Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Question Am I Getting Robbed at the NOS Fill Station?

I have a 1999 Camazo Z28 using the NOS 5177 Dry Kit with 100HP jets and a 15lb bottle (I do have a bottle heater). I've been to the track twice with this system and have emptied my bottle after only 5 or 6 passes each time.

I only spray in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear and only from 3400RPM to 5800RPM (Window switch).

So why is my bottle down to 0PSI after a few days? Just doesn't seem right to be emptying a 15lb bottle in only 6 passes...

The bottle still feels like it has stuff in it. And at 0PSI, it still sprays out some stuff when I open it a little. The pressure gage does go up to 1000PSI when recently filled and warmed, I always close my bottle valve when Not in use and I don't hear or see any leaks in the system...

Other big question: Isn't Nitrous supposed to have some sulfer mixed into it to keep people from inhaling it? When I cracked open my bottle I didn't smell a thing...

Comments?

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Nitrous does have a bit of sulfur in it. 5-6 passes seems maybe a bit too little for a 15 lb bottle at 100 shot. I get about 5 good passes on a 150 shot on a 10 lb bottle. Maybe you should get filled somewhere else, and be sure to completely empty the bottle before filling. Also, if you can find a place that does not fill the nitrous by compressing with air, then you get a better fill also. I went to this shop that freezes the empty bottle for like an hour and then connects my bottle to his warm bottle and my cold bottle just sucks the nitrous in because of the freezing tempertures, no air in the bottle.
    2000 T/A, M6, Black
    laughing gas

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

you should be getting at least 10 passes.
    have them weigh the bottle in front of you.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Black
    97 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMYZ
    I only spray in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear and only from 3400RPM to 5800RPM (Window switch).
    Why not spray in 1st?
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_hope
    Why not spray in 1st?
    Traction.

nfswift
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Traction.
    Joke? lol.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by nfswift
    Joke? lol.
    Nope. Unless you have a dual setup or a stepped system......you hit it with 150+ shot out of the hole and watch your tires go up in smoke.....many use the dual stage system....hit it with a 50 shot then it steps up to 150+ after that....

nfswift
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Nope. Unless you have a dual setup or a stepped system......you hit it with 150+ shot out of the hole and watch your tires go up in smoke.....many use the dual stage system....hit it with a 50 shot then it steps up to 150+ after that....
    I know about that little pit fall, I was suggesting the other guy might have been joking, heh.

Shoot nos in 1st gear and try to pull out and your ass will be going sideways in no time.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by nfswift
    I know about that little pit fall, I was suggesting the other guy might have been joking, heh.

Shoot nos in 1st gear and try to pull out and your ass will be going sideways in no time.
    I'm old and senile....I thought you were speaking to me

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the advice. I definitely don't have the traction to Fog in 1st. But I will empty my bottle before filling and have it weighed before and after. Thanks!

Black
    97 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMYZ
    Thanks for the advice. I definitely don't have the traction to Fog in 1st.
    I can see how traction would be an issue with that big of a shot in first, which is too bad in a way; you could get alot more out if it if you could hook with it in first. I know with me, even just changing from spraying at 4500 rpms in first, and then trying at 3000 after gave me almost 3 tenths right there.

Red
    1988 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by brad8266
    Also, if you can find a place that does not fill the nitrous by compressing with air, then you get a better fill also. I went to this shop that freezes the empty bottle for like an hour and then connects my bottle to his warm bottle and my cold bottle just sucks the nitrous in because of the freezing tempertures, no air in the bottle.
    This is wrong information. Cyrogenic Nitrous oxide pumps that use compressed air do not mix air with the nitrous, the air is just used to operate the pump which pumps the nitrous into the customers bottle and is exhausted out the bottom of the pump. Then there is no 1-2 hour wait for the bottle to freeze. The nitrous fill station is the more professional way and the only reason more places don't have it is because most pumps stations are $600-$1000, and transfer lines are only $75.00

1999 Red / 2007 Black
    1999 Corvette / 2007 Z06

@ 100 shot, you may get 6 passes ... maybe!

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Well, I vented whatever was left in the bottle - It hissed quietly for about 5 or 6 seconds (no Sulfer smell). I ended going back to the same place that filled me the last couple of times. We'll see how it goes this time. Don't know if anyone has seen fewer places to get Nitrous, but 2 other places that I checked on didn't sell anymore - including Great Lakes Dragway. The guy at Great Lakes said they'd had some "incidents" - Sounded ominous and I didn't ask any more. The other place just said they didn't sell enough to justify having a fill station anymore...

Green
    1971 chevelle

dont worry about the sulfur smell. you really cant smell it. it just gives you a really bad headache if you catch a good whiff of it. i fill it everyday and it doesnt seem to me like you are getting ripped. check and see if they have a pump if they dont they might be charging you for a "refill" (10lbs). shady places around here do that. i weigh my bottles and i use a pump

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Regarding the sulfer smell, I'm just worried that I'm paying $75 for 15pounds of compressed air. Is there any way to tell if you're really getting nitrous?

Green
    1971 chevelle

$75!!! Holy Crap. I Sell It For 2.99 A Pound. But You Cant To 900 Psi And Get It To Weigh 15 Pounds. I Promise. But You Really Should Get More Use Out Of This Bottle I Think. Check For Leaks In All Your Fitting And Lines. Just Pressurize The System Spray The Lines And Fittings With Soapy Water And Watch For Bubbles.

Green
    1971 chevelle

But You Cant COMPRESS AIRTo 900 Psi And Get It To Weigh 15 Pounds

Thread Information