Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by D!ck View Post
    No I actually got beat by the driver. He was ready to race and I was cruising down the road in D.

When you are pulling em in. In third you are beating the car.

I wish I could just find you on a highway show you some speed and that would settle it all, but this is the net and you gota do your flame thing.

You did not just want to ask me about my car.

FIRST SENTENCE FIRST POST!!!

Dont misremember, you said "I would say good race if you didn't already seem to have a big head about it."

Ya you were totaly impartial out of the gate????

your right your just a nice guy that wants to know some spec's.

Got all your spec's right here

Do you really have a gm? or just another F O R D acronym

yes 13's would be fast for the tank, but that aint its game. I got a n2o 350 that is more that speed. stop light KILLA

you cant even do burnout's in the benz, ESP flips the fuck out. I guess they dont think anybody would want to fry pilot's?
    ill run ya!

Black & Brilliant Silver
    1999&1997 SL600 6.0 V12's

What are you doing tuesday night? I would love to check out your car. I love gm I work for gm and I own an old chevy pickup. My bro had a 01 SS pacesetter ceramic longtubes offroad Y, B&B tri's, fast 90 90, tune.

Thats what got me on the LS1.com

it ran 13.1 at 111mph

sold as bone stock never alterd.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

No I actually got beat by the driver. He was ready to race and I was cruising down the road in D.

When you are pulling em in. In third you are beating the car.
    I'm just trying to get the facts straight. It's not about bashing you. Things just don't add up. I would agree with your last statement if both cars were autos, but one of them was not, and when it comes to a manually shifted car, a poor driver can make a big difference. Most people don't understand that it doesn't damage the engine to spin it to redline. The guy could easily have been short shifting 1000 rpm before red-line, which would be enough to significantly hamper performance. Did he start in 2nd or 3rd?

That the vette is faster in the article you linked is understandable because the C6's base curb weight is approximately 3200 lbs (http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-corvette.html). The base curb weight for a GT500 is ~3950 lbs. So, lbs/hp for the vette is 3200/400 = 8 and for the GT500 is 3950/500 = 7.9. That difference is small enough to be overcome by aerodynamics, and driving (even with pros). Also, a car's exact weight and power is never exactly equal to the factory specs. So, if the vette was making 415 and the GT500 actually weighed 4030 lbs, now the power to weight is in favor of thee vette: 7.7 vs. 8.06. But, lbs/hp with your SL600 is 4400/389 = 11.3. Your car would have to be 500 lbs lighter or make 50 more hp to be in the same ballpark as these cars, and lets not forget that automatics are less efficient at transfering power to the ground than manual trannies.

As a side note, lbs/hp for a '97-'00 C5 is 3250/345 = 9.42. So, I wish I lived close enough to test the real world results against how we mathematically stack up. Against a vette, I don't think you'd have an aerodynamic advantage, either. So, the SL shouldn't hang at any speed.

It's all bench racing, but the bottom line is that there is no quantifiable reason that your automatic SL600 should be running down any of these cars. The math says it's not even close. What explanation makes sense? Was the MB way way underrated? The only possible advantage for the SL against only the Shelby is aerodynamics. Though it's not something I've actually seen the numbers on, I'm fairly certain that the stang's aero is worse than the benz's. That's not going to matter, though, until you get well into triple digit speeds. So maybe you win a race against a GT500 from 130-155. The most apparent, and thus most probably correct answer, is that the GT500 driver sucked and you didn't. So, good for you, now lose the elitest attitude.

And yes, I've actually got 2 GMs. One of them is an LS1 - a '97 vette as I already mentioned. The other is a GMC Suburban with a small block 350. I'm not a GT500 fanboy, either. That's not what this is about. I think their performance is lackluster, too. To me, they're overweight pigs, that look good and even perform well, but do not live up to their hype. I'll wait for the next gen vette - don't particularly like the C6's lines. C5s are still the best looking vettes. As far as the GT500, they'd be far more interesting car if they went on a 500 lbs diet. I'd personally like to see a 2009 Cobra R with about 700 lbs of weight reduction, and a hopped up 600-650 hp KB supercharged 5.4L or a 550+ hp n/a version of Ford's developmental larger displacement V8. If they made it, that would be the first new Mustang I ever purchased.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Arnold; 08-26-2008 at 04:50 AM.

BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

I was wrong its not motor trend it was car and driver. I just google'd vette vs gt500.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

However, when it comes to pure performance, the GT500 has trouble hanging with the Vette. It prevailed in only two tests, beating the Vette in the lane change by 1.3 mph and outgunning the Chevy in the 50-to-70-mph top-gear acceleration run — 8.8 seconds versus 9.1.

I should go out and by a ricestang. IT ALREADY HAS THE STICKER!!!!!!
    WOW!! I can't believe the ls2 corvette walked all over the gt500 with its 500 hp I thought the gt500 was more in line with the z06 with the zo6 hAVING 505 hp but this means that the ls3 corvette will kill the gt500 LOL!!! aND IT STILL HAS LESS HORSEPOWER THAN THE GT500!!!

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Exactly right. The GT500 just doesn't live up to expectation. Waiting to see how the new "KR" model does. Not expecting much, though. I think it's only good for another 40 hp.

BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

Does anyone have a link to the ls3 vette performance numbers? or a article of the ls3 vette vs another car? Thanks!!

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Think this is what you wanna see:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...tte/specs.html

BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

thanks

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    I'm just trying to get the facts straight. It's not about bashing you. Things just don't add up. I would agree with your last statement if both cars were autos, but one of them was not, and when it comes to a manually shifted car, a poor driver can make a big difference. Most people don't understand that it doesn't damage the engine to spin it to redline. The guy could easily have been short shifting 1000 rpm before red-line, which would be enough to significantly hamper performance. Did he start in 2nd or 3rd?

That the vette is faster in the article you linked is understandable because the C6's base curb weight is approximately 3200 lbs (http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-corvette.html). The base curb weight for a GT500 is ~3950 lbs. So, lbs/hp for the vette is 3200/400 = 8 and for the GT500 is 3950/500 = 7.9. That difference is small enough to be overcome by aerodynamics, and driving (even with pros). Also, a car's exact weight and power is never exactly equal to the factory specs. So, if the vette was making 415 and the GT500 actually weighed 4030 lbs, now the power to weight is in favor of thee vette: 7.7 vs. 8.06. But, lbs/hp with your SL600 is 4400/389 = 11.3. Your car would have to be 500 lbs lighter or make 50 more hp to be in the same ballpark as these cars, and lets not forget that automatics are less efficient at transfering power to the ground than manual trannies.

As a side note, lbs/hp for a '97-'00 C5 is 3250/345 = 9.42. So, I wish I lived close enough to test the real world results against how we mathematically stack up. Against a vette, I don't think you'd have an aerodynamic advantage, either. So, the SL shouldn't hang at any speed.

It's all bench racing, but the bottom line is that there is no quantifiable reason that your automatic SL600 should be running down any of these cars. The math says it's not even close. What explanation makes sense? Was the MB way way underrated? The only possible advantage for the SL against only the Shelby is aerodynamics. Though it's not something I've actually seen the numbers on, I'm fairly certain that the stang's aero is worse than the benz's. That's not going to matter, though, until you get well into triple digit speeds. So maybe you win a race against a GT500 from 130-155. The most apparent, and thus most probably correct answer, is that the GT500 driver sucked and you didn't. So, good for you, now lose the elitest attitude.

And yes, I've actually got 2 GMs. One of them is an LS1 - a '97 vette as I already mentioned. The other is a GMC Suburban with a small block 350. I'm not a GT500 fanboy, either. That's not what this is about. I think their performance is lackluster, too. To me, they're overweight pigs, that look good and even perform well, but do not live up to their hype. I'll wait for the next gen vette - don't particularly like the C6's lines. C5s are still the best looking vettes. As far as the GT500, they'd be far more interesting car if they went on a 500 lbs diet. I'd personally like to see a 2009 Cobra R with about 700 lbs of weight reduction, and a hopped up 600-650 hp KB supercharged 5.4L or a 550+ hp n/a version of Ford's developmental larger displacement V8. If they made it, that would be the first new Mustang I ever purchased.

Chris
    Sure he probably beat the driver and not the car. Your point is? Somebodies feathers sure seem to get ruffled everytime a Ford is mentioned in a kill story, yet they swear up and down everytime there not a Ford Fan Body. Yet, like a bird of prey waiting on the highest post above, he only chimes in on a discussion whenever there is a Ford vehicle of some sort is in question. Other than that, he has nothing fundamental to talk about. Why waste precious bandwidth to prove someone else's kill story to be false?

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Hi there, and welcome back for round 12 of our never-ending discussion. Your involvement took about a day longer than usual.
    Sure he probably beat the driver and not the car.
    We're agreed then. Cool, for about a second after I saw your name and the quote, I figured I was in for another long and articulate debate. phew, guess that won't be necessary this time.

Your point is?

Um?... that sort of....was the point. And, it's relevant because the guy thinks to highly of his car. You know, the whole part where "it's just badass" and "motortrend says it's the greatest." et al...

I'm sure that I chime in on more Ford threads than any other, but that's because I'm not as biased against them as the vast majority of people on this board. So, more outlandish things are said, and less people confront the BS. That said, if I were to happen across this thread and the C6Z06 was the subject of his race, I would have replied in kind. The only difference is that I would be the 12th person to say something instead of the first.

I'm sure he appreciates you coming to the rescue for him, but since you just agreed with me, I'm not sure that you helped his position.

As always, I enjoyed the discussion.

Chris

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

looks like some dousch baggery is being displayed in here... also some magazine racing being compared to the actual race...

D!CK... good race...

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

You guys crack me up! The guy drives an over two-ton Mercedes that's almost 10 years old. The valets at parking lots in Southern California park those out back.
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    looks like some dousch baggery is being displayed in here... also some magazine racing being compared to the actual race...

D!CK... good race...
    Brilliant post, Spaz.... except for the part where it was the OP that brought in the magazine, Douche bag.

My points have nothing to do with magazine times, but the actual power and weight of the cars in question. Would you care to dispute the facts or physics? Or do you admit that I'm right, too?

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Arnold; 08-26-2008 at 11:59 AM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Brilliant post, Spaz.... except for the part where it was the OP that brought in the magazine, Douche bag.

My points have nothing to do with magazine times, but the actual power and weight of the cars in question. Would you care to dispute the facts or physics? Or do you admit that I'm right, too?

Chris
    the problem is you and a few others are flaming the guy... now take a look at your brilliant posts and stop flaming... and this isn't grammer school or a spelling bee...

10's N/A

Chris
    I'd be careful who I called a "Douche Bag" if I were you Chris. It might be important to do some research around the Forum before making any points! That's all i'm gonna say.

Quote Originally Posted by 99 Kobra View Post
    You guys crack me up! The guy drives an over two-ton Mercedes that's almost 10 years old. The valets at parking lots in Southern California park those out back.
    The only problem is his 10-YEAR OLD V12 Benz is probably still worth more than your Ford and Bimmer resale values put together.

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post

The only problem is his 10-YEAR OLD V12 Benz is probably still worth more than your Ford and Bimmer resale values put together.
    Well, I'm not the one who is trying to impress everyone with the car he owns, he is.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

What, you don't think I've run into Spaz and some of his more interesting posts in 7 years here? I know my join date says '06, but I've gone under 2 other names on this forum since '01. Never been banned or even suspended, yet... Sometimes shit happens, though. Why, did spaz become a moderator? If so, then I guess this is me: Maybe it's time for username #4.

And Spaz, I get that this isn't grammar school, or a spelling bee. So, I'll stop flaming you and this guy... Time to let a dead horse lie, I guess.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Arnold; 08-26-2008 at 01:27 PM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

What, you don't think I've run into Spaz and some of his more interesting posts in 7 years here? I know my join date says '06, but I've gone under 2 other names on this forum since '01. Never been banned or even suspended, yet... Sometimes shit happens, though. Why, did spaz become a moderator? If so, then I guess this is me: Maybe it's time for username #4.

And Spaz, I get that this isn't grammar school, or a spelling bee. So, I'll stop flaming you and this guy... Time to let a dead horse lie, I guess.

Chris
    i'm not trying to bust any ones balls... i'm trying to stop the process that is already on going...
    i'm a moderator because i take pride in this site and offered to help how ever it is deemed fit... i want every one on here to have a good time even if they don't own a LSx powered vehicle... being a mod isn't always easy either when you got to give a friend an infraction...

Black & Brilliant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 99 Kobra View Post
    Well, I'm not the one who is trying to impress everyone with the car he owns, he is.
    So every guy that buy's a car is to impress people? I just wanted something fast and smooth. I posted in this thread about speed, that I went fast.

THAT IS THE POINT OF A KILL THREAD.

I guess I should have bought a Kia nobody gets intimidated by a Kia.

Black & Brilliant Silver

Also new rule NO KILL's in the KILL's Section. Other wise your head is to BIG.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information