SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    hah or build it to a 383?
    Thats even better!!

Black
    1996 3000GT VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Those engines have cast pistons with the twin turbo setup?? Or is that only because you're using a N/A 3000GT motor??
    yup even the turbo shortblock has cast pistons! weak right?

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

We re raced three times on the high way and a few from a dig...

On the highway it was very clear who was going to beat who all night long, the VR4 was much faster, from a roll you all always claim a 4WD car is slower but that wasnt the case. I dunno maybe i suck at driving my car? Maybe needa driver mod who knows. It was closer from a dig though, we went a couple of times from a dig and each time hed shift he put a couple feet on me until it was probably about a car to a two cars ahead before we both shut down. When we both split from hanging around we messed around and i saw him go for it from my rear view and went for it myself in 3rd and kept ahead of him but it was clear he was gaining and would have passed me.

Didnt mean for there to be this much HOOP LA we both decided the night before had been a misunderstanding and hes a cool guy. If i got a more agressive cam maybe or a little more work i could probably keep up better.
    Too bad for your loss. Doesn't make much sense unless he wasn't launching very high. He should of raped you from the hole. But all in all good job. Get some juice on that thing.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by deathsled View Post
    yup even the turbo shortblock has cast pistons! weak right?
    Any idea whats the stock boost pressure?? Can't imagine its too much with those stock pistons...

Sounds like a recipe for some cracked pistons if you were to up the boost too much on the stock internals.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

lol, well i plan to do lots of work over the coming year so well see where it stands again in 6 months.

Black
    1996 3000GT VR4

Any idea whats the stock boost pressure?? Can't imagine its too much with those stock pistons...
    91-93 stock boost is 9 or 10psi with a 8:1 compression motor
    94+ stock boost is 12psi with a 8:1 compression motor

I'm 13psi on 10:1

As far as cracked pistons go I know plenty of people running 25-30psi on factory short blocks

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Yeah ill def be going from a dig on anyone now on and telling them that AWD BS is just that BS.

Black Top Red
    1997 3000GT VR4

Yeah ill def be going from a dig on anyone now on and telling them that AWD BS is just that BS.
    no no no no bro... a proper awd dump = you raped

Black
    1996 3000GT VR4

Quote Originally Posted by AudibleSilence View Post
    no no no no bro... a proper awd dump = you raped
    I took him for a ride but the 1 time i tried to launch it I kind of bogged it. When we raced from a dig though I lit up all 4 tires, that was interesting from inside my car, lol

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Well anything=me losing tonight apparently.

Black
    1996 3000GT VR4

Well anything=me losing tonight apparently.
    one day man, there's a lot of potential in 5.7L thats for sure!

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Who the hell said the motors were stock?? Where are you pulling these things from?? Obviously a boosted motor is going to come forged from the factory, the LSx would need forged internals to run 30PSI.

And I hate to burst your bubble, but a 4G63 is not going to last very long at 30PSI. I've mentioned this before, we had one at our shop owned by a kid (he's a complete moron) who was running 30PSI with a "hybrid" turbo. Made somewhere around 370 completely unuseable WHP. Problem was he brought it in complaining of the oil smelling like gas. Well, when you're running 30PSI on a factory motor that isn't designed for that, fuel is going to get past the rings. So its not long before the bottom end is toast. The engine also failed a compression test and a coolant system pressure test, all with 30K miles. But you're right, they are the best engines in the world, we should sell our V8s and buy 4 cylinder Mitsubishis.

What is this world coming to...

ROFL now you're going too far. You want to see the inside of my motor after about 35,000 miles of running between 29-33psi?

Stick to things you have a knowledge of, like blind faith of the LS1.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

This thread kicked so much ass.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

hah or build it to a 383?
    If you build to a 383 you can still do the H/C/I

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Sounds like a recipe for some cracked pistons if you were to up the boost too much on the stock internals.
    BTW boost pressure means exactly dick. Relative to tuning, fueling, octane, timing, breathing modifications, and most importantly the size of the turbo.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    BTW boost pressure means exactly dick. Relative to tuning, fueling, octane, timing, breathing modifications, and most importantly the size of the turbo.
    Wrong. Boost pressure is directly related to how much pressure is being built up in the cylinders. 30PSI is going to cause a lot more stress and pressure in a cylinders than 10PSI would, thats common sense. You can tune the car perfectly with fueling, timing, high octane, breathing mods, ect, its not going to mean dick if the engine internals can't take the stress of the increased pressure. There is a reason boosted cars tend to run forged internals.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

ROFL now you're going too far. You want to see the inside of my motor after about 35,000 miles of running between 29-33psi?

Stick to things you have a knowledge of, like blind faith of the LS1.
    Who said anything about comparing it to an LS1??

I'm talking about the motor in and of itself, comparing it to nothing.

Bottom line is the motor is pretty much shot after 30K miles, mostly due to running 30PSI daily. Lets see, who should I believe, some kid on the internet whos says the engine is awesome, or my own personal experience that says the motor can't take the abuse, which I've seen first hand?? I'll go with the latter.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Wrong. Boost pressure is directly related to how much pressure is being built up in the cylinders. 30PSI is going to cause a lot more stress and pressure in a cylinders than 10PSI would, thats common sense. You can tune the car perfectly with fueling, timing, high octane, breathing mods, ect, its not going to mean dick if the engine internals can't take the stress of the increased pressure. There is a reason boosted cars tend to run forged internals.
    BZZZZT Wrong captain. You are correct in thinking that 10psi vs 30psi is going to be more stressful to the motor but you're incorrect in thinking it is due to boost pressure. Do you realize how pressurized the combustion chamber is? It makes 2 atmospheres look like a walk in the park.

Thanks for playing though.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Heavy pigs the VR4........They look awesome though.
    Agreed, been wanting to get my ass into one of those but they are so rare to find.

Solano Black Pearl
    1999 3000GT

Quote Originally Posted by hurraquio View Post
    Agreed, been wanting to get my ass into one of those but they are so rare to find.
    Funny you say they are rare... I hardly ever see SS camaros.. I know a guy with an auto convertible SS with like 30k on it... bought it brand new and it's as mint as can be. NA 3000gts are pretty common but TT's are very random to see... only seen a few just from driving around.

BTW to those that don't know a whole lot about our motors... stock internals have been proven to withstand 700+ hp... if you read a little info on our forums it has been done. We have beefy motors but if you don't do proper upgrades they can explode like any other.

I'd be surprised if the camaro didn't take the vr-4 off the line for a smidge... V8s tend to do that to mildly modified vr-4s.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information