Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    That's a nice story. Damn that's too bad they had to go with a blower setup to outrun a Focus.
    Ever tried to run with a SVT Focus through corners?
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 99 Kobra View Post
    Ever tried to run with a SVT Focus through corners?
    Yeah, as a matter of fact I sure have. Through Pikes Peak when I was on the bottle!

NAW, seriously I know those things can handle. But I would think that the Cobra should have been up to the task with it's IRS and all.

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

Yeah, as a matter of fact I sure have. Through Pikes Peak when I was on the bottle!

NAW, seriously I know those things can handle. But I would think that the Cobra should have been up to the task with it's IRS and all.
    The Cobra prototype was faster through the corners than the Focus, just not fast enough for Coletti. He wanted something that would blow the doors off of a '01 Cobra and that's what he got.

10's N/A

The Cobra prototype was faster through the corners than the Focus, just not fast enough for Coletti. He wanted something that would blow the doors off of a '01 Cobra and that's what he got.
    He wanted something that would blow the doors off a Focus in the twisties...and an LS1 F-body in the straights. They accomplished what they were lookin' for, that's for sure.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

That's a nice story. Damn that's too bad they had to go with a blower setup to outrun a Focus.
    LMAO

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

Are you sure you know what a Terminator looks like?
    Yeah, I'm talking about stock Cobra's at that time. To be honest, I have know idea what the fu*k a "Terminator" is, and I could care less. Ford never called their Mustangs that..so If Steve Saleen, Caroll Shelby, or some over overarrated fart is calling a simple ponycar w/add-ons that name...god forgive me. Getting back to the point on styling..again style is like art it is an opinion, so it's dumb for us to say one car's prettier than another. My point on the styling of the "TERMINATOR...I'll save you John Connors" Mustang is that the body looks like a run of the mill v-6 with scary cobra badges, and dual exhausts...sorry if I missed a fake "funcional hood scoop"..(oops, that's the mustang GT). My final ranting is that that Cobra was a hell of a racer, but the factory styling was too vanilla.

actually, it is pretty lame to call it a fucking terminator. What, did schwarzenegger fucking name it?

Its a Cobra.

red
    2002 Camaro SS

Oh no he di'nt.
    1970 Corvette 350/30 , 4spd, Completely stock original
    2002 Camaro SS 6 spd, hurst shifter, exhaust, ZO6 Rims
    2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by JVOJR View Post
    I owned an 03 Grand Prix GTP. I bought it because of the supercharger. It was a lot easier to make more power on a GTP than a non-sc GT. A smaller pulley, headers, rockers, downpipe, cai, new computer, and some other misc stuff made that car very quick. 350z's, EVO's, STi's, non-sc mustangs, and a bunch of others were very surprised to see my tail lights. My guess is you could easily do the same to a cobra but probably not for the $2400 it cost to mod the GTP. The cobra's a bit more sophisticated. I also avg'd 27-28 mpg in the GTP. The SS is nearly the same. My friend's cobra doesn't get close to that. He gets around 250 miles from a tank of gas, somewhere around 17 mpg. My plan is to mod the valvetrain a bit to safely shift at 7k rpm and, once I research it a little more, a few other supporting mods. I could use a few tips on what works best as a good starting point though.
    Jack

High RPM's does not necessarily equal Power. My car shifts at 6200, and I run in the 11's all motor. It is dangerous to rev over 6000 RPM's without doing work to the internals of the motor (crank shaft, pistons ETC). Get some spray if you are looking to beat him cheap, and if not go with a cam, gears, headers, intake, and a tune. It is fairly easy to get into the 11's with an LS1 if you have the money.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    High RPM's does not necessarily equal Power. My car shifts at 6200, and I run in the 11's all motor. It is dangerous to rev over 6000 RPM's without doing work to the internals of the motor (crank shaft, pistons ETC). Get some spray if you are looking to beat him cheap, and if not go with a cam, gears, headers, intake, and a tune. It is fairly easy to get into the 11's with an LS1 if you have the money.
    a LS6 in a Z06 revs past 6k. considering the LS6 has the same bottom end as a LS1, how isnt it safe to spin it past 6k?
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    a LS6 in a Z06 revs past 6k. considering the LS6 has the same bottom end as a LS1, how isnt it safe to spin it past 6k?
    I spin mine to 6400 quite often. All I have up top is GM "yellow" springs and head work. You can definitely spin past 6K with no issues. People do it all the time.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

red
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I spin mine to 6400 quite often. All I have up top is GM "yellow" springs and head work. You can definitely spin past 6K with no issues. People do it all the time.
    How much past 6k rpms can you spin safely without loosing a bearing or worse? In my GTP the main issue was floating a valve so I installed new springs with the new 1.9 rockers and I shifted at 6300 rpms all the time. What's the rev limiter set at on the LS6? Should I just limit it to 6400-6500 max and that's it?
    Jack

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

my 224 cam is set to 6400 rpm.
    i believe the Z06/LS6 is set to the same if not a tad bit more.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, I have figured out I have no limited on my car one day on my stupid phone. I took off from a stop light and had to make a crazy turn right away. Thing shot up to almost 7K. I of course shit my pants and disengaged the clutch. I would stay right around 6300-6400. I would go much over.

You are probably not making power past 5900-6000 RPM anyways. No reason to go much over unless you have a stupid crazy cam like some on the street. If you stop making power at 5900RPM... Shift 400 RPM after that. Right?

NBM
    '00 Z28

First I'd like to say to the OP, when you mess with the bull you get the horns. Second, good for you for not backing down to a tougher car.

Going fast is only as far away as the time it takes you to earn money. The LS1 F-body is no slouch, but to think it's the fastest thing on wheels has obvious flaws. It's the sort of mentality I've seen even amongst LS1 owners. Some people think because they have the SS or WS6 package they're car is faster than others. Sadly, not true.

If you want to play with an '03-'04 Cobra, do some research and spend a couple tax returns.

Silver
    03 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    It's a corvette killer... they were in to smack the shit out of GM's big boy for 10-20k less (non zo6 models of course)... and honestly in my vette i would just let a termy roll by... he was a waste of my gas and pride...

Yes Yes i know a vette will outhandle a termy... but honestly most street cred is made in a straght line...

-me
    well... a C5 with base FE1 suspension vs a 03 Cobra in handling is VERY close.. yes a FE1(Z51) suspension C5 will take a Terminator, but not the base FE1 suspension.. yes I've owned both cars, 1998 FE1 C5 Targa coupe and 03 SVT Cobra coupe..

Black
    05 mustang GT modded

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I'm not sure I'd want to rev the stock bottom end much beyond 6600.

And a word from the wise: No matter how fast you are there is somebody out there who is faster than you.
    Truth

Quote Originally Posted by drummer52910 View Post
    I was really disappointed with the new GT500. Way too heavy and expensive.
    Yeah, but Carol Shelby's is a big name. You're going to pay for that name especially since he's old and bout to be gone.
    Last edited by Camarofan; 09-25-2008 at 06:52 AM.

Dark Teal
    1997 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I'm not sure I'd want to rev the stock bottom end much beyond 6600.

And a word from the wise: No matter how fast you are there is somebody out there who is faster than you.
    There is no reason to try and rev high...you can make plenty of power without revving to the moon...plus you will have less wear and from what this guy said (I'm not sure about LS1's bottom end) you will have a functioning car!

Quote Originally Posted by JVOJR View Post
    How much past 6k rpms can you spin safely without loosing a bearing or worse? In my GTP the main issue was floating a valve so I installed new springs with the new 1.9 rockers and I shifted at 6300 rpms all the time. What's the rev limiter set at on the LS6? Should I just limit it to 6400-6500 max and that's it?
    Jack
    That 6300 rpm was pointless...I rev to 5900-6000 and I make more power than your GTP did...my aftermarket cam makes peak horsepower around 5800 rpm...high revs is not important, horsepower and torque are important, you want to shift just after your peak power, be it at 5500 or 6500 rpm

Get a nice sized cam, it should take you to about 6200-6400 rpm and make good power without requiring too many other parts...or rebuild the whole thing
    Last edited by Raptor285; 09-25-2008 at 08:16 AM.
    '97 GTP- 390hp, HPTuners, PLX WB

http://www.fquick.com/Raptor285

Thread Information