pewter
    01 trans am ws6

autolite ar-94s random miss at idle

this is driving me crazy okay my car at idle when it sitts for awhile it starts to have a little random miss. went to the local shop and we hooked up his diagnostics tool first time we ran it everything looked good but second time we ran it ''car has been running awhile at this point'' it showed a little bit of a miss nothing big. my check engine light hasnt ever came up or anything.. he said check the plugs make sure they look good that might be it. i checked the plugs of which cyilinder that said had a slight miss. the plugs looked fine. so then he thought that maybe sense im running 2 steps colder of plug that the car is loading up on fuel and has a slight miss at idle.. the car is fine while driving dont notice any misfires what so ever. only at idle which it isnt a bad miss. question is could it be the spark plugs that are doing this.. is this a problem that could hurt the car? its driving me crazy i need a answer why its doing this. i have a 01 ws6 m6 stock besides lid ory bullet muffler no cats and nx wet kit.just bought new plug wires. also we found that it prolly has a exhaust leak. could this effect whats going on.. PLEASE HELP.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

throw a set of tr6's in there and see what happens. some cars are tempramental with differant style plugs and i dunno that auto-lites are the best thing for performance.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Oh boy @
    i dunno that auto-lites are the best thing for performance.
    Based on what? My TR6s had a slight stumble @ idle just like my 94s do. Also need to consider which plug handles the spray best...

Does the PCM throw misfire codes or are you just talking about the motor being jerky @ idle?

-Eagle

Pewter
    2002 WS6

As for the exhaust leak, that completely depends on where its leaking from. Anywhere before the O2s will hurt you. Anywhere within up to 12" of the front O2s will also hurt you... but not as bad as the upstream leaks.

HTH

Impounded

Puter
    01 TA

I too noticed the random miss at idle with copper plugs. I personally use WeaponX K6CF iridium plugs and the miss is now gone. I don't know about using them with spray though.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Oh boy @

Based on what? My TR6s had a slight stumble @ idle just like my 94s do. Also need to consider which plug handles the spray best...

Does the PCM throw misfire codes or are you just talking about the motor being jerky @ idle?

-Eagle
    based on my personal experiance seeing them in customer's cars over the years in the industry. some vehicles just dont run the same when using other style plugs other than what the manufacturer suggests. stuff like slight stumbles/missfires etc were allways the concern and were fixed after the correct plugs were installed. again, based on my personal opinion and thats all. i was makin a suggest based on opinion....cause that was what he asked for.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

eagle, no its not throwing any codes up. like you said its a slight stumble at idle like a poof noise.. just wondering if thats okay and its not anything wrong with the car? im getting the exhaust leaks fixed tomorrow

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Cool @ gettin the exhaust patched up. Bottom line, its $40 for a new set of TR6 plugs. Pop them in there and see if your stumbling goes away. If it does then you just had your car tell you which plugs it prefers!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

TR6s are less than $2 each

I know LS2tuner like the autolites, but I have run (tuned) TR6's and 55s in a LOT of setups, both nitrous and FI and have great results at the track and at the plug. I have tuned at least 2 cars that had a small idle stumble here and there on the same autolites that you are using. I can't directly say that NGKs would fix it , as they were never tried as a fix.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

okay ill look into it so they are ngk tr6 is that what i ask for when i look ask oreileys for them? can you get these at oreileys? are they 2 degrees colder like the autolite ar-94's? also meanwhile when i run these autolites is it safe to run nitrous with them with the little stumble at idle? im running a nx wet kit 150shot on stock timing so i should get 2 degrees colder shouldnt i?
    Last edited by krug07; 06-04-2008 at 08:20 PM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

TR55 = stock
    TR6 = one step colder
    BP7EFS = 2 steps colder ( i run these )
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

so should i go with 2 steps colder BP7EFSr sense im on stock timing and go with what mrr23 goes with or should i run 1 step colder and run the tr6's. Just need to know whats the safest with running stock timing. will be running a 150-100shot. thanks

Pewter
    2002 WS6

TR6 is plenty for 150HP shot, thats what HSW sold me with my kit.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If you goto autozone or wherever, they have changed the lookup number from tr6 to 4177, just a heads up. And even though the box SAYS TR6 on the outside, without telling them 4177 here in Richmond, they will argue and tell you that they don't have them and they are unable to look them up.

Thread Information