks cool when you purge it.

I started with a basic system and added everything else as time and money allowed me to. I have about $800 in everything that I have in my system now and have no problems with it.

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jperkins812 View Post
    I started with a basic system and added everything else as time and money allowed me to. I have about $800 in everything that I have in my system now and have no problems with it.
    did u just install you kit without the window switch etc etc?

I have my nitrous setup on another car (97 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS), and I have it triggered with the wide open thottle switch. The arming switch is mounted in front of the shifter and once I am in second gear than I arm the system at full thottle and spary the car in each gear.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

I Just Have The Wide Open Throttle Switch Hooked Up I Have A Window Switch But Its Not Hooked Up And I Have A Fuel Pressure Cut Off Switch That I Havent Hooked Up But I Know My Fuel Pressure Isnt Dropping To Low And Until I Can Get The Fuel Switch Pressure Set Where I Need It I Will Just Keep An Eye On Fuel Pressure To Make Sure It Is Safe

BUT THAT IS A WET KIT

Want a new car

To be safe you need a window switch so you can control what rpm the nitros comes on and also a wot (wide open throtle) switch so the nitros shuts off when you are not on the throtle, that should come with any kit I would hope, if not they are inexpensive. The window switch is not too much either or can probably find a used one.

Black
    98 Camaro

I'm going to say I have right around....$450 in my nitrous set up. HSW dry kit, with a couple other things. Car is a manual too.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

a huge missconception in the nitrous world is the term "you get what you pay for". just b/c our kits are cheap doesnt mean cheaper quality. our kits are just as good, if not better, than any other nitrous kit on the market today. we like to pass our great deals on to our customers thus the reason for our great prices.

can you run a nitrous kit safely for 300 bucks?? absolutely as long as your tune is spot on and your air/fuel is kept in check...but having some safety wont triple the cost of the kit...maybe a couple hundred bucks depending on what you want and get.
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

I would not putt nos in my car

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

If you want to abbreviate Nitrous, please use N2O instead of NOS. NOS is ricer slang.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by videotuning View Post
    I would not putt nos in my car
    than why are you in the nitrous section postin???

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TNTramair View Post
    than why are you in the nitrous section postin???
    lol, hes from romania, hes just lost.

i just got my hsw dry kit $260 to my door, a used bottle warmer $56, and a used purge for $60. hopefully get it installed and tuned by next month so minus the tune $376 for nitrous!

The real answer is that you can't be sure that you are safe with the basic kit for ~$300-$400. However, there are lots of used nitrous kits available in the for sale section at moderately to significantly lower prices, and a reliable and safe setup can be had for under $400 (excluding tuning) if you are willing to be patient and wait for good deals. It will likely require you buying multiple parts from multiple people to piece everything together. There's the obvious parts like the bottle, lines, wiring, solenoids, nozzle, etc that are necessary to make the system function, but on top of that I would say that a WOT/window switch and an a/f lean switch (way better than an FPSS) are good safety devices. A bottle heater is a nice to have item for consistency, but not absolutely required.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

our base dry kit starts at $279.95- http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...age=1&featured which is a pretty good starting point and sells for much cheaper bran new than most used kits you'll find on the market. even with all the safety features added to that price, you'll come in right around $400.00. so in my opinion, it could be done.

Impounded
    05 GTO

I just see all the safety stuff that everyone says you need with spray and usually the safety accessories add up to be more than the kit itself. Once you add a bottle heater, purge, fuel safety switch, blow down tube, and things like that it starts adding up quick.

Thread Information