Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

your going to spin a bearing if you take that stock bottom end to 7000 rpm.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

Quote Originally Posted by drummer52910 View Post
    Yes much simpler. And yes the cobras 8.8" rear end is much stronger than the 7.5" 10-bolt found in f-bodies. Why would i waste time building the top end of my motor? The Kenne Bell 2.6 kit is desingned for stock motors, and makes 700 reliable peak HP. Thats plenty to satisfy me. Nothing against building a reliable 700 HP LS1, i just didnt wanted to all the work necessary to support it.
    I wouldnt say the 8.8 irs is stronger the halfshafts and housing are known to break fairly easy

10's N/A

Yes much simpler. And yes the cobras 8.8" rear end is much stronger than the 7.5" 10-bolt found in f-bodies. Why would i waste time building the top end of my motor? The Kenne Bell 2.6 kit is desingned for stock motors, and makes 700 reliable peak HP. Thats plenty to satisfy me. Nothing against building a reliable 700 HP LS1, i just didnt want to do all the work necessary to support it.
    Like I said in my previous post. You have to account the entire cost of the car to go along with the cost of modding. Unless the car was a free gift, it's all going to come out your pocket anyways. A Cobra is considerably a more expensive car to buy. All aside from the fact that you may lack mechanical ability or the time to do extensive work to an engine, the Cobra may be easier but still cost more overall.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

Well true the cost may equal out assuming both cars are clean low mileage cars to start with. I really just dont have the mechanical ability to properally build an LS1 car to make serious power, therefore i chose the easier of the two.

10's N/A

Well true the cost may equal out assuming both cars are clean low mileage cars to start with. I really just dont have the mechanical ability to properally build an LS1 car to make serious power, therefore i chose the easier of the two.
    Perfectly understandable. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Ford made it too easy to make serious power with those cars. I wish my '98 Cobra would of been that bad from the factory.

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

The '03 Mustang Cobras were a weird beast. For some reason Ford blew the hell out of their dohc v-8's to compete, but the strange thing is that the z-28/ss camaros were dead at the time...not exactly sure who Ford were competing agains'nt. Ford blew it on the styling though, it looked like a "secretary edition" mustang, despite the bad-ass engine. The Mach-1 was alot sweeter looking in my opinion. But yeah, that car would run 4.5 seconds in the 0-60 time..hell lot quicker than any SS or Z-28 at the time (stock). As bad as people feel about those old Cobras, I have alot more respect on those vs. the overpriced 500 series Shelby is selling his name out now for $50K!!! Liked him better in the 80's when he souped up those god awful dodge chargers!

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    The '03 Mustang Cobras were a weird beast. For some reason Ford blew the hell out of their dohc v-8's to compete, but the strange thing is that the z-28/ss camaros were dead at the time...not exactly sure who Ford were competing agains'nt. Ford blew it on the styling though, it looked like a "secretary edition" mustang, despite the bad-ass engine. The Mach-1 was alot sweeter looking in my opinion. But yeah, that car would run 4.5 seconds in the 0-60 time..hell lot quicker than any SS or Z-28 at the time (stock). As bad as people feel about those old Cobras, I have alot more respect on those vs. the overpriced 500 series Shelby is selling his name out now for $50K!!! Liked him better in the 80's when he souped up those god awful dodge chargers!
    I never quite understood why Ford did the Cobra that way either. Either they didn't know the F-bodies were really meeting their demise in 2002, and the Terminator was a true response to the bashing GM did to the Mustangs prior - OR, Ford knew the whole time the F-body was no longer going to be around and the Termy was a pure slap in the face for previous 10 years. Any how, they did a good job!
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

I was really disappointed with the new GT500. Way too heavy and expensive.

red
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    your going to spin a bearing if you take that stock bottom end to 7000 rpm.
    Is that what happens?

1966 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I never quite understood why Ford did the Cobra that way either. Either they didn't know the F-bodies were really meeting their demise in 2002, and the Terminator was a true response to the bashing GM did to the Mustangs prior - OR, Ford knew the whole time the F-body was no longer going to be around and the Termy was a pure slap in the face for previous 10 years. Any how, they did a good job!
    It's a corvette killer... they were in to smack the shit out of GM's big boy for 10-20k less (non zo6 models of course)... and honestly in my vette i would just let a termy roll by... he was a waste of my gas and pride...

Yes Yes i know a vette will outhandle a termy... but honestly most street cred is made in a straght line...

-me

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

It's funny how I hear people say that all the time: It won't cost a lot. Figure in the price of the whole car (Cobra) along with those bolt-ons, compared to what you could get an F-body for now days. From that aspect the whole picture looks completely different.
    im talking about a dollar to dollar ratio for horsepower from mods.
    also a full optioned out firehawk wasnt all that much cheaper than an 03 cobra
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Mach1's are the ugliest of the Mustangs. I'd take an 03 cobra over just about any body style.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    Mach1's are the ugliest of the Mustangs. I'd take an 03 cobra over just about any body style.
    I would have to agree with you there. 03-04's are sexy beasts, those and Elenor are the only mustangs I would ever own. Nice to see a thread about Cobras that doesn't turn into a COMPLETE bitch fest and get locked. Rare, rare indeed.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Like I said in my previous post. You have to account the entire cost of the car to go along with the cost of modding. Unless the car was a free gift, it's all going to come out your pocket anyways. A Cobra is considerably a more expensive car to buy.
    Then stop comparing the Cobra to the stripped or under optioned F-bodies. There were plenty of F-body models at the exact same or higher price of Cobras.

The new mustangs do suck though!

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    Then stop comparing the Cobra to the stripped or under optioned F-bodies. There were plenty of F-body models at the exact same or higher price of Cobras.

The new mustangs do suck though!
    Were talking car vs. car. If you can find a high mileage termy as cheap as you can a similar LS1, then be my guess. It's not my fault that you can get an LS1 car for cheaper.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Were talking car vs. car. If you can find a high mileage termy as cheap as you can a similar LS1, then be my guess. It's not my fault that you can get an LS1 car for cheaper.
    Termi's are way too overpriced.

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

"be my guest"

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

if you wanna talk about cheap speed, get a rice rocket then.
    it will own all.

red
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    it will own all.
    Besides the 9-10 second track only cars and the hardly street friendly 11-sec ricers, what others do you mean? If we were talking about bang for buck, it would take a lot more cash, parts, and time to get a ricer into the 11's then an LS1 or...please don't make me list them all.
    Time for a new thread. We have really driven off topic here.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Justin23454 View Post
    "be my guest"
    Oops! Was in a rush to get to work. Typed faster than I could think. But I appreciate your correction. Let's me know that I am still more than important and never unnoticed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    it will own all.
    Remember were talking about LS1's and Cobra's here. NOT Honda's.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information