Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

LS1 w/TFS heads & H.S.R.R.'s-pushrod rubbing head!

I have a stock 99 LS1. Only mods are long tubes and a Procharger. I just installed 215 Trick Flow cylinder heads, Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio roller rockers, Trick Flow 7.5" pushrods and LS7 lifters.

I buttoned everything up and started the engine. All I got was a horrible noise like metal hitting on metal! I pulled the valve covers off and found that the pushrods are hitting on the cylinder head's pushrod hole! WTF! How can this be happening???

I noticed that the bolt hole for the rocker is offset to the pushrod hole. In my opinion, these should be perfectly inline with each other since the rockers are not offset? Am I correct in assuming this?

I have only got the pass. side valve cover off, tomorrow I will check the driverside.
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 10-19-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Pictures?

The shitty thing....if that is the case, the heads will probably have to get sent back to trickflow to have those holes opened up.
    Wouldn't be the first time I have heard of this. Knew a guy that had the problem with a set of Patriot heads. Patriot covered the work no problem, but the labor wasted sucked.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Pictures?

The shitty thing....if that is the case, the heads will probably have to get sent back to trickflow to have those holes opened up.
    Wouldn't be the first time I have heard of this. Knew a guy that had the problem with a set of Patriot heads. Patriot covered the work no problem, but the labor wasted sucked.
    No pictures yet.

I will have some tomorrow and weill be calling TFS also first thing.

So, you have heard of the same issue? Makes me feel a little better. I have gone over every possible reason for this to happen. Me and my Dad have been going nuts! I have even installed the stock rockers that I took of to see if it made a difference.

The worst part is that there is now aluminum shavings all around in the cylinder head and some are down by the lifter.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Pictures?

I am also thinking that this could have wiped out my cam! Who knows, but I guess I gotta tear that apart to! WTF

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Are the Harland Sharps adjustable?

Are the pushrods not clearing top/bottom or left/right?
    The cam should be alright. Unless the pushrod couldn't move at all.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Are the Harland Sharps adjustable?

Are the pushrods not clearing top/bottom or left/right?
    The cam should be alright. Unless the pushrod couldn't move at all.
    the pushrods are rubbing on the sides and mostly on the left side of the hole.

The Harland Sharps are not adjustable. As a matter of fact, I just found a broken rocker pedistal. This is getting worse.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Best of luck with TFS tomorrow.

Doesn't sound like a simple problem. Keep us up-to-date.
    Grab some pics so I can see what is going on exactly. If you can.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Damn, Im interested as to what TFS has to say about this. Hopefully it all works itself out, soon.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Yeah, this sucks. I am supposed to get it tuned tomorrow.

I could drill out the hole to get proper clearance for the pushrod and I can do this in a day, but I am sure that this will void the warranty. I am calling them no matter what. It is just best to send it back to them for the repair.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Wow that sucks man. Good luck. Shit never goes right when I mod my car either.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

any update?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    any update?
    No, not yet, I am about to call them.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I pulled the driverside head off also and the pushrod has been rubbing on that side as well.

I also found 2 broken Harland Sharp rockers. One has a broken pedestal and the other has a broken center shaft.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I have been discussing this issue with Greg @ Trick Flow and we have not came to a conclusion. I am going to send the heads back to them so that they can take a look at them. I am starting to think that something else is causing this other than a defective head.

I must say, Trick Flow has outstanding customer service! I took up alot of there time today discussing this and they were open minded to any possibility and willing to work with me to get my car rollin! A++

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

^^^ Thats good. Get back with updates.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

First of all, I want to clear up one thing. Trick Flows cylinder heads were not the issue or part of the problem.

I have found the cause of the problem. First of all, my lifters were not pumping up and this caused the pushrods to rub on the head. Again, nothing to do with Trick Flow.

Also, ((the worst part)) the #8 cylinder, intake rocker broke. I don't know why, but it lost contact with the pushrod and wedged itself on the side of the rocker and caused the intake valve to hit the piston. Nothing is damaged other than a rocker. I felt that I tightened each rocker down evenly. It must have just been a freak incident. I spoke with Harland Sharp and they are sending me a replacement part. they have great customer service.

As for Trick Flow, their customer service has been outstanding! I called Greg @ Trick Flow the minute I new I had a problem. He helped me find the source of the problem. He even went so far as to mock my heads and rockers up on an engine! In the past week, I have spent probably a good 2 hours or more on the phone with him and he walked me through all possibilities. Who does this? Trick Flow does this! They make an awesome product and they helped me get my car back on the road! I recommend them to everyone!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    First of all, I want to clear up one thing. Trick Flows cylinder heads were not the issue or part of the problem.

I have found the cause of the problem. First of all, my lifters were not pumping up and this caused the pushrods to rub on the head. Again, nothing to do with Trick Flow.

Also, ((the worst part)) the #8 cylinder, intake rocker broke. I don't know why, but it lost contact with the pushrod and wedged itself on the side of the rocker and caused the intake valve to hit the piston. Nothing is damaged other than a rocker. I felt that I tightened each rocker down evenly. It must have just been a freak incident. I spoke with Harland Sharp and they are sending me a replacement part. they have great customer service.

As for Trick Flow, their customer service has been outstanding! I called Greg @ Trick Flow the minute I new I had a problem. He helped me find the source of the problem. He even went so far as to mock my heads and rockers up on an engine! In the past week, I have spent probably a good 2 hours or more on the phone with him and he walked me through all possibilities. Who does this? Trick Flow does this! They make an awesome product and they helped me get my car back on the road! I recommend them to everyone!
    Sorry to hear about all that man.

What do you think caused the lifters to not pump up?? Is there something you have to do to prime them before installation?? Also, how did the lifters not pumping up cause the pushrods to touch the heads?? I would think it would just give you excessive lash between the lifter/rocker, but not cause it to be out of alignment side to side.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Sorry to hear about all that man.

What do you think caused the lifters to not pump up?? Is there something you have to do to prime them before installation?? Also, how did the lifters not pumping up cause the pushrods to touch the heads?? I would think it would just give you excessive lash between the lifter/rocker, but not cause it to be out of alignment side to side.

The lifters were brand new and the broken rocker is what caused it all.

It is best to soak the lifters in oil overnight before you install them. Some people will actually heat them up on a stove top in some engine oil.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    The lifters were brand new and the broken rocker is what caused it all.

It is best to soak the lifters in oil overnight before you install them. Some people will actually heat them up on a stove top in some engine oil.
    Gotcha. So new rocker(s), oil change, and you should be good to go??

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Gotcha. So new rocker(s), oil change, and you should be good to go??
    Yup, waiting for some new parts to come in. Hopefully it will be running again on Tuesday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information